Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,621,927 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 10, 2019, 11:11:43 PMMarvel won't do adult stuff anymore. Their "mature" stuff hasn't stretched much beyond PG-13 in years.

That sucks.  I loved their MAX imprint and the Punisher series in particular.  Alien would have been a perfect IP for them then.

The fact that they're licensing Frozen out to DH is a good (albeit weird) sign though.  They also licensed Star Wars out to IDW for certain titles.  Maybe that bodes well for Alien and Predator.

tyrannosaurusjones

tyrannosaurusjones

He means the odds of it moving from Dark Horse to Marvel are low.

The Old One

The Old One

I hope you're right, I really do.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

OT, but I kind of think Marvel may have their eyes on the Aliens series.  2 Avengers films made reference to the Aliens films...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If only we could see what Winston's aliens looked like before Cameron ditched the canopy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't believe they ever had the dome. I'm sure I asked Alec about it in The Predator interview.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I like to think they used the skull at the some point and Cameron said "that looks stupid" so they got rid of it.  That's my head canon.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAdam: You do see that in one of the video games as well in Aliens Colonial Marines. They have a Giger style Alien but without the dome that's just the exposed skull and yeah it does look a little silly.

Alec: It's interesting. Tom Woodruff sculpted the head in Aliens and Cameron had us remove the dome which I was very much against but his logic was "look this is a stunt movie. We're gonna be doing things with this Alien that they never did in the 79 Alien and that dome is gonna be cracking constantly." To which my response was "well then, we'll just have more." We'll just make a bunch of domes and we've done that subsequently without any problem. I don't think Jim was as familiar with some of the durable plastics. He just thought it was gonna be shattering like glass every time a guy took a fall and that's not the case but having said that in Aliens, Tom sculpted the head that did not have a dome. The front of it has no eyes so I think Cameron wanted to maintain the eyeless look without a dome

Aaron: Did you guys never get as far as having any dome on the Aliens' Aliens at all because it is a story that Cameron said what he said. That they'd break but my memory of it was that they were breaking which was why they got rid of them.

Alec: No, we never made them. We never made domes – it was his certainty from the get-go. The movie is great so you have people who embrace that because they love the movie. If the movie had not been great people would say "Not only did the movie suck but they screwed up the Alien".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I like to think that Cameron is the original skull hater.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Here's some spicy nuggets!

QuoteThe Alien in the first movie wasn't a full adult yet - the individual in ALIEN never reached maturity. In time his head would get ridges and would transform into a fully adult creature that we see in 'Aliens'. The young alien of the first movie looked pretty much the same as the adult underneath the dome. Aliens are "born" with a smooth head, and this cover falls off after a while, exposing the ridges. Supporting this thesis, the chestburster in "Aliens" had a smooth head.

"Overall the design is the same as the first film's" (Alien Comparison Chart). There are some subtle differences in the body, but nothing that could be called a redesign or original, just slight alterations. First of all, the body is much much slimmer and the limbs thinner to make the alien look even less human-like and to eliminate the human-like posture. That is a direct continuation of the the original idea with a better execution. In the original movie, the tallest and the thinnest person they could find was hired to play alien in three scenes. In Aliens, the alien is even taller and even slimmer thanks to the advancements in puppetry and animatronics. This time a puppet could be used for certain scenes

"(The puppets) stand almost eight feet tall - the same size as, yet even thinner than, the original alien"
- Stan Winston, Aliens Official Movie Magazine 1986

QuoteJames Cameron: The Alien head in the first film was very smooth. The top of the head was very smooth. Underneath it had a skull shape and a ribbed design and originally it was designed to see that through that kind of transparent surface in the Giger design. I thought that what was underneath the surface was more interesting than the final look
(Aliens DVD Commentary)

QuoteWe planned to [have a domed head] with ours, and to that end Stan Winston had Tom Woodruff sculpt up a ribbed, bone-like understructure that would fit underneath and be slightly visible through the cowl. When it was finished, they gave it a real nice paint job, and then I took a look at it and I said, 'Hey, this looks much more interesting the way it is.' So we ditched the cowl
(Winston Effect)

#TeamNoSkull

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 13, 2019, 06:40:08 PM

Does he hates it more than Alien 3 though?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 13, 2019, 06:58:50 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 13, 2019, 06:40:08 PM

Does he hates it more than Alien 3 though?

~ I will now channel James Cameron's personal headcanon to answer your question ~

There was an Alien 3?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 13, 2019, 07:05:55 PM
There was an Alien 3?

Just give Cameron some time. He will get there.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 13, 2019, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 13, 2019, 07:05:55 PM
There was an Alien 3?

Just give Cameron some time. He will get there.

When Cameron was in Egypt's land....
Let my Cameron do Alien 3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed