Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP

Started by Scorpio, Jun 14, 2017, 11:38:50 AM

Author
Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP (Read 10,240 times)

426Buddy

I actually liked her in the film. Now the italian guy had some terrible lines. That bit about the hunters moon makes me crack up laughing every time.

SiL

Made a hell of a lot more sense when that was the segue into showing the Predators arriving. Still cheesy, but at least you know why it's there.

Infected

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2017, 08:54:04 AM
Why?
It doesnt fit, its the so called old man's knowledge a la Santiago/Paolo Coelho played and acted by a guy who more looks like he is there for the pussy then he does show some hero aka Hicks type character, Hicks you have sympathy for because he embodies that tough guy who gives his life for justice, this guy comes across so cheap, and the is lines and how he pronounce it just comes across so wrong

SM

He's nothing like a Hicks type.

Corporal Hicks

I cannot agree with that at all. He's nothing like Hicks - nor would I say he's intended to be - and I have no idea what any of that has to do with him being Italian and how his nationality somehow makes it worse.

Infected

Infected

Exactly, he is nothing like Hicks, overall a very bad character with a lot of cringe in his overacted Italian accent.
personal taste, i dont like Italians and Greeks, mostly a lot of talk about nothing, like their sacred olive oil crap.
But im probably not he only one who thinks that way, because nobody felt that guy in the movie. ;)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2017, 01:58:48 PM
I cannot agree with that at all. He's nothing like Hicks - nor would I say he's intended to be - and I have no idea what any of that has to do with him being Italian and how his nationality somehow makes it worse.
Something different that caught my eye on this site.
With special personnel i saw the Strause Brothers on this site, Colin and Creg aka the makers of AVP:R and the awesome Skyline movie,
are you telling me both where active members on this site??????

426Buddy

Quote from: Infected on Jun 26, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
Exactly, he is nothing like Hicks, overall a very bad character with a lot of cringe in his overacted Italian accent.
personal taste, i dont like Italians and Greeks, mostly a lot of talk about nothing, like their sacred olive oil crap.
But im probably not he only one who thinks that way, because nobody felt that guy in the movie. ;)

Something different that caught my eye on this site.
With special personnel i saw the Strause Brothers on this site, Colin and Creg aka the makers of AVP:R and the awesome Skyline movie,

Dislike for his character stems from the qaulity of his acting, not his nationality. People should be judged by their character and as individuals not as a group or race

It amazes me that you would dislike Italians or Greeks based upon something as trivial as olive oil. :o

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Infected on Jun 26, 2017, 05:12:07 PM

Thought it was going to be something as stupid as this. I don't tolerate this kind of crap on here. Please enjoy a week of being unable to share your thoughts with us. If you return from that little sojourn with the same crappy attitude towards people just because of their nationalities, we'll make it a permanent break.

And yes, they were.

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2017, 06:28:41 PM

And yes, they were.

It always fascinates me that they were actively engaging with the fan community on a public forum - I don't know any other instances of that happening (I'm sure there must be).

I can't help but think that their hearts were in the right place about wanting to make a good movie that delivered on the violence and horror and wanting the fans to be excited about it and all that stuff.

It turned out quite... acrimonious in the end though I think? I don't think I was a member here at that time, but I recall a discussion about the Strausse discussions that they got a little offended when the AvP:R wasn't received that well.

SM

They were certainly brave but also incapable of fathoming that people didn't slavishly worship Aliens.  SiL had some interesting discussions with them.  I never saw AvP:R in cinemas so didn't have any need to speak to them.

Peter Jackson used to participate on The Bastards Have Landed internet forum back before Lord Of The Rings, and he was pretty cool.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 09:23:24 AM
They were certainly brave but also incapable of fathoming that people didn't slavishly worship Aliens.  SiL had some interesting discussions with them.  I never saw AvP:R in cinemas so didn't have any need to speak to them.

Peter Jackson used to participate on The Bastards Have Landed internet forum back before Lord Of The Rings, and he was pretty cool.

Brave is certainly the word. It's a huge risk, I think, because - even if it was "not great in the end" - no one sets out to make a bad movie, but in fandom... its very hard to please everybody.

I was going to ask my agent to pitch an Alien-verse novel, l but I wonder if people on here would tear me a new one if it ever got written. I suspect they would *lol*

As for LOTR, I religiously avoided internet "stuff" about it as I really didn't want any spoilers, but I guess PJ was pretty confident he'd made a good movie!

SM

That was back before he was even making it from memory.  Back circa Frighteners probably when he was trying to get King Kong off the ground the first time.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 09:23:24 AM
They were certainly brave but also incapable of fathoming that people didn't slavishly worship Aliens.  SiL had some interesting discussions with them.
I got accused of just wanting insect Aliens because I thought egg barfing was nonsense.

By the co-director of a multi-million dollar movie.

CelticP

I remember that. You were 100%, that whole egg barfing thing was awful in every way.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 09:49:05 AM
That was back before he was even making it from memory.  Back circa Frighteners probably when he was trying to get King Kong off the ground the first time.

Well - I guess at that stage, if you're not on a beloved franchise, you'd have more leeway because naturally film fans are keen to communicate with film-makers.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2017, 10:01:28 AM
I got accused of just wanting insect Aliens because I thought egg barfing was nonsense.

By the co-director of a multi-million dollar movie.

It was nonsense - and maybe they were feeling bruised at that stage if things hadn't been going according to plan. I mean - I'd be gutted if I was one of them. As I say above, they didn't set out to make a poor movie, but... it wasn't great in the end.

Though in their slight defense, I think they wanted to set it in space with Colonial Marines and the money guys said "No, set it that First Blood town that everyone loves so much" (Hope, I think its called *lol*).

Now I read that back, I'm coming across as an Avp:R / Strausse apologist... I'm really not. You know, years ago I looked on that movie much more kindly but I watched the blu-ray again a little while back and thought "What was I thinking!"

I am, on the other hand, a complete Paul WS Anderson fan-boy apologist. I genuinely rate AvP - I think it does what it says on the tin and I'd argue with anyone who says Anderson didn't care about the franchise - I mean... he loves Alien(s) (Look at Event Horizon which is clearly set in the same Universe. And Soldier... which is probably set in the same Universe (if you believe that Blade Runner is too)).

Listening to the AvP commentary, he often sounds regretful but he's never outright critical of Fox and so on (because he wants to carry on working, I guess), but as I've said before... was the AvP we saw really the AvP he wanted to make? I don't know that it was (I could be wrong, he could think its his magum opus for all I know).

As for Latham - why not? She was a good choice for a lead: I think she's a strong actress and she didn't look out of place in her climbing / action bits.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed