Adam Savage Meets Alien: Covenant's Xenomorph Animatronic

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2017, 02:31:14 PM

Author
Adam Savage Meets Alien: Covenant's Xenomorph Animatronic (Read 9,166 times)

Elmazalman

The shot of the Alien (closing it's jaws) after killing the guy in the shower and it entering the terraforming bay are exceptional. They're the only shots of the creature which I think are as good as anything seen in the original film.

Zaxxon64

A totally disappointing movie to be sure. >:(

Deaconschristpose

There's an artificial gloss on CGI that takes you out of the scene immediately.  The fast shots, you need it, but the close-ups? Inexcuasble. It's something Prometheus got right that Covenant got wrong. That being said, the movie is still great imo.

Hyperdyne120-a2

What the hell!!! There are so many iconic shots of the alien here that weren't included in the film!! Why didn't Ridley utilize this more??

Elmazalman

Quote from: Hyperdyne120-a2 on Aug 19, 2017, 08:12:45 PM
What the hell!!! There are so many iconic shots of the alien here that weren't included in the film!! Why didn't Ridley utilize this more??
He cut a lot of adult Alien footage from the original too. Some nice shots of the adult can be seen in the outtakes. Very frustrating, such a wonderful monster, you just want to see more of it but you also want to leave it to the imagination.

Highland

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 17, 2017, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 17, 2017, 02:08:28 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 17, 2017, 11:58:05 AM
You can't achieve the same kind of shots with practical, as you have to hide the fact it's just a man in a suit.  May have worked back in the 80s but in 2017 it's cheesy.  Particularly for a big budget movie.  Like the shot with the Neomorph slowly approaching David - would not have worked with just a guy in a suit.  Besides, if you listen to the commentary, Ridley Scott says they kept the practical shots that worked better than the CG shots.

I agree with your point about it not working with the same kind of shots, but I disagree with the point that it would be cheesy. Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 have shots that are more powerful than the current CGI beastie. Shots that not only look better , but are still scary to this day.

I dunno, that one shot of the Alien entering the loading bay was up with best I reckon.

It was a good shot because it was dark,  far away and naturally moving ( not doing gymnastics). It was also creepy.

The problem with CGI these days I feel is that a lot of the time it's used to show off - " wow look at this". It's lit wrong, there's no darkness, it's blurry or quick, the shadows are all off or it feels like it's not heavy or got any weight. They want you to see it in all it's glory.

The CGI shots don't bother me in Covenant, but I like puppets better if I had to choose for close ups.

Alionic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 17, 2017, 08:25:00 PM
The shot of the Alien (closing it's jaws) after killing the guy in the shower and it entering the terraforming bay are exceptional. They're the only shots of the creature which I think are as good as anything seen in the original film.

The shot of the Alien killing that guy in David's lab looked great, too.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 20, 2017, 12:56:49 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 17, 2017, 08:25:00 PM

The shot of the Alien killing that guy in David's lab looked great, too.
The shot where it drops down onto Cole?

426Buddy

Yesh i really like that shot when it drops down on cole as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed