MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

Started by Gates, Sep 21, 2007, 10:45:49 AM

Author
MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) (Read 101,900 times)

Gates

Gates

Okay so, Saturday is UFC 77...these are the fights on the card that are scheduled to air:

Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva - Middleweight Title Bout

Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Vera

Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar

Alan Belcher vs. Kalib Starnes

Who are your picks? I have my money on Franklin, Vera, Bonnar, and Belcher (only 'cause I hate Kalib)...Ace will get his belt back mark my words... ;)

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.fightCard&eid=871

Above is the link to fighter stats and the rest of the fight card...

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

yeah, sorry if someone had posted this earlier but

i just heard last night on the news wire RANDY COUTURE has just retired and given up his UFC HW title - i'm not joking folks! RANDY had 2 fights left on his contract in the UFC,

Quote from: Gates on Oct 18, 2007, 10:34:36 AM
http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=50066FE1-1422-0E8C-34332F6D140A1650.jpg&rs=100&q=75&x=12&y=0&w=90&h=120&ro=0 http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=D9F84E68-1422-0E8C-9A88500B40B54577.jpg&rs=60&q=75&x=22&y=1&w=90&h=120&ro=0

- so the up coming TIM SYLVIA vs. BRANDON VERA HW bout fight is huge - rumor has it that the winner of this fight will fight another HW contender(not sure who?) for the UFC HW title vacancy in the near furture

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Gates on Oct 18, 2007, 10:34:36 AM
Who are your picks? I have my money on Franklin, Vera, Bonnar, and Belcher (only 'cause I hate Kalib)...Ace will get his belt back mark my words... ;)
Above is the link to fighter stats and the rest of the fight card...

I don't know man; Silva has been mowin' down all of his opponents.  He's bad ass!  I'm going for Franklin, but I can only picture their last fight and what an ass whoopin' Rich received.  For the rest, Vera should be able to knock out Sylvia.  If not, I'm thinking he can submit him.  Bonnar, I'll always go for him.  Great attitude that guy has.  The rest, I just hope to see some good ol' fashion ass kickery.  (Was I talking like Yoda?)

Darth_Spud

Darth_Spud

Franklin will be fighting with a lot of heart since his ass whoopin! From his last fight so Franklin FTW!

Sylvia always looks sluggish when he fights but he's a tough son of a bitch - Vera is a fast little shit and good on the ground but I think Sylvia FTW!

as for Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar I think Eric Schafer FTW because even with a name like The American Psycho  ::), Bonner just doesn't cut it for me - he's not that grate a fighter so Schafer FTW!

The rest I don't give a f**k about as long as its war!

Oh BTW thanks to GATES for posting the line up  ;)

Gates

Gates

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 18, 2007, 01:02:17 PM

i just heard last night on the news wire RANDY COUTURE has just retired and given up his UFC HW title - i'm not joking folks! RANDY had 2 fights left on his contract in the UFC,

Nope you're good, no one mentioned it...his leaving is a combination of three main factors; A. Couture only feels that Fedor is a worthy opponent and won't fight anyone else; B. Fedor's management is stubborn as fu<k and asked for too much money from the UFC to sign a contract; and C. Dana White is a consummate a$$hole and treats fighters like sh!t and thus was not willing to pay Fedor the amount of money he wanted to fight in the UFC...so Fedor signed with a Russian MMA league and Couture retired the next day to pursue an acting career...lame...

All three parties involved are at fault...who the fu<k does Randy think he is? Any fighter is worthy of your time. Who the fu<k does Fedor think he is? Word is he was asking for more than $2 Mil a fight. And Dana White is just an a$$hole and needs to be bought out...the whole situation is a sh!t storm and makes you wonder who the respective parties are paying to conduct negotiations for them... :-X

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 18, 2007, 02:13:57 PM
I don't know man; Silva has been mowin' down all of his opponents.  He's bad ass!  I'm going for Franklin, but I can only picture their last fight and what an ass whoopin' Rich received.  For the rest, Vera should be able to knock out Sylvia.  If not, I'm thinking he can submit him.  Bonnar, I'll always go for him. [...]

I know right? Silva is a Brazilian animal...the guy is just vicious, he mauled my boy Ace...but like you I can't help it...I put $200 on Franklin so he better pull through...I can't stand the way Sylvia fights, so I'm going for Vera...but have you seen a recent picture of Sylvia? He's looking big and in shape which could mean problems for Vera, we all know how much Sylvia loves that belt...

Quote from: Darth_Spud on Oct 18, 2007, 06:52:18 PM
as for Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar I think Eric Schafer FTW because even with a name like The American Psycho  ::), Bonner just doesn't cut it for me - he's not that grate a fighter so Schafer FTW!

Yeah I will always like Bonnar but every since the steroid thing I lost alot of respect for him...here's hoping he shapes up and does the right thing from now on...and who the fu<k is Schafer anyway? Fu<k him!  ;D

Quote from: Darth_Spud on Oct 18, 2007, 06:52:18 PM
Oh BTW thanks to GATES for posting the line up  ;)

Anytime man! I love the sport and I love talking about the sport...hopefully we can convert a few more non-believers here so we can get this thread pumping... ;D

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

Quote from: Gates on Oct 18, 2007, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 18, 2007, 01:02:17 PM

Nope you're good, no one mentioned it...his leaving is a combination of three main factors; A. Couture only feels that Fedor is a worthy opponent and won't fight anyone else; B. Fedor's management is stubborn as fu<k and asked for too much money from the UFC to sign a contract; and C. Dana White is a consummate a$$hole and treats fighters like sh!t and thus was not willing to pay Fedor the amount of money he wanted to fight in the UFC...so Fedor signed with a Russian MMA league and Couture retired the next day to pursue an acting career...lame...

All three parties involved are at fault...who the fu<k does Randy think he is? Any fighter is worthy of your time. Who the fu<k does Fedor think he is? Word is he was asking for more than $2 Mil a fight. And Dana White is just an a$$hole and needs to be bought out...the whole situation is a sh!t storm and makes you wonder who the respective parties are paying to conduct negotiations for them... :-X
it's just a damn shame things had to go down this way and at the expense of the fans who have been waiting to see this fight for years. after all dust settles and the smoke clears from the court and legal battles,  RANDY will just be too old to fight FEDOR - i mean i just do not see WHITE given in and letting RANDY walk so easily, this could get really ugly. i just cann't believe it ??? guess TITO was right all along about WHITE all this time after all

Gates

Gates

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 19, 2007, 01:21:01 AM
[...] i mean i just do not see WHITE given in and letting RANDY walk so easily, this could get really ugly. i just cann't believe it ??? guess TITO was right all along about WHITE all this time after all

Well that all depends on whether or not Zuffa is going to go after him for this in court...it seems that there are all sorts of possible inconsistencies in Couture's contract or rather, in the wording of the contract...Zuffa and White may try to use the retirement clause in Couture's contract to compel him to fulfill it according to terms laid out in the deal...the problem with the clause is that it appears to be an attempt to contract for a remedy, which is the proper role of the court...this also explains why Couture uses the word resignation and White is using the word retirement in all their press releases...the damn clause might be construed as an attempt by the company to compel specific performance through a contract in equity and the general rule is that courts will not compel specific performance of a personal services contract...however, according to Corpus Juris Secundum, Couture is a unique property and is not easily replaced and therefore may be issued an injunction to prevent him from furnishing his services to another employer for the duration of the contract...which will fu<k him totally...

That being said, it's hard to imagine that Zuffa is anxious to test the enforceability of it's contracts in court due to the sh!t storm that could accompany an adverse ruling...the company could face a legitimate fu<king labor crisis, were if key provisions of Couture's contract are to be found invalid, other fighters can then follow suit in leaving the company or demanding new contracts...which will completely destroy the UFC as we know it...

We can only wait and see what happens...my guess is they will settle out of court to prevent future problems...but I have been wrong before... :-\

Darth_Spud

Darth_Spud

Quote from: Gates on Oct 19, 2007, 10:39:47 AM
That being said, it's hard to imagine that Zuffa is anxious to test the enforceability of it's contracts in court due to the sh!t storm that could accompany an adverse ruling...the company could face a legitimate fu<king labor crisis, were if key provisions of Couture's contract are to be found invalid, other fighters can then follow suit in leaving the company or demanding new contracts...which will completely destroy the UFC as we know it...

So a potentially bad situation for both parties, I hope Randy gets a fair settlement to this situation but at the same time I would not like to see the UFC in a shit storm. Seems the UFC is at its height atm so any major changes could f**k all this up - bad for the fans and ultimately bad for the fighters if the UFC gets into any financial difficulty through major law suits.

PS - Predalien now! woot woot! ;D

Gates

Gates

Well needless to say I am fu<king disappointed...lost too much money tonight but whatever...here is a play-by-play of the three main fights of the night courtesy of Sherdog.com...

****************~~~~~~~~~SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~****************

Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar
Round 1
Schafer looked for a takedown early, but Bonnar had none of it. Schafer then pulled guard, where Bonnar landed a few punches from the top before Schafer got back to his feet. Bonnar was warned for gripping the fence, but Schafer still lifted him into the air and down to the canvas. Schafer then went to Bonnar's back, where he looked for a rear-naked choke. Bonnar fought the hold and cleared one of Schafer's hooks, which enabled him to turn over and out of danger. 10-9 for Schafer.

Round 2
Schafer again pulled guard to start the second. Bonnar fared much better with the position this time around, delivering punches to Schafer's head. Bonnar moved to side-control with Schafer pinned against the cage, where he landed with right hands until his opponent turned his back to avoid punishment. Referee John McCarthy stepped in to save Schafer at the 2:47 mark.

Official Decision - Winner: Stephan Bonnar by TKO (Strikes)

Brandon Vera vs. Tim Sylvia
Round 1
Sylvia, defending the clinch, squashed Vera against the fencing in the opening minute, which opened up the floodgates for boos. Vera slipped his way off the cage but went right back to the clinch. Vera cracks Sylvia with a left hand and kicks at the legs. Sylvia lands two knees to the midsection from the Thai clinch. 10-9 for Vera on the strength of the left hand.

Round 2
Vera landed a right hand to start the second round. Referee Yves Lavigne breaks up another clinch to restart the action. Sylia then rushed right in to clinch with Vera against the cage. The crowd showered the Octagon with boos. After getting Sylvia off-balance, Vera was able to trip him to the canvas and directly into side-control. Knees to the body landed for Vera, but little else. Vera then hit Sylvia with a knee to the head as he was attempting to stand, which prompts the referee to warn Vera for the illegal shot to a downed fighter. Sylvia throws a body kick and is hit with a right hand as time expires. 10-9 for Vera.

Round 3
A tired Sylvia showed urgency to kickoff the final frame. He landed a right hand before going back to the clinch against the cage. Sylvia opened up and lands a few punches. Vera told him to bring it on but he didn't mount any offense. Sylvia continued to throw punches while Vera, now bleeding from the top of his head, settled for two leg kicks. Sylvia dominated the final minute with his boxing to take the third round, 10-9. The judges score the bout 29-27, 29-28 and 29-28, all for Tim Sylvia.

Official Decision - Winner: Tim Sylvia by Unanimous Decision

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin
Round 1
Franklin landed a left hand to start the main event. Silva clinched with Franklin and kneed the body and left leg. Franklin defended the clinch well and tripped Silva to the canvas, but the champion worked to his feet without any damage. A crushing spinning back kick landed for Silva. With his back to the fence, Franklin ate several hard punches. Rich recovered and landed a punch but Anderson answers with a right hand that drops Fraklin to the mat. 10-9 for Silva.

Round 2

Silva attacks and backs Franklin up against the cage, where he lands a few punches and several hard knees, the last of which send Franklin down and out. Referee John McCarthy steps in at the 1:07 mark. Impressive performance by Anderson Silva.

Official Decision - Winner: Anderson Silva by TKO (Strikes)

Here is the link to the play-by-plays of all the fights of the night...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9582

I'm aggravated...Franklin was one of my favorite fighters...but he's finished...Silva mauled him again with ease, it was impressive and demoralizing all at the same time...it's a damn shame... :-\

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

^
great post analyst

was happy to see BONNAR get another straight win, he seem mentally focus and back on track now following his suspension and his two sub-par peformances last time out in the OCTAGON

i was surprised to see that the SYLVIA vs VERA fight went the distant - this fight built up to be a #1 top contender type matchup but its still unclear who will fight for the title vacancy in the HW division. there's no guarantee that SYLIVA is next in line, you still have the rising KONGO and few others in the division. i hear that the UFC has just signed LESNAR - so things could get interesting

as for THE SPIDER vs ACE fight - i was torn between the two. i was pulling for SILVA but i have all the respect in the world for FRANKLIN and his ability, he's a great athlete - if not the best one of the best out there

but i just love the way SILVIA fights - his striking is sick and MUAY THAI is impressive

another interesting bout on the fight card was the one between OKAMI vs MacDONALD
OKAMI victory puts him back in the hunt and the mix so to speak - before his eventual lost to FRANKLIN for the chance to fight SILVIA for the title, SILVIA was asked who would he want to face most, he said OKAMI because he wanted to revenge a DC lost to OKAMI years back

also thats not forget about PRIDE MW CHAMPION - HENDERSON as a future bout for SILVIA

Master Chief

Master Chief

Gates, all I can say is  :o  I knew it man.  Sorry for the loss of your loot. 

Darth_Spud

Darth_Spud

Here in the UK - SILVA vs FRANKLIN is about to start! ;D

Gates

Gates

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 21, 2007, 08:19:25 PM
i was surprised to see that the SYLVIA vs VERA fight went the distant - this fight built up to be a #1 top contender type matchup but its still unclear who will fight for the title vacancy in the HW division. there's no guarantee that SYLIVA is next in line, you still have the rising KONGO and few others in the division. i hear that the UFC has just signed LESNAR - so things could get interesting

No Couture and no Fedor? I see Nogueira as the next Heavyweight champ...he will murder Sylvia and Kongo and 1-0 herb Lesnar... ;D

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 21, 2007, 08:19:25 PM
also thats not forget about PRIDE MW CHAMPION - HENDERSON as a future bout for SILVIA

I believe so...but lets not forget, he beat Wanderlei, but lost to Rampage, who lost to Wanderlei...so you never know with these guys... :D

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 21, 2007, 08:53:59 PM
Gates, all I can say is  :o  I knew it man.  Sorry for the loss of your loot. 

Baaah...screw the money...deep down I knew though...but I'm an Ace fan...I can't blow the new champ just 'cause he has the belt...I'm still going to be behind my fighter either way... ;)

Quote from: Darth_Spud on Oct 21, 2007, 10:29:11 PM
Here in the UK - SILVA vs FRANKLIN is about to start! ;D

'Way to rub it in SPUD... ::)

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Heard about Lesnar joining up with UFC a couple days ago.

I'm a WWE fanatic, the guy was a disaster in the WWE, he was a botch maniac, but I'm excited to see what he'll do in the octagon.

Master Chief

Master Chief

^Brock Lesnar?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed