Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 38,898 times)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Scorpio on Jul 10, 2017, 03:37:25 AM
Ripley is the most iconic (apart from Star Wars characters) in sci fi films.  Of course people are going to care.

That's the fun of prequels, otherwise nobody would make them.  You get to see the origins of the alien, the space jockey, Weyland Yutani, etc.  The only thing they haven't covered is Ripley.

It has to be earned though. It can't be arbitrary. And it can't be the foundation, it must be fun sprinkles. Can't build a movie off of a wiz bang wow Ripley's mom! moment.

And no, no one will care. They'll care about ripley herself, but not ripley's mom.

axiomatic

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Scorpio

I remember when the rumours about Daniels being Ripley's mother surfaced (which could still turn out to be true, nothing in Covenant contradicted that).  I don't think it would have hurt the film.  It may have angered some fans, though, but that would be just another in the long list of things they don't like about the movie.

Highland

How far away is Covenant from Alien?

SM ?

SM

Seventeen years, five months, eight days.

Give or take.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Highland on Jul 10, 2017, 06:17:38 AM
How far away is Covenant from Alien?

SM ?

Covenant is 19 years before Alien.

gantarat

How old Ripley on First movies ?

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2017, 06:28:48 AM

Give or take.

So that would rule out the whole mum thing anyway wouldn't it? Unless Ripleys a robot...

Or some other mission happened with other people.

HudsonsChoice

Agree

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Highland on Jul 10, 2017, 09:05:11 AM

Give or take.

So that would rule out the whole mum thing anyway wouldn't it? Unless Ripleys a robot...

It should do. Ridley might not be paying that close attention to the timeline, though.

While I appreciate he's talking about ideas for later films that may or may not happen, I don't blame people for not wanting the idea. I certainly don't want this kind of thing to come into fruition. I think Isolation was the exception and wouldn't expect Ridley to pull it off with that kind of care. Without really knowing more, it strikes me more as arbitrary connection than anything meaningful.

Highland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2017, 10:11:21 AM

Give or take.

It should do. Ridley might not be paying that close attention to the timeline, though.

While I appreciate he's talking about ideas for later films that may or may not happen, I don't blame people for not wanting the idea. I certainly don't want this kind of thing to come into fruition. I think Isolation was the exception and wouldn't expect Ridley to pull it off with that kind of care. Without really knowing more, it strikes me more as arbitrary connection than anything meaningful.

Didn't they make some kind of Alien "rules" book? Or is that another franchise, I thought I remember reading that.

I suppose it is possible with some cryosleep mcguffin to somehow get around it...maybe.

SM

Give or take.

As things stand, it would rule out a connection with Covenant and Ripley.  She is already 12 years old by the time Covenant happens.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Highland on Jul 10, 2017, 10:19:59 AM
Didn't they make some kind of Alien "rules" book? Or is that another franchise, I thought I remember reading that.

No, it was Alien. They spoke about during the set visits on Covenant. It was also in relation to Alien 5 iirc too.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jul 08, 2017, 10:17:36 PM
I really wish the new film is about the events between Prometheus and Covenant. With only 2 leads, Shaw and David, it could be something quite intimate. Ridley could go full 2001 avante garde with it. I think most fans would love something like that.

Well, I would like to see that film.

Quote from: Marcus9000 on Jul 08, 2017, 11:39:48 PM
I really agree with all the posters who don't like to see the narrowing of the Alien universe.

Someone earlier put it best... Alien works because it makes us think about a massive cold universe where there is true horror awaiting humanity.

Let's get back to that.

I liked Prometheus, I know it had flaws but it was different enough to stand on its own merits.

Covenant seemed like a mishmash of all the movies and it really wasn't its own thing.

The return of the Engineers and answers to the questions posed in Prometheus is the direction I want it to go and it would be great if we learn that David did recreate the Xeno (which I suppose he did) but I think it's odds on that the Alien of the original movie is crossbreed with an android... Giving us biomechanical qualities it has. Yet there is no need as the Engineers have similar biomechanical characteristics.

Anyway, who knows what will happen. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prometheus made a point to say "They made us, but who made them?" -- A Lovecraftian answer to that question is the way forward for this series.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ripleys mother haa.. as long as she doesnt create the original Alien. Unlike David who created the original Ripley, who is just a protomorph of Sigourney Weaver --

Or maybe Ridley actually meant Ridley, ja that must be it, the third prequel will portray Ridleys mother: the ultimate space jockey so to speak because Ridleys mother created Ridley who then created the space jockey (who then created eggs or no eggs doesnt matter at all at this point) --

I dont care as long as we get new planets! New planets!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed