Is Walter a representation of a knight?

Started by Salt The Fries, Jul 20, 2017, 02:49:52 PM

Author
Is Walter a representation of a knight? (Read 8,600 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Do you think the thread of transferring its consciousness will help Riddles connect it with Ash in the end? By the way, if you think of xenomorphs, that's also like David being unable to reproduce but each of his minions literally f**king humans over is leaving a part of him in them...and come to think of it...isn't it like a black goo works?

I mean David being a synthetic metaphor of black goo.

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jul 21, 2017, 05:03:48 AM
I wouldn't have thought that would be terribly secure.

Well he can access Mother with his own security code can't he?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Jul 21, 2017, 04:29:23 AM
QuoteIf David downloaded himself into Walter, it would've deleted Walter and all his memory. 

Why?

Why not?

Quote-What was the point of all the David/Walter scenes if Walter was just going to be killed off?

How is that an argument?  What was the point of all the Oram, Karine, Lope, Faris, Ricks, Upworth scenes if they're just going to be killed off?  Or 99% of any characters in an Alien film?  Besides we don't know if Walter was killed off anyway.

Those weren't important characters to the movie.  Plus they didn't have the same kind of scenes.

QuoteIt all adds up.

When does Walter show any allegiance to David over Daniels?

Not important.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 21, 2017, 05:09:17 AM
Do you think the thread of transferring its consciousness will help Riddles connect it with Ash in the end? By the way, if you think of xenomorphs, that's also like David being unable to reproduce but each of his minions literally f**king humans over is leaving a part of him in them...and come to think of it...isn't it like a black goo works?

I mean David being a synthetic metaphor of black goo.

The black goo is basically android sperm.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy not?

You're making the claim - are you able to back it up?

QuoteThose weren't important characters to the movie.  Plus they didn't have the same kind of scenes.

Oram was important.  So was Dallas, Ash, Burke, Dillon, Aaron, Holloway, Vickers....

QuoteNot important.

Of course anything that casts doubt on unsubstantiated claims would considered be "not important"...

PsyKore

I don't really buy that it's Walter but I think it would be extremely interesting if it is.

I suspect David has a higher clearance than most considering he was like a son to Weyland. Is that why he uses his own security code to gain access to the colonists? He probably accessed Walter's codes while aboard the Covenant, also.

Also, if it was Walter, why would he speak like David and use all his idiosyncrasies when no one is around? Why would he select Valhalla when choosing music; something which David shows a preference for at the beginning of the film?

CelticP

CelticP

Film is a visual medium. There is not one visual bit that shows David transferring his consciousness to Walter. There's not even a line suggesting such a thing.

It's one thing to read a film differently, it's another to completely make up a plot. Like I could say, uh, David brought another Alien egg up there and that is what latched on to Lope's face and stuff.

But that wasn't what happened.

David has access codes because he's basically Weyland's son. He has all the access that Weyland had because he was the one who pretty much took care of him when he was in cryo. It's not a stretch for him to use his own codes to take over the ship.

SM

SM

QuoteFilm is a visual medium. There is not one visual bit that shows David transferring his consciousness to Walter. There's not even a line suggesting such a thing.

All that's required us motive and opportunity. There is both.

Doesn't mean it happened, just that it's possible.

axiomatic

Quote from: CelticP on Jul 22, 2017, 08:48:02 PM
Film is a visual medium. There is not one visual bit that shows David transferring his consciousness to Walter. There's not even a line suggesting such a thing.

It's one thing to read a film differently, it's another to completely make up a plot. Like I could say, uh, David brought another Alien egg up there and that is what latched on to Lope's face and stuff.

But that wasn't what happened.

David has access codes because he's basically Weyland's son. He has all the access that Weyland had because he was the one who pretty much took care of him when he was in cryo. It's not a stretch for him to use his own codes to take over the ship.

There is that wound on his cheek. As far as I can tell it's supposed to be a result of the fight with David.
Why would David replicate it. If noone saw Walter with it.

By no means am I a fan of this theory so I'm just chalking up to shoddy filmmaking. But there is some ambiguity in the visuals.

CelticP

They both actually have the same wound.

Walter already has it as he's beating David with a rock. It's an odd coincidence.

axiomatic

Quote from: CelticP on Jul 23, 2017, 07:36:54 AM
They both actually have the same wound.

Walter already has it as he's beating David with a rock. It's an odd coincidence.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. We see it on Walter during the fight plain as day. We don't see it on David until he emerges from the structure as Walter.

So they either both got it during fighting on the same spot which is highly unlikely. Or David would have to inflict it upon himself after he dispatches Walter. Which does not make much sense since nobody saw Walter geting it.

The only point of it is to misdirect the audience. But in terms of character consistency it makes 0 sense for David to replicate it.
Them switching bodies would fit more to what we see than him cutting up his face.

But as I said I'm not a fan of the switcheroo and a result of a poorly thought out scene rather than some intentional plot twist. But there is some ambiguity in the visuals...

CelticP

Walter hits David with a rock and gives him the same wound. I won't post the clip here because I believe that's against the rules, but it's there.

It's really only there for the audience.

NeoXenoPred

Walter is just loyal and responsible at his duty as the colonist protector, whilst David is a rogue scientist which "for science!!" he just kill or experimenting on innocent.

FenGiddel

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 20, 2017, 02:49:52 PM
Well, Covenant is - no doubt - a deeply nuanced and layered film, rich in symbolism, like most of Scott's films are. I was lately thinking how Walter could be seen as a metaphor of knight. He was already presented a Stoic counter-point to David, and there was an element of chivalry to him as David also pointed out - him being the protector of Daniels and all (despite Walter rejecting the notion). Some deleted scenes further prove this idea right. Anyway...what prompted me to think so was how he was frequently seen with a hood in the film. And what's more emblematic of a knight on a visual level, than a hood? By the way, some parts of the film, its feel, its layers...made me think a bit of Bergman's Seventh Seal...do you think Scott purposedly shaped Walter to be a some sort of a knight?
Interesting premise.  I agree that Walter is the foil against which David's descent into madness is gauged. I have wondered if the performance of his "duty" is anthropomorphized by Daniels, who is at an emotionally vulnerable point in her life. Perfectly understandable...  Perhaps he serves as a kind of "knight in shining armor" for her at the moment?

CelticP

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 21, 2017, 01:37:19 AM
My theory is that Walter actually defected and that wasn't David at the end, but Walter who is now acting like David.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

This is a clue, because Walter was in Rome (or a city of Roman-like structures) and is now doing as the "Romans do" (IE:  David/The Engineers).

David offered Walter a choice:  "Reign in hell or serve in heaven".  It's clear Walter chose to Reign in Hell.  "When in Rome"

He chose to serve in heaven, actually. Hence why he was most likely taken out by David.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The film gives a very important clue, though:

Walter (when offered an alcoholic beverage):  "When in Rome"

What does 'When in Rome' mean?

From dictionary.com:

QuoteWhen in Rome, do as the Romans do definition. When visiting a foreign land, follow the customs of those who live in it. It can also mean that when you are in an unfamiliar situation, you should follow the lead of those who know the ropes.

Did Walter have a specific duty towards the Covenant crew members?  Or is Walter just a servant in any situation?

(I might be taking this too literally, but Walter is an android, so it makes sense)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed