Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,978 times)

newagescamartist

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 03, 2017, 08:28:32 PM

Scott also seemed to actively undermine the project, claiming there was no script, even though a script was confirmed by multiple high profile people, and saying about the film "It seems like shooting your big toe off." It's clear that he doesn't want anyone to play in his sandbox. It's entirely strange to me for someone who was never known for sequels to return to this franchise and claim to be the arbiter of it. I'm honestly glad that Covenant is bombing, perhaps it may bring Fox to their senses.

I think it's the contrary. I think Covenant bombing was the final nail in the coffin for Alien 5. Ridley Scott was right: The alien isn't bankable anymore. Being happy that a movie in this franchise bombs seems strange to me. Fox might not even let Ridley finish his trilogy so they certainly aren't going to gamble on something like Alien 5. It's obvious that you hate Covenant, but it bombing hurts the fanbase more than a bad movie would have.

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

Sorry, but when you have Scott saying he had intentions to make a series of films before Prometheus was released, had his next Alien film green lit and Blomkamp gets the Aliens fanboys in a tizz with retrograde sentimentality via Twitter, then Blomkamp only has himself to blame.

I get rather irritated when people moan about Scott supposedly pulling the plug.

I think the path Blomkamp took was in exceptionally bad form. He's also bitterly compounded certain peoples dislike of the direction Prometheus and Covenant have taken. I'm glad he was taken to the side by his ear.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: D88M on Jun 03, 2017, 07:52:10 PM
i am glad, i dont like his ideas for this movie at all

Same here.

Superintendent Andrews

Ridley, give up the reigns. My favorite cinematic universe is being ripped apart.

PsyKore

I put it down more to bad timing than anything else. If the concept was brought up when Ridley wasn't doing his films, then I'd wager that they would've gone ahead with it. I really don't think there's anything sinister going on behind the scenes; it's just business.

As far as the script though, didn't the likes of James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver say they read it?

Hughughug

Quote from: Tonyhartmorph on Jun 03, 2017, 08:51:25 PM

I get rather irritated when people moan about Scott supposedly pulling the plug.

Too bad. People wouldn't "moan" about it if either Fox or Scott were clear and honest about what happened. Some people are fine with Scott saying "Fox didn't want to keep pursuing it", and that's fine. Me and others don't buy it, for reasons already stated.

I think the path Blomkamp took was in exceptionally bad form. He's also bitterly compounded certain peoples dislike of the direction Prometheus and Covenant have taken. I'm glad he was taken to the side by his ear.

People didn't need Blomkamp to dislike the direction Scott is taking the franchise, I can assure you. Plenty of people were already bashing Prometheus way before Blomkamp took his "retrograde sentimentality" to Twitter.

Quote from: PsyKore on Jun 03, 2017, 09:38:12 PM

As far as the script though, didn't the likes of James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver say they read it?

Yes. And that's why some people are suspicious of Scott. His undermining of Alien V makes it clear he didn't like the idea of it happening.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 03, 2017, 08:28:32 PM
Scott also seemed to actively undermine the project, claiming there was no script, even though a script was confirmed by multiple high profile people.

Ridley Scott himself had previously said that he had read the script. He even liked it. Go figure...

"We have Neill Blomkamp's Alien, which will be out in 2017. We just have the first [screenplay] draft in so far but it looks pretty good."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/10/05/ridley-scott-talks-neill-blomkamps-alien-5/

SM

Quote from: Hughughug on Jun 03, 2017, 09:45:46 PM

Too bad. People wouldn't "moan" about it if either Fox or Scott were clear and honest about what happened. Some people are fine with Scott saying "Fox didn't want to keep pursuing it", and that's fine. Me and others don't buy it, for reasons already stated.

People didn't need Blomkamp to dislike the direction Scott is taking the franchise, I can assure you. Plenty of people were already bashing Prometheus way before Blomkamp took his "retrograde sentimentality" to Twitter.

Yes. And that's why some people are suspicious of Scott. His undermining of Alien V makes it clear he didn't like the idea of it happening.

So?  Companies aren't obliged to explain their decision making processes on how they want invest their money to anyone but their shareholders.

Jacku

Surely a big name like Sigourney Weaver could have a say in getting this film made. If a film won't be made maybe this could be done as a book or a comic. That concept art is so good and the story ideas that come from them seem awesome.
I wonder what the premise of the film would have been. Where did Ripley, Newt and Hicks go after ALIENS.

Mr. Clemens

What a relief. Save the do-overs for the superhero twaddle!

SM

Quote from: Jacku on Jun 03, 2017, 10:02:09 PM
Surely a big name like Sigourney Weaver could have a say in getting this film made. If a film won't be made maybe this could be done as a book or a comic. That concept art is so good and the story ideas that come from them seem awesome.
I wonder what the premise of the film would have been. Where did Ripley, Newt and Hicks go after ALIENS.

She would have a say, but not a terribly big one.  She's obviously still high profile, but not nearly enough to get a big budget film made.

zoidy

"so far it looks pretty good"

How many iterations do scripts go through?

We really are desperately looking to blame Ridley here, aren't we? Does anybody actually genuinely think FOX would abandon a good script and likely profitable project on the sayso of Ridley, if they wanted it to go ahead?

Madness.

SM

Projects can be 'dead' for years before they ultimately materialise.

The original script based on the comic for AvP was successfully pitched in 1991 and the final film didn't eventuate until 2004.

Michael Biehn rocks

Michael Biehn rocks

im not sure if it was michael biehn that nose looks different 4 me

newagescamartist

It's silly to assume that Alien 5 even had a good story seeing as how I haven't heard a single plot synopsis. Maybe it's my own ignorance, but what was the story? All I've seen is some horrible concept art ( the images attached to this story ). It's also silly to assume Ridley is the one behind the project's demise. Unless someone is privy to insider knowledge this is all speculation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed