Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 28, 2017, 09:42:47 PM

Author
Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant (Read 31,209 times)

SM

Obviously I'd like to see more, but as far as coming from Prometheus to Covenant what we see in the film plus The Crossing was sufficient.

FenGiddel

Thanks for posting this, CH. I always enjoy these peeks behind the scenes.   ;D

Salt The Fries

Pietro has won a couple of Oscars, c'mon.

Huggs

The white room scene was very well done. Why on earth would Ridley cut it? I mean, since these prequels tend to drift towards the philosophical side, why cut one of the better scenes on the subject? The lack of bridging material between the movies was alittle disappointing, but I keep hearing that these movies are kept mysterious and stuff is left out on purpose. But, since we're dealing with established characters, it just doesn't feel necessary. It's not laziness, just bad decision making. But that's just my opinion.

IMO not everything needs to be explained. It's fine to have a gap between Prometheus and Covenant. Leaves some room for imagination.

BishopShouldGo

The prologue is the best scene in the film and the best way to open it. Thank you Pietro.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 29, 2017, 02:09:20 AM

i think the editing of the film was problematic in the 3rd act. Up until then, I didn't mind. Overall, it felt too rushed in the 3rd act. Oscars or no, the lion's share of the film's issues have to do with its editing.

0321recon

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 29, 2017, 02:36:14 AM
Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 29, 2017, 02:09:20 AM
I didn't mind. Overall, it felt too rushed in the 3rd act. Oscars or no, the lion's share of the film's issues have to do with its editing.

This.

SM

The editing is supervised by the director.

Huggs

Or, to put it this way, mystery is indeed a great asset for a stand-alone movie, or the first film in a series. Alien 1979, The Thing, etc. After that, you're dealing with people and creatures that are known to the audience, and detailed exposition generally improves the film. I remember reading an article some time ago that discussed how the modern audience is more capable of figuring things out, and doesn't need to be spoon-fed everything. Figuring things out is one thing, being forced to make-up whole events and scenes in your head (letting the audience form their own opinions) is not intellectual or artistic, it's unnecessary.

BishopShouldGo

People who wanted their precious one minute of 1979 space jockey preserved are... well, let's just say I'm happy they did not get their way.

Yawwwwwwn. Mystery?! For ME?! Wow!!!

Protozoid

Protozoid

It sounds like the assembly/script is told chronologically. First the prologue with Weyland, then about 12 minutes of David and Shaw, followed by the bombing scene. Scalia, as an editor, is concerned with not only pacing, but a structure that has a balanced shape. He thought it was taking too long to get to the main story. Let's face it: even with all of the Shaw scenes restored, she's still almost completely irrelevant to the story besides providing some of David's motivation. Scalia was looking for something to cut, and he and Scott disagreed about what those cuts should be.

We know Scott fought to keep the bombing scene, so his idea to speed up the beginning was to lose the even more irrelevant prologue scene. It's a nice scene, but it's also the most expendable one in the final cut. It sets up themes at were already set up in the prequel at great length. But it's a shorter scene and a less time-consuming way to open the film. Scalia's idea to speed up the movie was use a small part of Shaw's footage as a flashback and use the Weyland scene as a thematic prolongue. To Scalia, this was the most balanced way to structure the movie. In effect, he sacrified story and character in favor of pacing, structure, and theme. He goes on and on about theme and pacong and doesn't show much consideration for story.

That was regrettable. On essence, Scalia would rather that Covenant work better as a standalone movie and sacrificed connecting to and building on Prometheus. Prometheus already set up David. The prologue, while nicely shot and admirably spare, contributes nothing that a Prometheus fan didn't already know. Imho, Scalia was too concerned with the impersonal details of structure and pacing and disregarded something that rival studios have figured out: fans want the story to build over each new movie, connecting the emotional dots. He didn't pay enough attention to tracking e story from the perspective of the audience. He did what he liked, not what he should have done.

Sorry, Pietro, but your editing ruined another Ridley movie. He's a damn butcher. He needs to stop trying to fix stories in the editing room. He did the same to Prometheus, thinking that the structure needed fixing when it didn't. Having flawless pacing and a balanced structure is secondary to tracking the story in the way that allows the audience the deepest experience.

Scalia has hacked so many Shaw scenes from this series that I have to question whether he is an appropriate choice to edit them. Scott makes epics. A long buildup is the hallmark of the Alien series. The more I hear about Scalia, the less I approve of his values. Pacing should never harm story, yet time and again Scalia compromises the story and argues that it was the only way to get perfect pacing. No wonder he's more interested in David than Shaw. He sacrifices the heart and soul in pursuit of structural perfection.

There was another option: a 12min flashback. Scalia overrates the importance of pacing and is all too willing to butcher the narrative in order to do it.

SM

Oscar winning editor of over 30 movies vs. angry guy on the internet.

FIGHT!

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 29, 2017, 03:21:29 AM
It sounds like the assembly/script is told chronologically. First the prologue with Weyland, then about 12 minutes of David and Shaw, followed by the bombing scene. Scalia, as an editor, is concerned with not only pacing, but a structure that has a balanced shape. He thought it was taking too long to get to the main story. Let's face it: even with all of the Shaw scenes restored, she's still almost completely irrelevant to the story besides providing some of David's motivation. Scalia was looking for something to cut, and he and Scott disagreed about what those cuts should be.

We know Scott fought to keep the bombing scene, so his idea to speed up the beginning was to lose the even more irrelevant prologue scene. It's a nice scene, but it's also the most expendable one in the final cut. It sets up themes at were already set up in the prequel at great length. But it's a shorter scene and a less time-consuming way to open the film. Scalia's idea to speed up the movie was use a small part of Shaw's footage as a flashback and use the Weyland scene as a thematic prolongue. To Scalia, this was the most balanced way to structure the movie. In effect, he sacrified story and character in favor of pacing, structure, and theme. He goes on and on about theme and pacong and doesn't show much consideration for story.

That was regrettable. On essence, Scalia would rather that Covenant work better as a standalone movie and sacrificed connecting to and building on Prometheus. Prometheus already set up David. The prologue, while nicely shot and admirably spare, contributes nothing that a Prometheus fan didn't already know. Imho, Scalia was too concerned with the impersonal details of structure and pacing and disregarded something that rival studios have figured out: fans want the story to build over each new movie, connecting the emotional dots. He didn't pay enough attention to tracking e story from the perspective of the audience. He did what he liked, not what he should have done.

Sorry, Pietro, but your editing ruined another Ridley movie. He's a damn butcher. He needs to stop trying to fix stories in the editing room. He did the same to Prometheus, thinking that the structure needed fixing when it didn't. Having flawless pacing and a balanced structure is secondary to tracking the story in the way that allows the audience the deepest experience.

Scalia has hacked so many Shaw scenes from this series that I have to question whether he is an appropriate choice to edit them. Scott makes epics. A long buildup is the hallmark of the Alien series. The more I hear about Scalia, the less I approve of his values. Pacing should never harm story, yet time and again Scalia compromises the story and argues that it was the only way to get perfect pacing. No wonder he's more interested in David than Shaw. He sacrifices the heart and soul in pursuit of structural perfection.

There was another option: a 12min flashback. Scalia overrates the importance of pacing and is all too willing to butcher the narrative in order to do it.

Well said. It's seems like he forgot the basics from film school. It's all about, character, story, and lastly pacing. Not the other way around.

Like I mentioned before, on this thread I'm hoping that Scott releases an extended cut with this entire sequence restored.

bleau

bleau

QuoteSorry, Pietro, but your editing ruined another Ridley movie. He's a damn butcher. He needs to stop trying to fix stories in the editing room. He did the same to Prometheus, thinking that the structure needed fixing when it didn't. Having flawless pacing and a balanced structure is secondary to tracking the story in the way that allows the audience the deepest experience.

Well I'm sorry to tell you, that regardless of who is editing the film, it had to be just under 2 hours per Fox's Contractual Order. It was in contract to be under 2 hours. Besides it sounds to me like he fought to have more themes kept in the story. It's a hard job given the restrictions and restraints of director , studio and all of the above. If you have problems with either film he is not to blame.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed