Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2 (Read 68,090 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jul 11, 2017, 03:00:42 AM
What's wrong with thinking your own movies are the best? Was he going to pick Alien 3 or Resurrection?

I love his confidence.

Recently, Ridley Scott said his 5 Greatest Sci-Fis of All Time:

1.- 2001(Stanley Kubrick).

2.- STAR WARS(1977).

3.- ALIEN.

4.- BLADE RUNNER.

So, he put 2 of his films in the number 3 and 4 of Greatest of All Time.

newagescamartist

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 11, 2017, 06:55:21 AM
Quote from: newagescamartist on Jul 11, 2017, 03:00:42 AM
What's wrong with thinking your own movies are the best? Was he going to pick Alien 3 or Resurrection?

I love his confidence.

Recently, Ridley Scott said his 5 Greatest Sci-Fis of All Time:

1.- 2001(Stanley Kubrick).

2.- STAR WARS(1977).

3.- ALIEN.

4.- BLADE RUNNER.

So, he put 2 of his films in the number 3 and 4 of Greatest of All Time.

His list looks legit, though I might put Alien ahead of Star Wars. But that's just me personally.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 10, 2017, 07:45:14 PM
Seems there may be some hope for Alien 5!

http://www.alien5-movie.com/news/amp/neill-blomkamps-alien-5-originally-did-not-involve-ripley

At the bottom of the article is a mention that an insider has info that Alien 5 is not as dead as we think.  Could be just a rumor...

I did check to make sure I wasn't just re-posting the same thing as was on the first page...

As a rule of thumb, I don't put a lot in of trust in anything that comes from Scified. They don't vet their "sources" well enough imho.

I do know that Fox were still thinking about the concept. I mentioned before how Fox had been in touch with me following Covenant's release. One of the things they were asking about was the interest in Blomkamp's concept so it's not off their radar completely.

Alionic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2017, 07:42:23 AM
I do know that Fox were still thinking about the concept. I mentioned before how Fox had been in touch with me following Covenant's release. One of the things they were asking about was the interest in Blomkamp's concept so it's not off their radar completely.

Do the Fox people you talk to like Covenant?

Corporal Hicks

I can't say we've chatted about that.

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2017, 07:42:23 AM

I can't see the article cos my work blocks it (for... reasons).

That's interesting, though, Hicks - I didn't know that. It's potentially good news but seems to conflict with everything NB has said. Then again, I guess if Fox said to him "About that Aliens 2 thing... you still interested" he's unlikely to say "No, fck off, I'm making cool short movies now."

Can you say when this was? Before his latest "Alien was the reason I got into making films, I'm not going to say bad things about Ridley" stuff I'm guessing?

Yay, though. Colour me excited. And if it does happen, I can imagine the wagering that's going to on around here about those hypersleep dreams *lol*.

Hypersleep Dreams... that's a good name for a band, actually.

Alionic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

Tell them to let Riddles finish his story before they go with Blomkamp.  ;D

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

I have.

Olde

And do they?

SM

Mostly.

LiquidMonster

SM and Hicks-please let Fox know there are people who really, really want to see Neil's ALIEN V.

Even, let's say if Fox goes to Blomkamp and says "here's 60 million bucks, make ALIEN V" there's no doubt whatsoever that he can do it.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Jul 11, 2017, 01:37:47 PM
SM and Hicks-please let Fox know there are people who really, really want to see Neil's ALIEN V.

Even, let's say if Fox goes to Blomkamp and says "here's 60 million bucks, make ALIEN V" there's no doubt whatsoever that he can do it.

I dont think Im coming out of left field here to NOTE that making Blomkamp's ALIEN film next is a very risky move for them.
There are PROS - Ripley mostly.
But the CONS (right now) are very big.

For instance, the next 'ALIEN' film will be viewed by casual audience members as a sequel to ALIEN: COVENANT, and there is just no way around that.
This franchise's BIGGEST obstacle for audiences right now, is it's indiscernible continuity... Making the sequel to Alien: Covenant be a sequel to Aliens that retcons ALIEN 3 and 4 is NOT A SMART MOVE for this studio with this franchise where it is.

I suppose you could also say that any film that brings Ripley back is a path forward, toward making money and in that way is more bankable to the franchise that a Covenant sequel, but it's a tough thing to explain. The PRESS would be loaded with complicated explanations that would make the series sound like an absolute mess.

Ironically, had they made PARADISE a more direct sequel to PROMETHEUS/ AKA PROMETHEUS 2, this would NOT have been a problem. Once again, they HAD the right idea, and then dropped the ball. They should have made PROMETHEUS 2 and BLOMKAMP'S FILM, like they'd intended. Now its harder to manage the PR.

Im being objective here. Its not that I wouldnt be lining up to see it personally, but this community isn't enough.

As of now, from a business perspective, Blomkamp's ALIEN is a problem BECAUSE of COVENANT. Im not saying they wont take this risk, but I think this is a primary and serious reason why it is unlikely. Or at least, something the studio will seriously struggle with.

They need to wrangle this together NEXT, without question. The franchise is losing it's marbles because its all over the place and impenetrable to casual audiences.

If you look at it this way, a film linking COVENANT to ALIEN is the only logical next move. Its unfortunate but at this point Im betting FOX is going to demand a very simple film that links ALIEN to COVENANT and may even involve RIPLEY'S LINEAGE somehow, hoping they can make a stew that doesn't involve people needing to have seen COVENANT - and that is also a big problem.

Linking DAVID to RIPLEY cheaply is the most logical route. DAVID can just live and live - -

newagescamartist

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 11, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

I dont think Im coming out of left field here to NOTE that making Blomkamp's ALIEN film next is a very risky move for them.

For instance, the next 'ALIEN' film will be viewed by casual audience members as a sequel to ALIEN: COVENANT, and there is just no way around that.
This franchise's BIGGEST obstacle for audiences right now, is it's indiscernible continuity... Making the sequel to Alien: Covenant be a sequel to Aliens that retcons ALIEN 3 and 4 is NOT A SMART MOVE for this studio with this franchise where it is.

I suppose you could also say that any film that brings Ripley back is a path forward, toward making money and in that way is more bankable to the franchise that a Covenant sequel, but it's a tough thing to explain. The PRESS would be loaded with complicated explanations that would make the series sound like an absolute mess.

Ironically, had they made PARADISE a more direct sequel to PROMETHEUS/ AKA PROMETHEUS 2, this would NOT have been a problem. Once again, they HAD the right idea, and then dropped the ball. They should have made PROMETHEUS 2 and BLOMKAMP'S FILM, like they'd intended. Now its harder to manage the PR.

Im being objective here. Its not that I wouldnt be lining up to see it personally, but this community isn't enough.

As of now, from a business perspective, Blomkamp's ALIEN is a problem BECAUSE of COVENANT. Im not saying they wont take this risk, but I think this is a primary and serious reason why it is unlikely. Or at least, something the studio will seriously struggle with.

They need to wrangle this together NEXT, without question. The franchise is losing it's marbles because its all over the place and impenetrable to casual audiences.

If you look at it this way, a film linking COVENANT to ALIEN is the only logical next move. Its unfortunate but at this point Im betting FOX is going to demand a very simple film that links ALIEN to COVENANT and may even involve RIPLEY'S LINEAGE somehow.

I think the nostalgia hype machine would kick into full gear. I agree that it could get confusing for the general audience, but the fanbase would hype it for the casual fans. It's a shame both the sequel to Covenant and the NB project can't get greenlit at the same time. If the concept for Alien 5 is really that good I'm willing to swallow a retcon. It's not like it erases Alien 3 and Resurrection from existence, and even though it could be silly, more interest in this franchise is always a good thing especially after the ho-hum box office of Covenant which ironically makes both of these potential sequels even riskier.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jul 11, 2017, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 11, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

If you look at it this way, a film linking COVENANT to ALIEN is the only logical next move. Its unfortunate but at this point Im betting FOX is going to demand a very simple film that links ALIEN to COVENANT and may even involve RIPLEY'S LINEAGE somehow.

I think the nostalgia hype machine would kick into full gear. I agree that it could get confusing for the general audience, but the fanbase would hype it for the casual fans. It's a shame both the sequel to Covenant and the NB project can't get greenlit at the same time. If the concept for Alien 5 is really that good I'm willing to swallow a retcon. It's not like it erases Alien 3 and Resurrection from existence, and even though it could be silly, more interest in this franchise is always a good thing especially after the ho-hum box office of Covenant which ironically makes both of these potential sequels even riskier.

The least risky sequel involves, Ripley 8 (downplaying her cloning stuff) encountering David, on Origae-6, hundreds of years later. Or David, after years of malfunction unleashing his breed on Earth with Ripley there.
Its ridiculous. But its an option.
It would be better to greenlight both Covenant and Alien-kamp at once and then make this Ripley meets David story the next chapter.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Tonyhartmorph on Jul 11, 2017, 01:22:23 AM
A followup to Prometheus was green lit a few months before Blomkamp uploaded his work to Instagram, I find it highly unlikely that Blomkamp didn't know that Scott had mentioned even before Prometheus was released he'd expressed interest in making a new series of films.

And Blomkamp made his pitch to Fox "a few months" before uploading the concept art to Instagram. But it's neither here nor there, Blomkamp had no interest in making a Prometheus sequel whatsoever. He wanted to make an alternative Aliens sequel. There would have been no conflict with Scott's Prometheus series.

QuoteIf you believe what you say, then what purpose would it have served for Blomkamp to put his art out there if he had already had talks with Fox and they dismissed the idea of Alien 5? For all intents and purposes his shit stirring got the pot up to a rolling boil didn't it then?

Fox didn't say no to him. He was unsure whether he still wanted to do it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2017, 01:43:00 PM
Considering how little we actually know of that Blomkamp wanted - outside of seeing some aesthetic return from Aliens and his comments about how Alien: Isolation influenced him - it's impossible to say with any definiteness.

He's doing an AMA on Reddit this Thursday @ 9AM PST (4PM GMT). Why not ask him yourself?

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/884793849423421440

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed