I hate Fiefeld SO much.

Started by bobby brown, Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

Author
I hate Fiefeld SO much. (Read 53,763 times)

bobby brown

bobby brown

Nothing particular against either the actor nor the character really (although quite lame).

I just truly hate the concept of a man transforming into our beloved xenomorph. It's just so damn lazy writing.
Like basic sci-fi fantasies from pre-school.

This is actually the rendition I loathe the most.  :-X :-X

So it's actually a SLIGHT relief for me, that they changed it to a far worse executed design instead.

At least now it's just a ridiculous space zombie instead.

Does anyone else share my deep disdain for this particular element?

SM

SM

He wasn't turning into a Xenomorph.  Nor was he a space zombie.

But it's okay - he wasn't there to be your friend.

windebieste

windebieste

I really enjoyed the transformative properties of the accelerant and both variants of the Fifield mutation - but Fifield as a character had nothing going for him.

Here's how I'd rewrite the character:

Milburn: Is anyone sitting here? Milburn, biologist.
Fiffield:  Er, no.  Sit down.  Fifield, cydonian geologist.

They shake hands.

Milburn:  Cydonian geology?
Fifield: Uh, yeah.  I was lead consultant on the martian aquifier survey project.
Milburn:  You're the man that lead the team that discovered water... on Mars? ...and helped to make it habitable for the new colonies?
Fifield: Yeah.  That was us.
Milburn:  (humbled)  wow...

A brief exchange of this nature would be an ideal opportunity to get to know the character, give him purpose and set in our minds that he was a Professional.  His work is important.  Fifield has valuable skills in regards and probably is the best in his field and appropriate for his position aboard the Prometheus and instantly earns the respect of Milburn - and really, it doesn't take many words to achieve all this.  Critical elements a team member aboard the expedition needs. 

Critical elements that the character completely lacks in the movie.

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 11, 2017, 11:27:57 AM
I really enjoyed the transformative properties of the accelerant and both variants of the Fifield mutation - but Fifield as a character had nothing going for him.

Here's how I'd rewrite the character:

Milburn: Is anyone sitting here? Milburn, biologist.
Fiffield:  Er, no.  Sit down.  Fifield, cydonian geologist.

They shake hands.

Milburn:  Cydonian geology?
Fifield: Uh, yeah.  I was lead consultant on the martian aquifier survey project.
Milburn:  You're the man that lead the team that discovered water... on Mars? ...and helped to make it habitable for the new colonies?
Fifield: Yeah.  That was us.
Milburn:  (humbled)  wow...

A brief exchange of this nature would be an ideal opportunity to get to know the character, give him purpose and set in our minds that he was a Professional.  His work is important.  Fifield has valuable skills in regards and probably is the best in his field and appropriate for his position aboard the Prometheus and instantly earns the respect of Milburn - and really, it doesn't take many words to achieve all this.  Critical elements a team member aboard the expedition needs. 

Critical elements that the character completely lacks in the movie.

-Windebieste.

No offence, but you need dramatic tension, and that exchange is flat and boring.  Setting Fifield up as an antagonist of sorts worked for the film.

Sean Harris did a great job with the role.

SiL

SiL

Establishing his credentials in a scene of establishing the mission would've been fine. Instead we got "Fifield; geologist, dick." And that's it.

markweatherill

markweatherill

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2017, 11:20:50 AM

Nor to contribute anything to the GIGANTIC DEAD BODY ARENA. :)

windebieste

windebieste

What's more, it didn't add any tension.  His antagonistic, selfish attitude just made me wonder how is this guy even suitable for the mission?  It didn't make me feel he was someone I wanted to get to know or respect from the outset.  Instead, as SiL states, he's a dick.  On a mission like this, credentials are important, sure; but the ability to function as a team member is just as important.  We don't get any of that.

When Fifield does become exposed to the accelerant, we don't care about him.  Simply because he's a dick.  It would have been much more horrific if he was a character we had some empathy for.  As it is, he's a dick who got what he deserved.  Who gives a shit?

There was an opportunity right at the start of the movie to lay the ground work for a memorable and respectful character for the audience to latch onto and say, "Wow.  I really like this guy" and have the sting of his mutation become a deep emotional experience by losing someone incredibly valuable. 

No.  Instead, he's a dick and "Thank God he's dead" is the best we got out of it.

-Windebieste.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 11, 2017, 12:07:07 PM
What's more, it didn't add any tension.  His antagonistic, selfish attitude just made me wonder how is this guy even suitable for the mission?  It didn't make me feel he was someone I wanted to get to know or respect from the outset.  Instead, as SiL states, he's a dick.  On a mission like this, credentials are important, sure; but the ability to function as a team member is just as important.  We don't get any of that.

When Fifield does become exposed to the accelerant, we don't care about him.  Simply because he's a dick.  It would have been much more horrific if he was a character we had some empathy for.  As it is, he's a dick who got what he deserved.  Who gives a shit?

There was an opportunity right at the start of the movie to lay the ground work for a memorable and respectful character for the audience to latch onto and say, "Wow.  I really like this guy" and have the sting of his mutation become a deep emotional experience by losing someone incredibly valuable.

No.  Instead, he's a dick and "Thank God he's dead" is the best we got out of it.

-Windebieste.

I agree, Although in some deleted segments, especially the Finding of the worm he seem's more like a buddy to Millburn from that point on. So I always figured he could be a grouchy type after waking up and from traveling for so long. Probably just needed to toke a fattie. ;D

In the deleted scene, I love when after Millburn finds the worm. Fiefeld comes up and is like "GREAT find Millburn from B I O L O G Y" or something and say's it kind of goofy, playfully. ALL the characters are happy, and smiling. I just love those little character moments because it really does make me feel more sympathetic for them, and at this point Fiefeld is friendly and is basically now, well Millburns Buddy.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: bobby brown on Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM
Nothing particular against either the actor nor the character really (although quite lame).

I just truly hate the concept of a man transforming into our beloved xenomorph. It's just so damn lazy writing.
Like basic sci-fi fantasies from pre-school.

This is actually the rendition I loathe the most.  :-X :-X

So it's actually a SLIGHT relief for me, that they changed it to a far worse executed design instead.

At least now it's just a ridiculous space zombie instead.

Does anyone else share my deep disdain for this particular element?
I prefer the top version ... no more silly mohawk.

SM

SM

Quote from: markweatherill on Aug 11, 2017, 12:03:19 PM
Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2017, 11:20:50 AM

Nor to contribute anything to the GIGANTIC DEAD BODY ARENA. :)

:laugh:

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

The existing 'Fifield' zombie-fied makeup is just one of the many reasons I'll never watch Ridley's 'Theatrical' release of PROMETHEUS ever again.

But thankfully, the likes of the excellent 'Workprint Edition' fan edit incorporates the superior CGI'd version instead, along with many other deleted moments that shouldn't have been removed in the first place - which I will happily re-watch anytime.  :D

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Aug 12, 2017, 02:09:32 AM
The existing 'Fifield' zombie-fied makeup is just one of the many reasons I'll never watch Ridley's 'Theatrical' release of PROMETHEUS ever again.

But thankfully, the likes of the excellent 'Workprint Edition' fan edit incorporates the superior CGI'd version instead, along with many other deleted moments that shouldn't have been removed in the first place - which I will happily re-watch anytime.  :D
Same here. The fan edit is the only version worth watching, imo.

SM

SM

Can't imagine any fan edit that's going to improve it.

Mind you can't imagine ever watching a fan edit of anything...

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2017, 05:05:41 AM
Can't imagine any fan edit that's going to improve it.

Mind you can't imagine ever watching a fan edit of anything...
Why not?

SM

SM

Cause I wouldn't trust most fans to recut a movie.  And I find it a bit disrespectful.  And every trailer I've watched for a fan edit has left me scratching my head (to be generous) instead of really wanting to watch it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed