Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 396,550 times)

shawsbaby

I sincerely hope we get some legitimate explanation for why they ditched these amazing suits for the CGI. I was FINE with it, frankly, but now that I've seen the alternative, I'm disappointed.

DestinyCaptain

Honestly, this is baffling. You can certainly make the case that a few tweaks were needed to hide seams and in the case of the Xeno suit, make the lower torso not look like pants. But beyond tweaks, it makes no sense why they decided to THING 2011 this stuff. The light play with the Xeno suit on the set is marvelous. The wrinkled and withered look of the Neo makes me actually think it's not a crap design. Wow. How much did it cost to CG over this stuff?

T Dog

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 23, 2017, 09:57:03 AM
I sincerely hope we get some legitimate explanation for why they ditched these amazing suits for the CGI. I was FINE with it, frankly, but now that I've seen the alternative, I'm disappointed.
You answered your own question. You were "Fine" with it. The average cinema goer is "fine" with it.

Ultramorph

Because even if long-time fans are okay with it, the press and mainstream moviegoers would relentlessly mock the film if it had a guy in a suit, even if the effect was good.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 23, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

Because even if long-time fans are okay with it, the press and mainstream moviegoers would relentlessly mock the film if it had a guy in a suit, even if the effect was good.
Im not sure if they'd mock it. Their brain would process it differently. They might actually find it frightening.

But the reason for the CGI might be James Cameron getting in Ridley's ear. Anybody remember that interview from last year where he said "if I made the Alien Queen today Id make a full scale working prop so that the fx team could see how it worked in the light and then I'd get them to recreate it using CGI" hahahaa WTF!!!! That's utterly ridiculous but he said it! What a waste!

Here's the quote from Collider:
I'll admit there are times where I don't even fully understand his obsession with CGI, like when he talks about how he thinks he could do the Alien Queen better with modern CGI:

"If I could do the Alien Queen today with the techniques we used on AVATAR, she'd be spectacular. She'd be much more dynamic. Now, where I would struggle is to make her as texturally real. But that's all doable now. ... On the new AVATAR films, I'm actually going to shoot more real-world stuff. It may only be there as an example from which we then generate CG, or we may actually integrate some of those photographic elements. But I want more photography. ... Like, if I was doing the Alien Queen, I would want photography to show the exact way that the slime drools off the curl of a lip and caught the light in a certain type of very low-key lighting. I would want to see that so that I can talk to the CG artist and say, 'All right. Do that.' ... It always usually boils down to the lighting and the conception of the shot."

Corporal Hicks

DestinyCaptain

This was just posted over at the Stan Winston School of Character Arts Facebook page...

bobby brown

jeez, cool it with the Goblin shark references....

cliffhanger

arachnophilia

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 23, 2017, 11:35:47 AMBecause even if long-time fans are okay with it, the press and mainstream moviegoers would relentlessly mock the film if it had a guy in a suit, even if the effect was good.

strangely, i think a 40 year old movie with a guy in a suit holds up way better than a current movie with a bunch of CGI.

Necronomicon II

A guy in a suit sparsely lit; covered mostly in darkness and steam, let's not forget.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Necronomicon II on May 23, 2017, 01:26:14 PM
A guy in a suit sparsely lit; covered mostly in darkness and steam, let's not forget.

Also Big Chap has like 4 minutes of total screen time in the whole film. Add the rest of what you said and it makes the creature barely even visible until he falls out of the airlock, and the suit looked goofy during that sequence.

That said, I'm not really a fan of the design for the alien in AC. That rig a few posts up is pretty sweet looking though.

prime326

This makes me so unbelievably angry. The neomorph I get with the way it moved, but you could have had a mix of CGI and practical. The xeno suit is beautiful. Seeing him run and jump...yeah that has to be CGI, but the close ups or sneaking around a corridor, that suit would have been boss. The talent and efforts spent on these practical effects plus the cost to CGI them over is just dumbfounded. Could have saved a bit more on the production budget leaving less to recoup on that not so great opening weeekend

Corporal Hicks

Some more sexy artwork from Wayne -
Spoiler
[close]

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nyVYO

bobby brown

bobby brown

About the new Xenomorph.
It's a shit design I have to admit. There are things I like about it, The head & the hands but that's about it.
I think even alien resurrection executed their creature effects way better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed