AvPGalaxy Exclusive - Early John Logan Alien: Covenant Script!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive - Early John Logan Alien: Covenant Script! (Read 67,036 times)

0321recon

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Mar 07, 2018, 03:06:45 AM
I'm still not sure what kind of fate I actually wanted for Shaw.
Personally, I think it would've been nice to see David and her explore the planet for a while.
David could've bombed the place, woke her up after a few days and said it was like that when they arrived.
And Shaw and David's conversations could be used to deliver us some Engineer info.
After that she ends up in her lab or something. Or becomes a prisoner?

Maybe she was held prisoner by David, gets saved by Walter, they bound, Daniels dies, Shaw ends in cryo thinking she finally escaped her captor then David reveals himself..

After Prometheus was initially released, I had imagined them reaching Paradise and finding it already bombarded. They explore the planet and find the answers that Shaw wanted though in that process come across proto-xenos and both of them needing to escape the planet. Though, they went somewhere else with the story. 

Like I've mentioned before, I hope we get to see this sequence on a double dip blu-ray release someday.

Evanus

Yeah, exactly what I imagined too. And I also agree with what you said about the prologue.

I hope they release more deleted scenes at some point, and maybe even an extended cut. It's so odd they only released one Blu-ray/DVD version, there isn't even a proper special edition or something.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Evanus on Mar 07, 2018, 03:53:42 AM
I hope they release more deleted scenes at some point, and maybe even an extended cut. It's so odd they only released one Blu-ray/DVD version, there isn't even a proper special edition or something.

It's surprising how haphazard the blu-ray release was against what the other films in the franchise received. Shove a commentary,  a half-assed behind the scenes, and deleted scenes that didn't augment the story keeping the nuggets such as the alternate beginning out of it.

I know the film under-performed, though they should had pulled all the stops with a special edition to recoup their theatrical loses. Look at Kingdom of Heaven, it was a box office failure, though it received DVD and Blu ray extended cut and look at it now, its still praised as one of the best home video releases due to the behind the scenes and its three cuts.

It's wishful thinking and I know Covenant had its issues though, they should had at least milked the home release with three cuts. - Theatrical, one with the Alternate beginning by itself, and the other, have both openings cut together into the film. Let's see what happens.

wellTHATescalatedQuickly

wellTHATescalatedQuickly

Despite this movies disappointments, for me at least as a fan if they had started the movie with David and Shaw and this beautiful moment then that shocking twist plus all those cool moments with David on the planet experimenting on the Space Jockeys from those production stills, this movie would of been awesome!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Mar 06, 2018, 10:42:09 PM
Do you know anything about an October 2014 Prometheus: Pandemonium draft?
It's mentioned in the comments here http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/47150

I'm afraid I don't.

Quote from: 0321recon on Mar 06, 2018, 11:06:21 PM
Haven't read the script itself, though read through the entire Prologue script, I was more than surprised that some of the dialogue that we heard in the YouTube video came from this. Knowing what Pietro talked about of that twelve minute bridge being cut out I have feeling they actually shot this prologue script or a version of it, though cut everything out to that 2 minute blurb.

I feel horrible for Dr. Shaw, though at least this somewhat closes her character than just showing her dissected.

After reading this, I want to see the Prologue assembled back into the film a'la alternate beginning for Alien3 or being put after David and Weyland's prologue sequence. If that footage doesn't get to see the light of day, at least we know what was shot.

My understanding is that they definitely shot the David's head floating outside the ship. How much more of it they shot, I don't know.

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2018, 11:08:50 PM
The thread that will launch a thousand clickbait Youtube videos about the REAL ANSWERS TO ALIEN COVENANT!!

I'm just waiting for them!  :P

SM

I haven't read it yet, but David's head outside conjures up images of Kevin Kline dangling John Cleese out a window.

Kane's other son

Damn... The prologue is great. It should have stayed in the movie.

Whiskeybrewer

Great to see more of what could have been?

Jonesy1974

I'm not keen on Shaw's demise in the prologue, its a bit sudden. I prefer that in the film its speculative as to what/why and how she died.

0321recon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2018, 09:25:19 AM
Quote from: 0321recon on Mar 06, 2018, 11:06:21 PM
Haven't read the script itself, though read through the entire Prologue script, I was more than surprised that some of the dialogue that we heard in the YouTube video came from this. Knowing what Pietro talked about of that twelve minute bridge being cut out I have feeling they actually shot this prologue script or a version of it, though cut everything out to that 2 minute blurb.

I feel horrible for Dr. Shaw, though at least this somewhat closes her character than just showing her dissected.

After reading this, I want to see the Prologue assembled back into the film a'la alternate beginning for Alien3 or being put after David and Weyland's prologue sequence. If that footage doesn't get to see the light of day, at least we know what was shot.

My understanding is that they definitely shot the David's head floating outside the ship. How much more of it they shot, I don't know.

Thanks for the info Corporal.

Read through the entire script. Liked Walter being more cheeky with mother. Though, David just rubbed me off the wrong way. Glad, they went with what we saw in the film. Though, it would had been nice to see Shaw's transmission instead of the country roads song.

Kane's other son

So, it seems that Harper and Green wrote the Covenant story line and Logan polished it. Paglen appears to have been responsible for a draft that was more of a direct sequel to Prometheus. I hope we get to read it someday.

Shane

The AVP series needs to fix the issue of the alien.  Meaning. In covenant we learn the modern alien is designed by the Android. Ok. So how did the full designed alien exist in ancient times via the first AVP storyline backstory. It's a major flaw in the tie ins..

Denton Smalls

Thank you, Hicks!!! These scripts couldn't have come at a better time since A:C was getting kind of stale.

Does anybody have any new thoughts on or theories about the pathogen now? I love that it's referred to as the "Xenovirus" btw.

sleepyone

As flawed as it is, I feel the film version is the best version after having read these two early scripts.
Thanks for sharing these Hicks, really interesting read

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

This script, honestly I'm glad we got what we got, it is certainly an improvement actually. But some things strike out at me reading so far.

1) Engineer adults, children, etc. They play some kind of old ancient human sport. That's interesting. The setting is a bit too lush, I think scoping it back was a good idea, you don't want to go too far in that natural physical direction without CGI.

2) Planet 4 is not anywhere near the Core Systems, the Outer Rim, or even the Outer Veil of human colonized space. They weren't joking when they said this was the farthest out humanity has ever ventured, Shaw in the beginning says they're about 200 light years from Earth. And they didn't even make it then. They were close, but they she still slept, and and ate, washed. Could be anywhere within the 200 light year range. Which proves my suspicions that wherever this world was, it had to have been pretty far from human space not to be noticed. Making 7 years for Origae-6, from some region 200 light years away from human colonized space. Weyland Yutani clearly wanted to accelerate their colonial spread, this being one of many planned missions but....obviously they never came back so the idea was probably scrapped. It could be a typo, but it's nothing like the "inter-galactic" shit they were saying in the marketing of Prometheus. 200 light years sounds extremely far, but not unfeasibly far. Origae-6 must be one hell of an Earth parallel for them to invest that much to terraform it. It now makes sense why they would want to do Planet 4 instead, this was probably needed in dialogue. It's closer, beyond their most optimistic dreams. And Origae-6 is 7 years past the cruising speed of the Covenant which hit Planet-4 200 light years from Earth, with 6 recharges to go. It's a risky investment, and they should have added more dialogue on the weight of just how far Origae-6 was from Earth, nailing that this was probably a better choice. Just like Prometheus, ideas discussed around the table in concept that should have made it to dialogue.

3) They actually scan the planet and find out its exactly like Earth, Earth life. Earth bacteria. Earth everything. There isn't anything on the planet, minus some extinct life we see in David's art like actual trilobites (not the Prometheus kind, the actual Paleozoic kind), that make it really sort of a Lost World. They needed to establish this in dialogue in the movie.

4) The scene where they're searching around the Derelict and they find just a mass of dead Engineers in their suits. It seems that it wasn't so sudden in this draft where everyone died at once. They had the time to get into suits, but by the time they did it was too late. Someone nearly falls off a cliff in fright after seeing an Engineer suit with its helmet-shell cracked open and rotting flesh inside. Then he regains composure and another guy goes to help, before seeing that the entire hillside is just covered in the corpses of Engineers in suits. My guess? They planned on immediately investigating what the f**k happened and why this craft deployed it's payload, but it was too late anyways. It describes Engineer Suits ripped open, decomposing, ribs jutting out, not from the armor, from the inside. Half decayed suits, half decayed Engineers, lot's of gore. And a hillside covered in them trying to make their way to the crashed Juggernaut before dying.

That's an image they should have kept. There's a lack of surprise that broke my suspension of disbelief in the movie that they weren't scared shitless a bio mechanical space ship was just there. It still somewhat remains in the ship, but the shock of seeing such a macabre tapestry of bodies trying to get to the Engineer ship before all of them met their gruesome off screen fate we can only speculate on.

That needed to remain. Why the hell did they omit that from the shooting script? It's a hell of an image that gives depth to the impact of what happened that the audience is there with the characters. Freaked the f**k out about a giant alien ship with one end of the hill surrounded by almost a battlefield of hundreds of dead engineers in various states of decomposition or worse. Also black urns surrounding them. It's a really sudden shocking shot that would have been appropriate instead of "huh, guess there's an alien space ship. ain't that something."

This is more Alien in its ominousness and implication that isn't in David's Art like in the final.

There's bad ideas in this script, and also, really rich imagery that implies the depth of what the f**k they got themselves into that's appropriately met with fright and unnerve.

In fact there are "Hundreds and Thousands" of these corpses in Engineer suits. Various states of decay. Surrounding the backside and hills around the ship. Apparently not to pleased this Juggernaut deployed its payload. Why they omitted that, I have no idea. It certainly gives scale to the atrocity.

The entire Expedition Team is gathered. All are shocked.

SERGEANT LOPE
Looks like they had a war of some kind.

WALTER
It seems they lost that war.

WALTER crouches near one body, seeing the BONES are damaged
in OTHER WAYS. PITTED, IRREGULAR HOLES. EATEN AWAY in places. Broken in others. Ripped apart.

And the many SHATTERED BLACK URNS spilled out in the scree below.

It's a graveyard.

GRIFFIN
(to Oram)
Sir, your Chief Terraformist
officially recommends we evacuate this planet immediately.

Griffin is Daniels in this script. I cannot believe they cut this out.

The final is superior, no doubt. But they needed to keep this scene early on to establish they had seriously f**ked up beyond their worst nightmares coming here.

The film needed this image badly, instead of just casually reacting to a f**king alien spaceship. They should be freaked, if not by the ship, but the ocean of bodies. I mean I just can't believe they omitted that. The film needed that so badly at that point. A sudden realization "Well, we f**ked up." beyond the blood bursters. Those just being the icing on the cake of a gigantic "Oops"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed