Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 123,543 times)

Frosty Venom

What a great read.

Would this be set before or after Alien 3?

SM

SM

Before.

It's more or less concurrent with Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Not had a chance to listen to yet >>

https://soundcloud.com/quietearthus/alex-white-interview-alien-the-cold-forge-a-big-ship-at-the-edge-of-the-universe-and-more

HuDaFuK

Ooh nice, I'll have to give that a go at some point.

Gutted he stopped doing his chapter-by-chapter commentary :( I was really enjoying that.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Give him a prod on the old Tweeter.

HuDaFuK

One of these days I'm gonna have to give in and sign up to that.

Corporal Hicks

Excellent. Another follower! You guys should get Xenopedia hooked up with social presence too.

HuDaFuK

I said "one of these days", bitch. They ain't got my ass yet :P

Yeah, we really should. I'm just a total goon when it comes to stuff like that :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Understandable

Personally I probably will never have twitter. I have a barely active Facebook and thats more than enough.

Oasis Nadrama

Thanks to forum members, such as SM, Samhain and Nightmare Asylum, who talked about Cold Forge in other threads, I learned about this novel. I was intrigued - I'm a sucker for good literary spin offs, such as Babylon 5's Psi Corps Trilogy or The Thing Zero Day - and since I'm in an Alien monomania phase these days, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the book.

And by the Engineers, it is AWESOME! <3 <3 <3

Past the terrible cover (the novel really deserves better cover art... in fact, no novel deserves cover art this bad), everything is good. The style is elegant and efficient, the pacing harmonious, the atmosphere thick and repulsive. I don't think I've ever read an Alien text which grasped the horror and beauty of the Giger beast like this. Even Foster's super creepy novelization of the first movie pales in comparison to White's masterpiece.

The story is structured around two magnificent characters. Blue Marsalis is an almost paralyzed, dying queer black scientist, in love with a female coworker; she uses a male robotic body to interact with the environment. Dorian Sulder is a sociopathic rich cishet white man, auditor for the Company, a perfect social predator with an artistic side, who quickly understand his true call when facing the impossible creature. Both characters will be lead to do terrible things, for different reasons, and a strong tension will develop between them, leading to a powerful conclusion.
The support cast contains some interesting characters, namely Anne, Marcus and Kambili, while making it painfully obvious that the extras are not just canon fodder, but human beings whose end will be a tragedy. Each aspect of the story is well-thought and executed, and you finish the book even before realizing you've started it, happy but hungry for more, and still haunted by the idea of the plagiarus praepotens as the real face of the obsidian nightmare.

THANK YOU Alex White for such a great experience!

Perfect-Organism

Well said.  I hope we get a graphic novel of this soon, if not a film.

The Old One

The Old One

Or the recognition it deserves.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 28, 2019, 04:25:12 AM
Thanks to forum members, such as SM, Samhain and Nightmare Asylum, who talked about Cold Forge in other threads, I learned about this novel. I was intrigued - I'm a sucker for good literary spin offs, such as Babylon 5's Psi Corps Trilogy or The Thing Zero Day - and since I'm in an Alien monomania phase these days, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the book.

And by the Engineers, it is AWESOME! <3 <3 <3

Past the terrible cover (the novel really deserves better cover art... in fact, no novel deserves cover art this bad), everything is good. The style is elegant and efficient, the pacing harmonious, the atmosphere thick and repulsive. I don't think I've ever read an Alien text which grasped the horror and beauty of the Giger beast like this. Even Foster's super creepy novelization of the first movie pales in comparison to White's masterpiece.

The story is structured around two magnificent characters. Blue Marsalis is an almost paralyzed, dying queer black scientist, in love with a female coworker; she uses a male robotic body to interact with the environment. Dorian Sulder is a sociopathic rich cishet white man, auditor for the Company, a perfect social predator with an artistic side, who quickly understand his true call when facing the impossible creature. Both characters will be lead to do terrible things, for different reasons, and a strong tension will develop between them, leading to a powerful conclusion.
The support cast contains some interesting characters, namely Anne, Marcus and Kambili, while making it painfully obvious that the extras are not just canon fodder, but human beings whose end will be a tragedy. Each aspect of the story is well-thought and executed, and you finish the book even before realizing you've started it, happy but hungry for more, and still haunted by the idea of the plagiarus praepotens as the real face of the obsidian nightmare.

THANK YOU Alex White for such a great experience!

Great review, you should join us in harassing Titan Books for another Novel or Sequel from Alex White. Follow us on twitter  https://twitter.com/Engineer_LV426/status/1100945805605666816

The Old One

The Old One

Hardback and Sequel! Hardback and Sequel! Hardback and Sequel!
Hardback and Sequel! Hardback and Sequel! Hardback and Sequel!

Still Collating...

Sequel or not. Just let White return to the alien universe in anyway shape or form. I'm definitely hungry for more. Though a direct sequel would be fantastic...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed