The Creature and Special Effects of Alien: Covenant - More Behind-the-Scenes with Adam Savage

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 02:19:39 PM

Author
The Creature and Special Effects of Alien: Covenant - More Behind-the-Scenes with Adam Savage (Read 22,275 times)

C91_SJ

Quote from: locusta on May 17, 2017, 04:22:26 PM
Yes! Yes! and YES!

Can only triple agree to that. Beside David´s workshop abominations and facehugger and eggs, there was not a single practical creature shot in my observing eye. Maybe the inner mouth attack one was a prob effect. Well, well, at least the creature creatures had a good job and did great art. I deeply hope that we get more and closer look at these in the coming books and BluRay extra disc.

Spoiler
I wondered if the shot from the working machine the Alien tried to escape (when it's head stuck out from the shattered window) was a practical effect. To me it looked rather natural (even though CGI pimped).
[close]

markweatherill

I am not that bothered as a viewer if a particular effect is achieved using 'practical effects' or CGI. It just has to look convincing and not eject me from the movie. I couldn't tell which portions of this film had green screen or matte paintings; it just worked.

But CG blood never looks right! It certainly took away from the backburster scene for me.

zoidy

I've said it before - much of the criticism of things looking fake in cgi are about seeing something on screen we know in the back of our brain isn't actually there and isn't possible (or very unlikely) as a practical on set object. Even when it looks great.

irn

The most-CGI looking part I can recollect was when David was watching it moving around the ship on the security cameras and the xenomorph went down through a hatch on a ladder. It looked just very over-animated.

Bruin

OmarVel1692 Couldn't agree more. That shot of the Xenomorph slowly entering/walking into the hanger at the climax looked terrifying. Was great to see the practical suit in use there. It's just a shame it was a blink and you miss it moment. :( 

irn

Following on from my post above, I saw this clip today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2CvCHexdk&feature=youtu.be&t=7s

Does anyone remember if the CGI was fixed in the final film? The clipping of the back tubes through the floor in particular!

bobcunk

No they seemed to just go through the floor.

MrRipley

MrRipley

No it wasn't fixed.It was so quick I hardly noticed.

Hi. In the movie the tubes seemed to actually bend,not go through the floor. At least this is how i remembered it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MrRipley on May 19, 2017, 10:59:42 AM
Hi. In the movie the tubes seemed to actually bend,not go through the floor. At least this is how i remembered it.

Yeah, that seemed to be the case to me too.

cucuchu

Will be seeing movie a second time today, but on my first viewing I noticed quite a bit of practical xenos but with CGI layered on top. I will pay attention to which shots specifically but the only times I saw it as pure CGI was when it was running on all 4 limbs and climbing. Of course, the xenos did a lot of that...

Still, I thought everything looked great and the only time it really jumped out at me (as someone who looks for it, probably not the average viewer) was the neomorph birth when it is just starting to stand up (after it sheds its blood sack membrane junk, that part looked AWESOME), and when the Neo ran up the wall of the temple.

Gash

Quite a lot of practical shots on board the Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed