Interview with Alien: Covenant Illustrators Dane Hallett & Matt Hatton - AvPGalaxy Podcast #52

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2017, 12:33:58 PM

Author
Interview with Alien: Covenant Illustrators Dane Hallett & Matt Hatton - AvPGalaxy Podcast #52 (Read 11,153 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 52nd episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode sees myself joined by the Alien: Covenant illustrators responsible for those badass illustrations by David, the talented Dane Hallett and Matt Hatton!

Among many other things, Dane and Matt talk about how they got involved in the film, Ridley’s feedback to their illustrations, the time constraints and David’s descent into madness.

Matt Hatton (left) and Dane Hallett (right) pose with Sir Ridley Scott on the set of Alien: Covenant, surrounded by their artwork.

At one point I mention the rumor that Daniels was going to be Ripley’s mother. I erroneously say Shaw instead of Daniels. When I talk about Matt’s Alien 3 cover art, I’m referring to this particular image.

You can follow both Matt and Dane on their respective social media outlets. Dane is on both Facebook and Instagram. Matt is on Instagram. Head on over, check out their work and give them a follow!

Keep checking back in for the latest episodes of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast. We have several more Alien: Covenant interviews in the works, including Colin Shulver and Benjamin Rigby. We’ll also be recording a belated 30th anniversary episode about Predator!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. We hope you enjoy!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

lv_226

Thank you for this very insightful interview.

I would really like to see that David book come to light.

It seems that a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor. There are bits, like the extended version of Oram looking into the egg where David demonstrates to the Captain that the eggs do not react to his presence, that would have allayed some of the concerns some have about "stupid character motivations". Also, the bit about the Engineer defense system that protected the environment from airborne pathogens was interesting to hear about. Damn, just like with Prometheus it seems that there are bits of the story that were cut that would have fleshed out the film a bit more.

The David viral scene where he is in his laboratory would be neat to see!

I like Covenant a lot, but hearing this stuff was a bit heartbreaking.

Bluray

Thanks lv_226, I can't listen at the moment. Could you elaborate a bit on the engineer defense system? Was this a deleted scene? Ah, I need a longer cut of this film.

Hyperdyne120-a2

DAVID'S DRAWINGS BOOK!
LET'S HAVE IT!
(Hard cover please...?)

lv_226

Quote from: Bluray on Jul 10, 2017, 07:44:38 PM
Thanks lv_226, I can't listen at the moment. Could you elaborate a bit on the engineer defense system? Was this a deleted scene? Ah, I need a longer cut of this film.

If I remember correctly, this was something that was explained in the script. The gist of it is that the Engineer planet had this emergency fail-safe in place that kept pathogens—presumably like the black goo—from being dispersed into the atmosphere of the planet. The gentlemen in the podcast go on to state that elements of this made it into the final film—specifically, when you see David dropping the accelerant on the Engineer city, the accelerant disperses up until a certain point where it appears to stop in mid-air  (this was the barrier mentioned in more detail in the script).

Bluray

Thanks for the explanation. The more I hear about deleted scenes and what did or didn't make it to the final film, the more it restores my faith in Sir Ridley. Now I definitely enjoyed Covenant, but left the theater with some mixed feelings. Sometimes I just couldn't understand how Ridley could let certain plot points slip, especially after having come from a film like The Martian that was filled with such concise logic. It sounds like the main issues that people generally had with the plot were indeed covered and Ridley was probably very aggressive with trimming down the runtime. I'm definitely holding out hope for a longer cut as I believe Covenant definitely benefits from scenes that flesh things out more. To all the naysayers of Sir Ridley, let's not forget kingdom of heaven. There is the theatrical version and then there's the actual version. 2 different films.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 10, 2017, 12:59:50 PM
Nice shirt!

I love it! There's another picture that I mention in the podcast, where Matt is wearing a Predator countdown shirt.  :laugh:

Quote from: lv_226 on Jul 10, 2017, 03:54:48 PM
Thank you for this very insightful interview.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Matt and Dane were just great guests and this is probably one of my favorite interviews. Loved how much detail they got into.

QuoteI would really like to see that David book come to light.

Me too! Hopefully we can help make enough noise. I think it'd be a fascinating read.

QuoteThe David viral scene where he is in his laboratory would be neat to see!

I'm hoping it's one of the extra ones that seems to be on the Blu-ray - Phobos or Advent.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Great 'cast, guys! It ended much too early.   Some take-aways for me: Dane's image of "raging-fire-no-sleep-live-together-drawing-like-maniacs" to get the job done; Matt's thoughts on what David might or might not have done to/with Shaw and how that informed his art; and Hicks suggesting their shocking art is so very Giger-esque.   Hicks, Matt and Dane give us a well-guided tour of the mindscape behind their work on the film.  And Dane and Matt: if ever we meet, Ii certainly hope it is not in your dreams!   ;D  Cheers!

Oh yeah: and I'm a lefty as well.  We're the only ones in our "right" mind, right?

Corporal Hicks

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Fen! For me, this part of a film's release is as fun as all the hype leading up to it. Learning about how it all went down behind-the-scenes is just so immensely fascinating to me. Things like Scott trying to guide their artwork - "make it sexual but not sexy. It's hard, I know." - are so interesting to hear. How do you use that advice? lol

sleepyone

Great interview, hats off to both artists, their contribution to the film is probably the best thing A:C has going on

Keyes

Brilliant interview, well done again Hicks. I really enjoyed listening to the guys, and the fact they are clearly fans of the franchise who have constructive opinions about the films.

MICHELLE JOHNSTON

MICHELLE JOHNSTON

Thanks Aaron,

I will do you the courtesy of responding to another excellent Pod Cast on your forum rather than elsewhere.

Three elements struck me:-

1) The view of the guys that when you move into the second act and the narrative is given time to breath its the point that they felt you could legitimately offer a more speculative approach rather than the explicit action orientated elements which preceded it. Given that they were both critical of Prometheus, as this was the point at which the questions raised by Prometheus could be answered that struck me as an interesting reaction. This was the point when the exposition should harden for those who had waited five years. This also applied to the completion of Shaw's story which once again was deliberately treated as conjectural and built on David as the unreliable narrator. (They might just be the musings of a madman something went down but not necessarily this).

2) That the cathedral was the source of the Engineers power and knowledge only made me grieve for a two minute scene where Walter or Daniels fired up their holographic libraries and answered everything we need to know without a live Engineer in sight. This would also have been great continuity from Prometheus.

3) The removal of the tapestry which would offer a road map to Davids descent. This I think high lighted the difficulty and core challenge of this act. David draws them to the cathedral which is alive with the truth of his 10 years. The more explicit that story's evidence the quicker Daniels and Walter are going to punch a hole in David's dissembling. If they had walked past a tapestry a story board of ten years descent it would have made Walters music lesson slightly more than ridiculous. They and the audience would have pinned David to the wall and asked just what the .... went down here.

Given that Fox wanted the flash back out and a portion of the audience and critics feel this act killed the momentum, as opposed to the Prometheus watchers who feel short changed, my conclusion is this act in terms of how it was attempting to please all was a horse designed by committee which turned out to be a camel.       

It comes back to something very simple what is the point of the movie.

1) To get the beast back up and running (tick)

2) To answer and sign off on Prometheus and all its ambiguities (not quite if you wanted to follow David and Shaw through their arcs and want to know what LV 223 meant).

A great insight and some very honest remarks from the guys, the best one being rather than a macabre tense horror film it was an action horror film or words to that effect.

DaveT937

Great work as usual Hicks. Some really intelligent questioning that gave us some great insight.

In my mind, you're the brain of the Alien fanbase and JM Prater is the heart, if that makes any sense!? Lol.

Keep up the good work.

Highland

So I was right about the barrier on my first viewing. That's immediately what I thought when you see the goo form an oval shape then suddenly burst through. I didn't think that it was planet wide though.

Such a shame that we've got to seek out little bits of information that would have made the movie much more enjoyable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed