Alien Covenant Blu-ray

Started by 0321recon, Jun 29, 2017, 02:49:35 PM

Author
Alien Covenant Blu-ray (Read 118,399 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Itll soon be timer another fan edit lol

zoidy

zoidy

The third act could only be better if it had more aliens/less aliens/giger's original design/new alien designs/more prometheus engineers/less prometheus-y stuff/old school ship corridors/new internal design/pulse rifles!/sharp sticks/jonesy the cat.

Obviously.

motherfather

motherfather

Wow. It somehow seems like a really early dvd release date. Wasn't expecting it until september/october. Mind you, Life was in theaters just a few weeks before Covenant, and the Life DVD is available already. 3 months gap between theater and dvd release isn't that unusual, but it does feel early. Not that I'm complaining.

Disappointed the DVD isn't an extended cut, but after Prometheus, I know the drill...

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2017, 02:16:55 AM
What are the many unreleased deleted scenes from Prometheus and Alien 3?

In Prometheus there are lots of stuff in the trailers not in the final film. For instance, during the Fifield attack, Shaw and Weyland come into the cargo hold, with his guards firing as the elevator doors open, and it ends up being Shaw that ends up running over Fifield.
In the Alien 3 workprint there is a bunch of stuff that should have been kept. There's an especially great take of Ripley THINKING ABOUT WHETHER to go with BISHOP, that I absolutely love and there's even more I cant think of right now. It used to be on Youtube but Im at a loss for finding it now.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

Glad to hear that there's a smattering of deleted footage included with the 'viral' clips, as I'll look forward to including certain footage into a new re-cut eventually.

At this point, I choose to look on this whole PROMETHEUS storyline as merely an alternate,'re-interpretation' of the source material (in the same kind of way I look on the 2 AvP movies)...as I prefer to retain the mysterious qualities of ALIEN's giant, Giger-esque 'Space Jockey' skeleton the way I originally looked at it.

I may not like the direction Ridley took with his 'Engineer in a suit' / 'David as a Xenomorph creator' scenarios, but I find the PROMETHEUS/COVENANT movies re-watchable enough if I seperate them from his original movie.  Ridley is a fabulous visualist, but some of his 'creative choices' with these 'prequels' have been pretty dodgy, as far as I'm concerned. :P

To be honest, for my own version of PROMETHEUS, I'll be removing the awful side-on shot of the Engineer being 'suited up' in the chair altogether - as far as I'm concerned, this should have been a major 'money shot'...but it turned out to have some very unconvincing CGI of the 'snorkel' attaching and 'ribbed' appendages wrapping around.  Even though I'm looking on these movies as a completely 'alternative take', I just can't include that particular shot in my own re-edit, as it's so disappointingly done in my view!

...and the same goes for those shoddy-looking 'Xeno-vision' shots in COVENANT, by the way.  For such a 'perfect organism', it sure has some poor eyesight! :o

But the vast majority of Ridley's footage is beautifully filmed and executed, and certain additions made PROMETHEUS a far more satisfying watch for me compared to his existing 'theatrical' cut.  And the same will apply to my eventual COVENANT re-edit too, I'm sure...as I already like some of 'The Crossing' footage, especially where David is alone with the 'Engineer statues(suits?), for instance.

And by looking on these 'prequels' as not actually being 'prequels' to ALIEN after all, this certainly helps smooth away any other visual inconsistencies these movies have to the original for me, too.  So I'm very content to look on them this way.

motherfather

motherfather

^ Lol! Xenovision... Poor eyesight...

Should've gone to Specsavers :-)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Those deleted scenes, David revealing his motivation behind selection of the music piece, Mother questioning Walter humming to plants, Daniels turning down Walter's offer to perform a funeral service, Oram suggesting Daniels to take some time off and cry it out to which she disapproves, etc. I think this is what Pietro Scalia meant, that the film was supposed to be full of unpleasant moments of disagreement. I'm not dissatisfied with the final product in the slightest, and I think if this film was even more uncomfortable for a casual viewer, which no doubt it would be if those scenes were inserted, I think it'd earn even less.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

@ motherfather - that was one of the things which 'took me right out of the movie' on first viewing.  Personally, I wasn't keen on Ridley giving the Xenomorph a videogame-like, first-person-point-of-view to begin with...and certainly not such a murky-looking one. 

If we had to have a POV shot, I think it would have been more effective to have it be able to  'zoom-in' on a close-up on the fearful eyes of someone who looked around as they were being chased, or something which showed much better clarity at least.  It just didn't work for me.

Anyway, like David's flute-playing moment of the PROMETHEUS soundtrack, onto the cutting floor they will go for my own version of COVENANT. ;D 

(while I understand the notion that the PROMETHEUS music can retrospectively be seen to be a clever inclusion of the the tune that David composes himself, I just find that too much of a distraction myself)

However, I'm confident that some of the deleted scenes will offer at least one of two nicely-filmed moments that I'll definately want to see included in COVENANT.

SM

SM

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 08, 2017, 02:30:26 AM

In Prometheus there are lots of stuff in the trailers not in the final film. For instance, during the Fifield attack, Shaw and Weyland come into the cargo hold, with his guards firing as the elevator doors open, and it ends up being Shaw that ends up running over Fifield.
In the Alien 3 workprint there is a bunch of stuff that should have been kept. There's an especially great take of Ripley THINKING ABOUT WHETHER to go with BISHOP, that I absolutely love and there's even more I cant think of right now. It used to be on Youtube but Im at a loss for finding it now.

The bit with Shaw and Weyland isn't especially deleted - just re-ordering that resulted in them losing that short series of shots.

With Alien 3 apart from the lengthened scene you mentioned I'm struggling to think of 'many' or 'loads' of deleted material beyond the rare line of dialogue (like Aaron's 'You going to need a bigger cage than that' or talk about 'deoderant' when Rains, Boggs and Golic go off foraging).

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2017, 11:51:35 AM

The bit with Shaw and Weyland isn't especially deleted - just re-ordering that resulted in them losing that short series of shots.

With Alien 3 apart from the lengthened scene you mentioned I'm struggling to think of 'many' or 'loads' of deleted material beyond the rare line of dialogue (like Aaron's 'You going to need a bigger cage than that' or talk about 'deoderant' when Rains, Boggs and Golic go off foraging).
There's the confrontation between Ripley and the Alien down in the basement. Ripley attempting to anger the creature into killing her by attacking it with an iron bar - which it swipes aside.

darkvegett0

darkvegett0

Now I know who buys these awful movies on DVD... ???  8)  ???

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Jul 08, 2017, 03:17:00 AM
Glad to hear that there's a smattering of deleted footage included with the 'viral' clips, as I'll look forward to including certain footage into a new re-cut eventually.

At this point, I choose to look on this whole PROMETHEUS storyline as merely an alternate,'re-interpretation' of the source material (in the same kind of way I look on the 2 AvP movies)...as I prefer to retain the mysterious qualities of ALIEN's giant, Giger-esque 'Space Jockey' skeleton the way I originally looked at it.

I may not like the direction Ridley took with his 'Engineer in a suit' / 'David as a Xenomorph creator' scenarios, but I find the PROMETHEUS/COVENANT movies re-watchable enough if I seperate them from his original movie.  Ridley is a fabulous visualist, but some of his 'creative choices' with these 'prequels' have been pretty dodgy, as far as I'm concerned. :P

To be honest, for my own version of PROMETHEUS, I'll be removing the awful side-on shot of the Engineer being 'suited up' in the chair altogether - as far as I'm concerned, this should have been a major 'money shot'...but it turned out to have some very unconvincing CGI of the 'snorkel' attaching and 'ribbed' appendages wrapping around.  Even though I'm looking on these movies as a completely 'alternative take', I just can't include that particular shot in my own re-edit, as it's so disappointingly done in my view!

...and the same goes for those shoddy-looking 'Xeno-vision' shots in COVENANT, by the way.  For such a 'perfect organism', it sure has some poor eyesight! :o

But the vast majority of Ridley's footage is beautifully filmed and executed, and certain additions made PROMETHEUS a far more satisfying watch for me compared to his existing 'theatrical' cut.  And the same will apply to my eventual COVENANT re-edit too, I'm sure...as I already like some of 'The Crossing' footage, especially where David is alone with the 'Engineer statues(suits?), for instance.

And by looking on these 'prequels' as not actually being 'prequels' to ALIEN after all, this certainly helps smooth away any other visual inconsistencies these movies have to the original for me, too.  So I'm very content to look on them this way.

Assuming it has eyesight, it would be poor because the whole thing got roasted by the engines right?  Including it's head cowling...

BR1XER

BR1XER

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 08, 2017, 02:33:14 PM
Assuming it has eyesight, it would be poor because the whole thing got roasted by the engines right?  Including it's head cowling...
There were two aliens. The one on the Covenant was birthed from Lope, not Oram.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BR1XER on Jul 08, 2017, 08:26:01 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 08, 2017, 02:33:14 PM
There were two aliens. The one on the Covenant was birthed from Lope, not Oram.

Yep.  Totally true.  Forgot.  My bad.

SM

SM

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 08, 2017, 12:13:03 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2017, 11:51:35 AM

There's the confrontation between Ripley and the Alien down in the basement. Ripley attempting to anger the creature into killing her by attacking it with an iron bar - which it swipes aside.

I don't believe the basement scene was in the workprint.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed