Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP

Started by Scorpio, Jun 14, 2017, 11:38:50 AM

Author
Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP (Read 10,236 times)

Scorpio

I was pondering this as I rewatched AVP.  She is practically a no-name actress, and it's very unusual to see an African-American female as the lead for an action movie.  It appeals to a very small demographic.  Unless you count Catwoman which came out the same year.  Was AVP trying to be progressive or is the issue irrelevant?

SM

SM

They liked her audition I guess.

It's not like anyone was especially high profile in that cast with the possible exception of Lance.  She did alright with a very average script.

I always got the impression she was a take on Machiko.  Petite, tough, 'minority'.

Kel G 426

Mila Jovovich must have been unavailable.

SiL

They liked her for the role. The end.

Local Trouble

At least she wasn't a Ripley (or Dutch) relative.

Predalien91

I think they were looking to recapture the essence of a unknown actor making a break through preformance like Sigourney Weaver  did in Alien. The problem is Sanaa Lathan she had no charisma. I found her annoying and laughed when she said " it's a bomb..   well I hope it's kills every f**king one of em!!!" Cringe..... Lol

happypred

Lathan was the least of AvP's problems

Infected

The bigger problem im struggling with is the cringe Spanish guy, really totally out of place.

As for Sanaa, Maria Conchita Alonso or Elpidia Carillo didnt age very well.

SiL

He was Italian.

BishopShouldGo

Wasn't Milla offered AvP?

CelticP

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 14, 2017, 11:38:50 AM
I was pondering this as I rewatched AVP.  She is practically a no-name actress, and it's very unusual to see an African-American female as the lead for an action movie.  It appeals to a very small demographic.  Unless you count Catwoman which came out the same year.  Was AVP trying to be progressive or is the issue irrelevant?

What would it matter if it was trying to be progressive?

Why shouldn't we have more diverse actors in our action films?

Scorpio

I don't really care, it's just unusual for big budget studio films.

CelticP

Yeah, it's a bit of an issue.

Infected

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed