Should Blomkamp's Alien 5 be made before more Ridley Alien films?

Started by LastSurvivor92, May 29, 2017, 11:08:58 AM

Should Blomkamp's Alien 5 be made before more Ridley Alien films?

Yes
No
Author
Should Blomkamp's Alien 5 be made before more Ridley Alien films? (Read 11,031 times)

LastSurvivor92

After seeing Ridley Scott's Prometheus and Alien:Covenant what do you guys think should happen from here on out?

I've been hearing some audiences express a great desire for a change and to bring back more action-packed, classic-heroic tones with Blomkamp's Alien film. I think wiping Scott's team down clean and reassemblying a new one would be very beneficial for Ridley next time around. Not only was Damon Lindelof's writing massively criticized by fans after Prometheus but now Alien:Covenant is being gouged out now too, everything from the editing to the actors and pacing. Even though I don't have anything wrong with Alien:Covenant I feel like Blomkamp's Alien 5 film is still the Alien film that would deliver much better domestically here to fans in the States and abroad to other countries. It would do a real Fan service to make Blomkamp's Alien 5. I don't personally care about the people on here that are debbie-downers and want to put down the AlienS fan boys. It's those negative people here that need to realize that the ALIENS fans are a BIG part of what make this fanbase up.

To see Sigourney Weaver as Ripley with Michael Biehn as Hicks again in an all out onslaught against the Aliens would be a fanboy's dream no matter what you say.

Kel G 426

I don't think Ridley's plan for an entire trilogy after Prometheus is going to pan out, not with the diminishing returns we're already seeing. I liked Covenant though and do hope we get just one more film to wrap up David's story.

My vote, however, goes to Alien 5 because that's the movie I wanted in the first damn place.

Alien³

Quote from: Chronicle on May 29, 2017, 11:08:58 AM
To see Sigourney Weaver as Ripley with Michael Biehn as Hicks again in an all out onslaught against the Aliens would be a fanboy's dream no matter what you say.

Perfect-Organism

100%, they should do Blomkamp's film now.  It is clear that Ridley Scott has been trying to push away all other films in the series that were not his so that it could be his baby completely, so I want to see James Cameron's film get some more respect with a much different and hopefully better sequel.

Russ

They can do both. As you say, it would be a shame now not to see the end of David's story, but equally NB's proposal - given that its in the future as far at the chronology goes, can and indeed should happen.

I think it was Giler who said something like you could film two hour of someone taking a piss and call it Alien and it'd make money.

Honestly - riding the nostalgia wave I think would make Alien5 (or is it .2. Or AL III EN as someone on here did which I think is genius) more of an event movie for sure. It would get more than just the fans excited, I think.

Look - Covenant had some interesting themes, but it wasn't "OMG, Wow" - it was OK, I'd like to hear the commentary, I think and watch the extended version with all the bits added back in - I think that'd help, even if it won't get around the liberties taken with established canon.

Honestly - as I say - I think there is room for both.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Alien³ on May 29, 2017, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: Chronicle on May 29, 2017, 11:08:58 AM

http://68.media.tumblr.com/cdb137d9f74e1337c9861e63e9f39c2e/tumblr_ntvhlnlyZy1ruf44ao7_400.gif

Agreed. If they absolutely must bring back Hicks and Ripley to sate the hunger of ravenous fanboys, it should be in a supporting role to ease the inevitable transition toward a new hero/protagonist.

And, good lord, if Newt returns it better be expertly-written and not made so on the nose that it is Newt. In other words, the only purpose it would be able to aptly serve is to f**k with the viewer's head and add onto whatever already latent element of psychology is already indicative therein (in the film), which actually brings me to a more important point... replace all the philosophical crap with a psychological element IMMEDIATELY!

SpreadEagleBeagle

Big NO

I rather have them ditch and bury Blomkamp's A5 for all eternity.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 30, 2017, 07:36:04 PM
Big NO

I rather have them ditch and bury Blomkamp's A5 for all eternity.

^

This, so much THIS!

N-Shifter

N-Shifter

Nope, let Ridley finish this trilogy and THEN let Blomkamp make an Alien movie, it doesn't have to involve Ripley and let's be honest here, by the time Ridley makes another movie Sigourney and Michael will be too old to reprise their roles anyway; his original story didn't involve Ripley anyway, it was only after discussing his ideas that she got on board.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: N-Shifter on May 30, 2017, 10:59:46 PM
Nope, let Ridley finish this trilogy and THEN let Blomkamp make an Alien movie, it doesn't have to involve Ripley and let's be honest here, by the time Ridley makes another movie Sigourney and Michael will be too old to reprise their roles anyway; his original story didn't involve Ripley anyway, it was only after discussing his ideas that she got on board.

Agreed. Let Ridley do his run first and then let Blomkamp come for his project (without Ripley, Hicks and Newt please) and I think we'd all be happy. Ripley's easily replaceable with a new character.

We don't need a Ripley clone. Just have human characters that distinguish themselves from established characters.

If we really must get Signourney on board, then let it be a story about Ripley-8 after Resurrection. I'm interested in seeing what happened to her.

Lonely Universe

Ridley first. It Blomkamp gives us the Alien film we all want it'll be a downer to go back to the weird stuff Scott is doing.

Russ

I agree that we should see Ridley's thing out first... age aside, I can't see NB tackling this without Sigourney and Michael, though... I mean, Arine's still making action movies and he's in his 70s. Michael is 60 now and Sigourney 67.

Or at least it would be a hard sell, since the clamour for the film came from those images... and that was outside of the "fandom" - the internet went into melt down over it.

In my wildest dreams, I wish they would shoot it concurrently. I mean, my gut feel is that David's arc must tie into the "thousands of eggs" on LV-426, so I can't see that the the prequels will overtly affect the next two movies in terms of continuity.

Don't get me wrong - I hear all the arguments for not retconning: but that is a moot point of NB makes the movie based on the concept art he hawked around.

That said, I've seen the new teaser he's brought out. Maybe he's going to do an Asylum and basically do the movie he wanted but with "not-xenomorphs." ;D

Gash

Quote from: Lonely Universe on May 30, 2017, 11:42:52 PM
Ridley first. It Blomkamp gives us the Alien film we all want it'll be a downer to go back to the weird stuff Scott is doing.

Good luck working out what that is.

PierreVW

Quote from: Gash on Jun 04, 2017, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Lonely Universe on May 30, 2017, 11:42:52 PM

Good luck working out what that is.

I agree.

I think ALIEN 5 it would work better with new characters.

Tom Hardy as The General of The Marines versus Aliens.

D. Compton Ambrose

What if it turned out in the film that it wasn't even Ripley at all, but the Hive superconsciousness infiltrating the mind of the new protagonist, and everything Ripley says to her turns out to lead her further down the path toward the protagonist becoming the antagonist, and becoming hijacked by the Hivemind by the films conclusion, after slowly and painfully being absorbed at the genetic level into the Viral Overlord of the Aliens (the self-aware biotechnology that rebelled against and enslaved the Engineers driving them to extinction). What if Newt never existed, and was a figment of Ripley's latent instability result from losing her daughter (Amanda Ripley) and outliving her by decades? What if the Hive (through the Acheron Queen) was manipulating Ripley the entire time to try to assimilate her?

You could take the motherhood themes from Aliens and warp them and spin them and twist them into something truly horrific and abominable. The plot could involve mind control through dreams, and the alien energy that streams into the mind of an unconscious host of the facehugger/chestburster, and the connection of the Hivemother/Ultramorph with the other Aliens and those that had been chosen as hosts during any given infestation, yet managed to escape. The idea of an Alien of All Aliens warping peoples' minds and driving them into submission from lightyears away has always seemed fittingly Lovecraftian and snugly at place in the Alien series, and the idea would be that this Ultramorph and the Xenomorphs are mere appendages of a metaphysical primordial entity that has lain dormant beyond the laws of time and space, manifesting itself via rampant self-aware biotechnology that had literally evolved to become a 'second nature' (that Giger theorized about in his visions) and a rogue pocket dimension unto itself slowly tearing apart the fabric of spacetime through the effect of the observer (host) on particles and quantum physics. The Engineers did not invent this technology, and they were not the first to stumble upon it. It is the immovable, unstoppable, eternal counterbalance to natural organic life, the physical embodiment of raw nature and an Alien God.

In this way, the Alien Hive would function as a nation-state unto itself. Armed Forces (Xenomorphs), a Head-of-State/C-in-C (Queen/Ultramorph), language (telepathy), and a culture revolving around their eternal and unconscious service toward the spreading of... not democracy... but the genetic code that will unite all life throughout time and space with the True Messiah and the One True Mind. This could be further highlighted by having human government structures (i.e. a President) to contrast it with, and it all circles around back to the original political themes of Alien and Aliens (the Company, Special Order 937, etc), having it culminate in one final battle between warring Genetic Nations. Not a battle of firepower though, but primarily a Cold War, fought through the fragility of sanity and the omnipotence of fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the strange. Not Man v. Nature. But Nature Unleashed. Nature Unchallenged. Perfection Through Chaos.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed