Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP

Started by Scorpio, Jun 14, 2017, 11:38:50 AM

Author
Why Sanaa Lathan was cast as the lead in AVP (Read 10,235 times)

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2017, 10:01:28 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 09:23:24 AM
They were certainly brave but also incapable of fathoming that people didn't slavishly worship Aliens.  SiL had some interesting discussions with them.
I got accused of just wanting insect Aliens because I thought egg barfing was nonsense.

By the co-director of a multi-million dollar movie.

I have a recollection that they made some sidelong snipe at you (without naming names obviously) an interview afterwards by saying something along the lines of 'Who doesn't love Aliens?'  Which completely misrepresented everything you were saying.

I remember Steve Perry interacting with us years ago and I took issue with there being a lingerie store on the Death Star (while still enjoying the book he co-wrote).  He stood his ground on it without being a dick (and he can be very opinionated).

The Strauses were the very epitomy of unprofessional hacks in that regard.

Local Trouble

Why in the world did they expect slavish Aliens fans to approve of their egg-barfing idea?

Alionic

Sanaa Lathan was the LEAST of AVP's problems, and who gives a shit about the nationality of the actors. It's the script that made them bad.

And AVPR was a solid self-aware B movie. Haters can go get impregnated by the Predalien IMO.

SM

Which bit was solid?
I think I missed it.

Alionic

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2017, 02:55:35 AM
Which bit was solid?
I think I missed it.

I liked the Predator and Alien fights at both the power plant and in the sewer. I grew up on the Scream films in the 90s, so the middle America small town slasher setting worked pretty well for me. Also, the gore was good.

SM

Does the power plant really constitute a "fight"?  Unless it was AvP: A steel pipe vs. Predator.

Scorpio

If it's a form of violent confrontation then it's a fight.

SM

If getting belted with a tail and falling over a railing counts as a fight, it's a pissweak fight.

kwisatz

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2017, 10:01:28 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2017, 09:23:24 AM
They were certainly brave but also incapable of fathoming that people didn't slavishly worship Aliens.  SiL had some interesting discussions with them.
I got accused of just wanting insect Aliens because I thought egg barfing was nonsense.

By the co-director of a multi-million dollar movie.

Omg this sounds hilarious, could someone provide me with a link if not too much trouble?

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Jul 28, 2017, 06:42:49 AM
If getting belted with a tail and falling over a railing counts as a fight, it's a pissweak fight.

A fight, nonetheless.

Master

AvP-R  fights were one sided and shitty. The only one good enough was rooftop fight, but you couldn't see much of it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I rewatched AvPR all the way throughout for the first time in about 7 years last night and it's a little better to the Alien than I always remembered. Granted, it's still pretty one-sided considering it's one Predator vs a bunch but you have little moments like the Aliens crawling under Wolf in the Power Plant and him not noticing and the Aliens stalking (granted, they're walking into a trap so he may have actually seen them) in the ceiling during the sewer sequence.

DerelictShip

I haven't seen the movie in years either, even when the alien and Predator marathons come on I find myself skipping over it.

But I will say AVPR gave us some pretty bad ass creature designs on both sides, I was very impressed. However, the film really failed to show this...lighting of course. They were a thing of beauty though, wish they accompanied that with a good script.

SM

Far and away, AvP:R had the worst Alien designs out of any of the films.

Corporal Hicks

It was the overbite that ruined it for me. Otherwise I didn't actually mind the redesigned head.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed