Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 39,686 times)

RidgeTop

During the May press junket for the premiere of Alien: Covenant, Instagrammer Luis Nostromo asked Ridley Scott about digitally de-aging Sigourney Weaver for the role of Ripley in a future Alien film, which Scott had previously mentioned in an interview with Empire Magazine. Scott answered that it could be possible, though it may be a few sequels ahead. In his answer, Scott also included some extra information that may sound familiar...

"Well we're heading towards the back end of the first Alien, so that may be feasible, but... Ripley's going to be somebody's daughter, obviously, because you're coming in from the back end, right? And you know, the time constraints between this film where we leave David going off tending for that colony. I think you're probably two films out from even considering her, he's going to go "oh no."(Video)

It's unclear how serious Ridley Scott is being with his answer here regarding future films, especially considering his light-hearted implication that Ripley may end up confronting David. Could this mean that Daniels or perhaps another Character will end up being featured as Ripley's mother after all?

The mention of Ripley's mother brings to mind some earlier rumors of Alien: Covenant in which Daniels was thought to be Ripley's mother. These rumors were eventually denied by Scott during a round-table discussion with MovieWeb at SXSW. However, it should be noted that Scott did imply that the idea had come up during the development phase:

"No. That was probably way back when. 'Should she be the daughter of Ripley?' I said 'no.' She's herself."

In a previous AvPGalaxy Podcast episode some months before the release of Covenant, we discussed the rumor and expressed our concerns on how adding Ripley's mother to the series, especially after the inclusion of Amanda in Alien: Isolation, would make it seem like too much of a family affair.

Lord Freezer

Mother of  Ripley? Meaningless, pretestuous, useless, grotesque...

Corporal Hicks

Hopefully, this'll fade away like it did the first time around. I think it's an absolutely terrible idea - up there with the Derelict crash being recent. Come on, Ridley. Let's move away from this circular thinking and go out there!

RidgeTop

Maybe it'll be something like this?

howard.moody.566

cucuchu

He is talking a lot about multiple future films but I don't think we are going to get even one more future alien film at all now since the box office results of A:C proved the mass audience has zero interest in the franchise. Thankfully that means the shoehorning of Ripley's heritage will never happen.

WolfPre

szkoki

Quote from: howard.moody.566 on Jul 08, 2017, 11:03:28 AM
Stop him now!

He already analed the franchise. Now do what he wants. I dont even care. Everything beyond Alien, Aliens, Alien3 doesnt exist for me.

Whiskeybrewer

Highland

Ridiculously needless on such a level it's mind boggling and would, with some new technology wizardry, make every single person on Earths copy of the Alien Blu ray just disintegrate into dust before their eyes.

Verdict - It'll probably happen then.

Evanus

Oh no. Please don't. I hope Ridley is just rambling here, like he does so often.

whiterabbit

Only as long as we get to see Ripley being made.

WolfPre

Alien, Aliens and even Prometheus to some extent worked because the script had surprise elements. I am an ordinary movie fan, but guessed exactly the Covenent movie's flow by seeing the trailer.  Covenent is an absolute careless money minded attempt by Ridley Scott. He didnt even want to think out of boundary. Some modern director should take over from him, like what Nolan did to Batman movies.

Adam802

sigh.....just stop ridley......

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed