Interview with Dante Harper (writer) *spoilers*

Started by echobbase79, May 21, 2017, 05:54:11 PM

Author
Interview with Dante Harper (writer) *spoilers* (Read 20,767 times)

echobbase79

echobbase79

Corporal Hicks

So Harper worked on the film before Logan came on. Some really interesting stuff in there. The Crossing took place at the start in earlier drafts (I've also heard some of the earlier drafts started with David offing Shaw at the beginning). Thanks for sharing.

Russ840

Xenovirus !

Superintendent Andrews

My problem is with the film is Ridley is ignoring the original bad guy: the company. It started with the directors cut of Alien, imo. A little dialogue between Ridley and Dallas. She asks something to the effect of what do you know about Ash, and he responds saying he doesn't know, that the company switched out the regular science officer with this guy. I feel like Ridley wants to explore the origins of life, but is using the Alien franchise to satisfy it. I can't say too much more without spoiling, so I won't. But I think this movie was better in every respect than Prometheus.

echobbase79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2017, 09:25:21 PM
So Harper worked on the film before Logan came on. Some really interesting stuff in there. The Crossing took place at the start in earlier drafts (I've also heard some of the earlier drafts started with David offing Shaw at the beginning). Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I'm going to try and hunt down some drafts of the script. I'm sure some will popup soon. How long did it take for Spaihts drafts to show up online?

Imbrie

Wowzer. Interesting, indeed. Its a shame I'm more interested in these tidbits than what has unfolded onscreen.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

I'm hoping there's a ton of deleted footage.

I liked Covenant, but my main gripe with it is the same I had with Prometheus. It's cut and edited to death and I can feel that while watching it, especially the transition between the second and third act.

I wonder if it's Scott that's making the desicion to have the film move faster because he feels the need to pander to younger audiences or if it's TCF that's making him cut so much... I mean, they tried to get him to cut the bombing sequence and it sounds like he fought to keep it in.

Bad Replicant

I rather like where the bombing scene finally ended up, I really wouldn't trade the opening between David and Weyland for anything. Wonderfully played, had a nice quiet tension to it, liked the added scope it feels like it gives the story, and a great use of characters from the previous film in an introduction. The crossing, at least as it stands in the viral video form, doesn't feel like it would've made as good an opening overall. Personally I feel the reveal midway through as a memory through David's eyes works really well.

echobbase79

Quote from: Bad Replicant on May 21, 2017, 10:35:42 PM
I rather like where the bombing scene finally ended up, I really wouldn't trade the opening between David and Weyland for anything. Wonderfully played, had a nice quiet tension to it, liked the added scope it feels like it gives the story, and a great use of characters from the previous film in an introduction. The crossing, at least as it stands in the viral video form, doesn't feel like it would've made as good an opening overall. Personally I feel the reveal midway through as a memory through David's eyes works really well.

I still think the movie doesn't need the scene because it adds nothing to overall narrative, but where it's edited into the film is fine. It's a scene that ties up loose ends for the sake of tying up loose ends.

For that I guess it works.

Denton Smalls

What are the odds of getting to see some drafts like we did with Prometheus by both Spaihts and Lindelhack?

shawsbaby

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 21, 2017, 10:51:17 PM
What are the odds of getting to see some drafts like we did with Prometheus by both Spaihts and Lindelhack?

I'm sure we'll see a draft eventually.

I liked this interview and Harper seems like a smart guy, but I can't believe he thinks the "switcheroo" played well onscreen. I didn't mind how obvious it all was because the final scene was so dark and twisted, but the editing was poor in that scene. David shouldn't have reached for the knife. We should have just seen Walter bring the rock down on David. OR there should have been a moment where it seems Walter is changing his mind and joining David so we're just wondering if Walter has turned on them secretly.

KiramidHead

"Sure to be a classic"? Um, a comedy classic maybe. :laugh:

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2017, 09:25:21 PM

It actually doesn't surprise me when you consider the time frame. Harper was likely brought in sometime around 2014 based on his original spec that became Edge of Tomorrow. I've read that Ridley was originally going to film Covenant after Exodus, but delayed it to get the script in shape. Logan was probably brought in here, since he and Scott have a long history going back to the I Am Legend days in 97 or so.

locusta

I do hope, that at least one draft prior to the final movie script leaks at one point.

KiramidHead

Sadly, I've only found fake scripts so far.

marrerom

xenovirus... I like that. Its a much better name then just calling it the "Black goo".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed