AvPGalaxy Podcast #55 - Predator 30th Anniversary Retrospective

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 08, 2017, 07:06:16 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #55 - Predator 30th Anniversary Retrospective (Read 8,796 times)

Highland

Quote from: GreybackElder on Sep 21, 2017, 08:20:59 PM
Quote from: Highland on Sep 21, 2017, 01:02:49 PM
Just caught up good episode. Particularly like Hicks saying so ( starts question) - xenomorphine butts in , talks for 12 minutes, Hicks - "yeah so that question" lol

I think the part Xenomorphine mentions about the transition on the waterfall scene in the remaster isn't anything to do with the remaster. That scene was always pixelated, like it was shot on a different camera. Predator has a few of these scenes ( Random drastic drops in quality). Pretty sure the scene where Blane thinks he's found something and it's a rodent also looks jarring in quality. They were all in the original like that.

Also Ridgetop do you have the ltd edition Camo version of the  LP soundtrack ? Fatbeats got them back in, think there was only 1300 made. I snagged one the other day.
I enjoyed the podcast as well. I agree it did get a little bogged down in moments but overall good stuff. In regards to the waterfall scene, I remember hearing an interview about that part. Something to do with the wrong film in camera B?

You can never get bogged down in predator!

Sounds possible about the camera. I'd always assumed it was a B team not on location filling in shots.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Highland on Sep 21, 2017, 09:20:50 PM

Can never talk too much about Predator! Xenomorphine did have plenty to say in this episode and I always welcome good talk but I've always gotta steer it too so no harm!  :)

QuoteSounds possible about the camera. I'd always assumed it was a B team not on location filling in shots.

Completely agree, though. That footage looked poor on the DVD release and I can't remember back to the VHS. Unfortunately I've never been able to see Predator on the big screen (hoping that changes later this year. Some cinemas over here appear to be doing showings for the UK anniversary date).

I've not heard the story behind that before though. Do you have a link Grey?

SiL

SiL

The quality turns to shit mostly in shots where it looks like they lost light during filming (Mac talking about having set up the tripwires is the worst), which is understandable if the film stock they were using wasn't rated for the lighting conditions and they had to push it in the lab.

At the end with Arnie and the Pred's cat and mouse game, where the entire sequence is at night, the quality is largely consistent, which you'd expect if they were filming with an appropriate film stock.

(Alternatively the low-light stock they had on location was shit, which would equally explain it. Either way, stock problems.)

GreybackElder

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 22, 2017, 08:36:37 AM
Quote from: Highland on Sep 21, 2017, 09:20:50 PM

Can never talk too much about Predator! Xenomorphine did have plenty to say in this episode and I always welcome good talk but I've always gotta steer it too so no harm!  :)

QuoteSounds possible about the camera. I'd always assumed it was a B team not on location filling in shots.

Completely agree, though. That footage looked poor on the DVD release and I can't remember back to the VHS. Unfortunately I've never been able to see Predator on the big screen (hoping that changes later this year. Some cinemas over here appear to be doing showings for the UK anniversary date).

I've not heard the story behind that before though. Do you have a link Grey?
Unfortunately I don't. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe I heard it from the behind the scenes in Predator.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Sep 22, 2017, 11:19:42 AM
The quality turns to shit mostly in shots where it looks like they lost light during filming (Mac talking about having set up the tripwires is the worst), which is understandable if the film stock they were using wasn't rated for the lighting conditions and they had to push it in the lab.

At the end with Arnie and the Pred's cat and mouse game, where the entire sequence is at night, the quality is largely consistent, which you'd expect if they were filming with an appropriate film stock.

(Alternatively the low-light stock they had on location was shit, which would equally explain it. Either way, stock problems.)

The waterfall shot looks like it's in the day. It could be light, I'd still side with different camera though. The waterfall scene could also be something to do with it being slowed down.

Edit: Searching around the web, it actually appears to be archived footage of another person. Found it on a gaffs website. Not sure if true though, but would make sense.

SiL

The camera wouldn't actually affect the image that much, it would still be the film stock.

It's also possible the waterfall shot was zoomed in to focus on Dutch, which would likewise cause issues.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Ridgetop do you have the ltd edition Camo version of the  LP soundtrack ? Fatbeats got them back in, think there was only 1300 made. I snagged one the other day.

Yeah, I have the camo version. I was after the "infrared" one which apparently sold out pretty quick.

BigDaddyJohn

One thing i noticed when Dutch falls in the water... Why is there so much smoke coming out of his chest ?

GreybackElder

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 24, 2017, 03:23:02 PM
One thing i noticed when Dutch falls in the water... Why is there so much smoke coming out of his chest ?
I always believed that was suppose to be his arm smoking from the shoulder cannon blast.

Highland

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 24, 2017, 03:23:02 PM

I thought that was water coming out his mouth. Always thought it was something to do with jumping into water from a large height, like emptying your lungs ( as in something the stunt team do). I could have totally made that up though.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 23, 2017, 03:39:05 PM
Ridgetop do you have the ltd edition Camo version of the  LP soundtrack ? Fatbeats got them back in, think there was only 1300 made. I snagged one the other day.

Yeah, I have the camo version. I was after the "infrared" one which apparently sold out pretty quick.

Yeah that one was gone. I was lucky to even get the camo. Got Alien on pre-order aswell, I like the artwork on those.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed