PROMETHEUS: Workprint Edition 2017

Started by GrimmVision, May 16, 2017, 09:06:24 AM

Author
PROMETHEUS: Workprint Edition 2017 (Read 69,685 times)

jimmydelaroja

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on May 16, 2017, 09:06:24 AM
WATCH NOW!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIewBtyckjtOS1KOGd5YVlEajA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for checking this out, I hope all of you enjoy! Please, let me know what you think!

Support the artists! BUY PROMETHEUS!

https://www.amazon.com/Prometheus-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-Copy/dp/B0085Z8F4A
https://itunes.apple.com/movie/prometheus/id547496947

Hello, all!

I've recently decided to throw Prometheus into the Final Cut app with many of it's Blu-Ray deleted scenes. I did not take any scene out of this edit that are in the original theatrical film, because I already enjoy mostly everything in the film. I kept out deleted scenes that looked incomplete or simply felt too rough to be incorporated into a coherent and fully watchable version. I sadly don't have the ability to make them look complete -  I would've loved to have the back and forth between David and Vickers as he's leaving the Juggernaut and she's headed down to the cargo bay to prevent Holloway from coming on board, but it's just too rough of a cut.

I feel some of these key scenes make the movie more enjoyable as they elaborate upon some of the character's motives, the choices they make, as well as help us understand how certain characters come to the conclusions they seem to make so easily in the theatrical cut.

At around 2 hours and 40 minutes, it has:

• The extended sacrificial scene with the Elder Engineers
• The full length Weyland TED Talk
• Shaw's transmission to Weyland - New fully rendered scene that shows Weyland's research facility on Mars
• David's extended intro as he watches Lawrence of Arabia
• Janek's Christmas talk
• Extended Milburn and Fifield dialogue
• Janek sending probes from the Prometheus out into the atmosphere as they enter the storm
• Milburn finding the flatworm
• Shaw's speech of how the Earth came to be after David saves her
• Milburn and Fifield finding the Hammerpede skin
• Longer dialogue between Shaw and Holloway after he sees something in his eye while looking in the mirror
• Alternate CGI Fifield attack sequence
• Janek's and Vickers' conversation about "pushing the button"
• Shaw praying in the mirror
• Extended dialogue between Vickers and Weyland, but edited so that it's not as choppy as the full deleted scene
• Weyland's speech for the Last Engineer, but I kept the Engineer quiet - he's creepier that way
• Extended scene where the Engineer plays with the chandelier, finds Shaw behind the counter, and she uses the axe on the Engineer before unleashing the Trilobite - This scene originally didn't match up with the theatrical version because half the Engineer's face is burned in the theatrical version, but not in the deleted scene. This is rectified and the Engineer's face is no longer burned at any part of this scene thanks to CGI enhancements
• Extended dialogue between Shaw and David as she goes back to get David in the Juggernaut - this is the "sweeter" version of the scene, not the alternate cut where Shaw says "And you're a f**king robot."
• The "Intro to Mankind" transmission that's broadcasted for the Engineers plays after the credits
• The David 8 viral video plays after the "Intro to Mankind" transmission video

I kept the "sweeter" version of Shaw talking to Holloway after the Engineers head explodes because I love the twisted realization that Shaw is supposed to be infertile, but goes through a traumatic experience involving having an Alien baby inside of her.

Not all credit on this goes to me, as there was another fan edit of Prometheus I cut a few things from, including the hard work that was put into rendering the scene where Weyland watches Shaw's transmission in his research facility on Mars, and the editing on the Engineer's face during the melee sequence with Shaw. I refined some of the poorly edited cuts and transitions, making it an overall much more streamlined re-envisioning. Credit for those newly enhanced scenes, I believe goes to James Rivers. His workprint edition is the one I'm working off of. He created a trailer for his version which can be viewed below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_a-OLdWXs

Hi CoalescedChaos, I'm the author of the edit and I'm flattered you liked it to such extent that you invested time in it, and what is more important, to share it!! :)

Actually I made the edit about 3 years ago but it wasn't very popular then, and some of the effects wasn't as polished as now. But with the anouncement of the upcomig sequel I decided give it a try once more. Changed some things in the video and audio side of things and completed the subtitles. And if you ever asked yourself, the audio track is Dolby Digital with 5.1 channels @ 640 kbps.

The size of the full movie is originally about 22 GBytes but I rendered to only 2 GB so most people could download it without any trouble.

I'd like to release it as a file one can burn to a BD25 and watch it as a normal blu ray with menus, hope when the Blu ray for Covenant comes out.

Anyway stay tuned to my channel in Youtube for more updates. ;)

Cheers.

P:S I've already watched Covenant and I liked it a lot. And With the promotional videos that got out before the premiere, I can think of a new edit for Covenant, and even a new ending for Prometheus.

Valaquen

The opening scene to Covenant I can already see people putting at the beginning of Prometheus, where it makes more sense.

DorkiDori

subbed, wanna watch this when i get home!

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Watched it, and I really liked it! I watched a somewhat similar fan-edit a bunch of years ago, with the TED talk and all, but I must say that this one felt really seamless and had a superior pace both to the original cut and other fan-edits. At least to me.

The added scenes with Vickers and Janek adds a lot of debt to their characters - she becomes less of a stereotypical ice queen and he feels less like this rugged yet carefree charming dude. My only question mark here is about why the Yutani corporation hacked(?) Shaw interview was added? I mean, as a fan I get it as it is interesting to see hints to how Weyland and Yutani merged and that they were once rivals or whatever, but it still fell a little out of place. It also added yet another jump scene with explanatory text, which gets kind of interruptive (Rogue One had a similar problem). Even so, job well done! Prefer this over the original. 

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 18, 2017, 06:56:31 PM
Watched it, and I really liked it! I watched a somewhat similar fan-edit a bunch of years ago, with the TED talk and all, but I must say that this one felt really seamless and had a superior pace both to the original cut and other fan-edits. At least to me.

The added scenes with Vickers and Janek adds a lot of debt to their characters - she becomes less of a stereotypical ice queen and feels less like this carefree char my dude. My only question mark here is why the Yutani hacked(?) Shaw interview was added? I mean, as a fan I get it as it is interesting to see hints to how Weyland and Yutani merged and that they were once rivals or whatever, but it still fell a little out of place. It also added yet another jump scene with explanatory text, which gets kind of interruptive (Rogue One had a similar problem). Even so, job well done! Prefer this over the original.

Seamless was my goal for this edit!

I would not have added the "Quiet Eye" viral video if it were not for the hard work that was put into that scene. I wanted to showcase what James did - it's beautiful, so I kept it in.

And in the end, it does add tons more depth to Shaw's character, I think, and why she's so driven to go on the mission in the first place.

But I can see how four introductory scenes can be a tad jarring.

I always took the Yutani presence in the viral video as Weyland using Yutani brand software to analyze Shaw's transmission, to see if she could be trusted, rather than watching it as Yutani hacked Weyland's personal files.

Quote from: jimmydelaroja on May 18, 2017, 03:52:44 PM
Hi CoalescedChaos, I'm the author of the edit and I'm flattered you liked it to such extent that you invested time in it, and what is more important, to share it!! :)

Actually I made the edit about 3 years ago but it wasn't very popular then, and some of the effects wasn't as polished as now. But with the anouncement of the upcomig sequel I decided give it a try once more. Changed some things in the video and audio side of things and completed the subtitles. And if you ever asked yourself, the audio track is Dolby Digital with 5.1 channels @ 640 kbps.

The size of the full movie is originally about 22 GBytes but I rendered to only 2 GB so most people could download it without any trouble.

I'd like to release it as a file one can burn to a BD25 and watch it as a normal blu ray with menus, hope when the Blu ray for Covenant comes out.

Anyway stay tuned to my channel in Youtube for more updates. ;)

Cheers.

P:S I've already watched Covenant and I liked it a lot. And With the promotional videos that got out before the premiere, I can think of a new edit for Covenant, and even a new ending for Prometheus.

Oh, wow! I had a feeling you'd be lurking on the forums. A person who isn't a fan wouldn't put that much effort into making a workprint of Prometheus. Glad you could join us on the boards, sir!

I thank you very much, James. The new scenes in your workprint looked absolutely gorgeous and were really the main reason I gave this an edit. I'm glad I could help push it along down the river so other people could see your work!

I added both our names to the end of the credits, by the way ;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on May 18, 2017, 07:10:40 PM
Seamless was my goal for this edit!

Well, you achieved that goal and then some!

QuoteI would not have added the "Quiet Eye" viral video if it were not for the hard work that was put into that scene. I wanted to showcase what James did - it's beautiful, so I kept it in.

And in the end, it does add tons more depth to Shaw's character, I think, and why she's so driven to go on the mission in the first place.

But I can see how four introductory scenes can be a tad jarring.

That scene is indeed very well done and all, but as you said, it is a little bit jarring with four introductory scenes in a row.

QuoteI always took the Yutani presence in the viral video as Weyland using Yutani brand software to analyze Shaw's transmission, to see if she could be trusted, rather than watching it as Yutani hacked Weyland's personal files.

Yeah, I always had a hard time deciding what they were going for there. Is it, like you said, just Weyland using Yutani software _or_ is it cyber espionage handed out by Yutani? To me at least it is a little confusing.

Raziel666

So what are the differences between CoalescedChaos' and jimmydelaroja's edits?

I've collected various edits of the movie, but the one with 5.1 audio and at full 1080p quality (22GB) seems like a keeper! Hoping for a release of that one!

CoalescedChaos thank you for your efforts!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

SpeedyMaxx

So wait, how big is this file if I were to DL it?

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 19, 2017, 01:19:41 AM

Yeah, you can download it. It's 17 GB though!

SpeedyMaxx

Eeeesh.

GrimmVision

Quote from: Raziel666 on May 18, 2017, 09:29:17 PM
So what are the differences between CoalescedChaos' and jimmydelaroja's edits?

I've collected various edits of the movie, but the one with 5.1 audio and at full 1080p quality (22GB) seems like a keeper! Hoping for a release of that one!

CoalescedChaos thank you for your efforts!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I essentially revised James' cut. There were a lot of small scenes deleted from Prometheus that were never edited so they matched the completed scenes. These small scenes don't change the larger picture, though. My decision to take a lot of these small bits out of James' version is because they were discolored, sounded odd, and felt chopped together - no fault to James of course. That's just the way the editors of the film left those scenes. I assume it was decided very early on in post they wouldn't be used.

James added them to his edit just to have them because it's a "workprint edition". I took them out because they took me out of the experience of what I was watching. I did, however keep all the finished-looking deleted scenes in my cut. Those scenes do change the larger picture and add tons of character to seemingly cardboard cutout characters.

The largest differences are that I cut any of the scenes of the Engineers speaking - it makes them more mysterious.

I switched the scene between Shaw and Holloway after the Engineer's head explodes. Mine has the sweeter alternate take where we find out that Shaw is infertile and cannot have children. James' version has the alternate take where Holloway is pretty much a dick to Shaw and it results in her giving him a good couple slaps.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 19, 2017, 01:19:41 AM

I can, if you'd like, upload another one to Google Drive that's smaller, so you can download it. I can PM you when it's done if you want.

SpeedyMaxx

I'll watch it regardless. I wouldn't want you to go to too much trouble.

jimmydelaroja

jimmydelaroja

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on May 16, 2017, 09:06:24 AM
• The "Intro to Mankind" transmission that's broadcasted for the Engineers plays after the credits
• The David 8 viral video plays after the "Intro to Mankind" transmission video

I forgot to tell you I did also upconverted the audio from the virals from stereo to Dolby 5.1, I'll see if I can upload these 2 virals for you as I see you liked them.

Quote from: CoalescedChaos on May 18, 2017, 07:10:40 PM
I added both our names to the end of the credits, by the way ;)

Yeah. I noticed.  Thank you. ;D

By the way, I was thinking about the time I was working in the edit a while back and I had the idea to recreate the original sequence where Weyland is present during the Fifield Attack, except that there wasn't enough material to begin with beyond some brief scenes in the trailers. I'd like to see how well plays that sequence. May be one day Ridley or someone at 20th century fox allows that to happen.

Elmazalman

Excellent fan edit!

Making this as viewer-friendly as possible, by editing out lesser quality footage to transform this into an extended version - rather than a workprint was the right choice, imo.

Thanks to all involved for making this happen.

jimmydelaroja

jimmydelaroja

Quote from: jimmydelaroja on May 19, 2017, 05:15:18 AM

I forgot to tell you I did also upconverted the audio from the virals from stereo to Dolby 5.1, I'll see if I can upload these 2 virals for you as I see you liked them.

I´ve just seen your version and it is correct , flows very nicely and I just realised you used the original release of the edit, it was already 5.1, size about 8.43 GB in 2 mkv files...

Well, this all is a coincidence, a nice one because a month ago, I just uploaded a revised and more condensed in size version of the edit that it turns out to be named as... "Prometheus Workprint Edition Ver 2017". I´ts just 2 GB and it comes with subtitles in english and spanish, only comes in stereo and this time I left out all the virals at the end of the movie.

In this version tried to correct some problems with the color I noticed after the upload, I took out the scene between Shaw and Holloway after the briefing aboard the Prometheus because looked awkward, little tweaking in the audio as well and made a little work in the FX, and i think it's worth to watch it again. If anyone wants a link just PM me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed