Alien vs. Predator films released in 4K?

Started by Alionic, Aug 25, 2017, 10:47:48 PM

Author
Alien vs. Predator films released in 4K? (Read 12,578 times)

Alionic

Do any of you with contacts at Fox know if they're planning to release the AVP films in 4K? I'm curious as to how the darks in the Pyramid would look in High Dynamic Range (HDR). AVP:R would probably look much better with HDR as well. In fact, it would probably fix that film.

I found this clip on youtube of the first AVP fight in Paul W.S. Anderson's film in 1080p:

I thought this looked really crisp and good, and it made me wonder how great it would look in 4K HDR. The scenes in the snow would probably look much better as well.

Any word?

P-Rock

Maybe if AVP-R is released in 4K we can actually see what's going on.

Not that I ever want to see that movie again...

426Buddy

Nothing can fix AvPR, it's beyond saving.

Darkness

Studios in general still seem to be very very slow at releasing old movies in 4K. Not many people really have 4K TV sets so it's not really worth it for them to spend the time on remastering them. AvPs are pretty much at the bottom of their list when you have Alien and Predator still to arrive.

426Buddy

I honestly don't know if im going to ever make the switch. I just finally started to get a respectable bluray collection going. I still have a bunch of movies on dvd that need to get on bluray. I dont think i have the heart or the disposable income to start again with 4k.

I need a new tv but since HD tvs are getting so cheap im sure im not going to get a 4k. Maybe ill just skip 4k all together and wait for the next format.

Darkness

Hehe, when DVD came out, I was obsessed with them and must have spent a few thousand £££ on my collection. Then bluray came out only what 5/6 years after DVD. I bought a couple of sets but then thought to hell with this. Just wasn't worth it. I think the future is streaming and downloads. But the problem is Netflix doesn't have everything and the quality isn't as good as a disc.

Alionic

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 27, 2017, 03:20:02 PM
Hehe, when DVD came out, I was obsessed with them and must have spent a few thousand £££ on my collection. Then bluray came out only what 5/6 years after DVD. I bought a couple of sets but then thought to hell with this. Just wasn't worth it. I think the future is streaming and downloads. But the problem is Netflix doesn't have everything and the quality isn't as good as a disc.

Yeah. I bought the double feature AVP blu-ray at Walmart (on sale for $6.99  ;D). It had a digital copy of both for VUDU, and man, the quality on them aren't good at all there. Maybe the iTunes version is better? The Covenant iTunes version looks amazing.

I still think the first AVP in 4K would be pretty cool though. It's a well shot film. 

Get with the program, Fox!

SM

SM

I downloaded the official digital version of Fury Road when the Blu-ray wouldn't work on my computer, and the quality was very average.

Darkness

If you're watching it on your computer monitor with your nose pressed up against the screen, I'm not surprised it doesn't look great. Web DLs etc do have a lower bitrate than a bluray obviously but when you're watching on a TV from your couch, I doubt most people would notice a difference. It's all subjective, I guess.

Cellien

I know I'm in the minority, but as an owner of both a large 4k TV and a 3D projector, I'd rather them do the 3D conversion treatment like they did with Predator.  It makes older (especially not-so-great) movies like these more of a spectacle and fun to watch. 

SM

I thought the 3D version of Predator turned out a bit shit?

Corporal Hicks

Seems to have garnered a very middling reception from a quick look at the reviews.

SM

I thought I read everyone looked a bit plastic? Or was that another blu ray release?

SiL

That was the Ultimate Hunter Edition which went overboard on the digital noise reduction.

SM

Ah, right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed