Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,435 times)

Scorpio

Resurrection only made twice it's budget, that's why it was rebooted.

If you look at it from an accounting perspective, Alien made 10X it's budget, Aliens made 7X it's budget.  Then Alien 3 makes only 3X it's budget.  Diminishing returns had set in by this point.  But AVP, AVPR and Prometheus all made back 3X their budget.  So, if you were an investor, you'd expect to make 3 dollars for every 1 dollar spent.

Merchandising is a whole different deal.

Ingwar

Box office as of June 25:

Domestic:         $73,328,461
Foreign:          $154,198,291

Worldwide:      $227,526,752   

0321recon

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 25, 2017, 05:33:07 PM
Box office as of June 25:

Domestic:         $73,328,461
Foreign:          $154,198,291

Worldwide:      $227,526,752

I see those numbers are from Box Office mojo, however if you check for China it hasn't been update since 6/18/17 since it has it at 29 million.

However if you check China's box office as of Today

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

its 41 million.

bb-15

Quote from: fiveways on Jun 25, 2017, 02:42:13 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on Jun 24, 2017, 06:23:41 AM
- I'd just like to add a recent name who has had an influence on the prequel designs, Jon Spaihts.
Spaihts in his scripts came up with the classic Greek/Roman sculpture look of the Engineers. And that opened up the design range of the Engineer's buildings / art to include classic ancient earth motifs (giant head sculptures/statues, Renaissance style ceiling painting).   

"Engineers" was a f**king awful script.  his other films have all been terrible.  passengers was a f**king nightmare.

It's fine if you believe that Spaihts is a bad writer.
But a "bad" writer can come up with a new idea.

Or did Ridley suggest all those idea and Spaiht just worked them into the script?   

I give Spaihts zero credit...

I can't find evidence that Ridley came up with the original idea of the Engineer's look and their classic earth style architecture as seen in "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
But Spaihts claims that he thought of the Engineers as looking human and that they helped develop ancient architecture on earth. 

QuoteGiven the age of the wreck as it's characterized in the first Alien movie, my first thought was that these ancient giants must have been the von Daniken‑style aliens who some believe helped to shape ancient civilizations, and raise our early monuments, and, perhaps, even to shape the development of the species itself.
I imagined them as the Engineers who fomented sentient life on earth and then schooled that life into their own image, both cognitively and physically. I suppose the closing idea was that that elephantine alien face of the space jockey was merely a mask. Underneath it, to our astonishment, it would be revealed that they looked like us. Or, perhaps more accurately, that we looked like them.
https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/interview-part-1-jon-spaihts-5cf713ab14c4

* Spaihts claims that he came up with these ideas.
And I can't find anything where Ridley contradicts that.

* Going back to the design style of the Alien prequels which includes; the shrine/head room, the Engineer city, with their ancient earth designs.
And the Engineers looking human, (as they made humanity in their own image).
This design language seems to come from Spaihts' scripts/proposals. 

;)

PierreVW

Quote from: bb-15 on Jun 25, 2017, 07:20:05 PM
- I'd just like to add a recent name who has had an influence on the prequel designs, Jon Spaihts.
Spaihts in his scripts came up with the classic Greek/Roman sculpture look of the Engineers. And that opened up the design range of the Engineer's buildings / art to include classic ancient earth motifs (giant head sculptures/statues, Renaissance style ceiling painting).   

"Engineers" was a f**king awful script.  his other films have all been terrible.  passengers was a f**king nightmare.

Or did Ridley suggest all those idea and Spaiht just worked them into the script?   

I can't find evidence that Ridley came up with the original idea of the Engineer's look and their classic earth style architecture as seen in "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
But Spaihts claims that he thought of the Engineers as looking human and that they helped develop ancient architecture on earth. 

QuoteGiven the age of the wreck as it's characterized in the first Alien movie, my first thought was that these ancient giants must have been the von Daniken‑style aliens who some believe helped to shape ancient civilizations, and raise our early monuments, and, perhaps, even to shape the development of the species itself.
I imagined them as the Engineers who fomented sentient life on earth and then schooled that life into their own image, both cognitively and physically. I suppose the closing idea was that that elephantine alien face of the space jockey was merely a mask. Underneath it, to our astonishment, it would be revealed that they looked like us. Or, perhaps more accurately, that we looked like them.

* Going back to the design style of the Alien prequels which includes; the shrine/head room, the Engineer city, with their ancient earth designs.

;)

Ridley Scott said in interviews that he believes that Aliens like the Enginners created us. It's his theory but he believes in them.

Ridley Scott doesn't believe in Gods. He believes in All Powerful Aliens. So, I suppose PROMETHEUS were created around his beliefs/ideas.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 25, 2017, 08:40:21 PM

;)

Ridley Scott said in interviews that he believes that Aliens like the Enginners created us. It's his theory but he believes in them.

Ridley Scott doesn't believe in Gods. He believes in All Powerful Aliens. So, I suppose PROMETHEUS were created around his beliefs/ideas.

Imo it is a matter of when ideas were proposed and who came up with those ideas at what time.
- The earliest press interviews by Ridley about "Prometheus" come from a few months before the film was released. These interviews were in early 2012 or late 2011.
- But Spaihts made his pitch to Fox and Scott in 2009. That would be when Spaihts originated the ideas about the Engineers which were new to the franchise and then he began writing his scripts.
- I cannot find an interview/commentary by Scott before 2009 where he states that the Space Jockey was an Engineer who looked human and that these Engineers helped create life on earth, humanity and ancient earth culture.

Also, notice what Spaihts says in the interview quote that I posted.
"my first thought"

Jon Spaihts has taken ownership of these ideas and I can't find where Ridley contradicts this claim by Spaihts.

;)

PierreVW

Quote from: bb-15 on Jun 26, 2017, 04:56:02 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 25, 2017, 08:40:21 PM

;)

Imo it is a matter of when ideas were proposed and who came up with those ideas at what time.
- The earliest press interviews by Ridley about "Prometheus" come from a few months before the film was released. These interviews were in early 2012 or late 2011.
- But Spaihts made his pitch to Fox and Scott in 2009. That would be when Spaihts originated the ideas about the Engineers which were new to the franchise and then he began writing his scripts.
- I cannot find an interview/commentary by Scott before 2009 where he states that the Space Jockey was an Engineer who looked human and that these Engineers helped create life on earth, humanity and ancient earth culture.

;)

I remembered an old interview where Ridley Scott talked about Von Danniken and his theories.

Ridley Scott was interested in Von Danniken and his theories since a long, very long time ago.

dkwookie

dkwookie

I hate to say I told you so but it did tell the so called experts about 40 pages back this film is not a flop until the fat lady sings (Chinese box office).
It's time to call it, the film is not a flop. It's not a hit and I had any money to invest in a sequel I wouldn't do it. If I was an investor with Fox I would say put my money into the Cartel film Ridley has planned but don't put it into another Alien film as it's ever decreasing returns based on the last two films.
Besides as a Ridley Scott fan I want to see him do something original for him. I want to see Cartel channeling Tony Scott. Ridley told NZ Stuff h has 10 films left in him (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/92454786/Alien-Covenant-Milford-Sounds-big-moment-in-the-Hollywood-spotlight) and I would rather he go out in a blaze of glory making something that can live up to Gladiator or Kingdom Of Heaven Directors Cut than an even lower budget Alien film

Page 39 of thread:
"It can't be called a flop until all the receipts are in. Resident Evil The Final Chapter was deemed a flop but then opened to 90+ million weekend in China going on to make 160 million there. That's now the biggest film of the series and so big they are doing an immediate reboot.

I don't for one second preditct AC will do that in China but then I never would have said RE TFC would make 90 mil opening.

You never know, so it's a little early to pronounce it as a flop. Wait until it's hit the full set of markets then call it a flop"

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .if Vin Diesel could finance the last Riddick movie for 38 mil. .then i think Ridley can do a sequel to covenant for 70 - 80 mil. .keep it on the covenant and kill david in the opening scene. .or do whatever it takes. .i just want that darn sequel. .i guess 250 is still in reach with japan coming up. .it will probably make at least another 5 - 10 mil before the end of it's china run. .prom made over 20 mil in japan. .so me i still hope. .lol

. .i don'r care if he does the cartel. .whatever. .their some other movie his doing as well. .as long as we get a sequel. .and if he only acts as producer. .then so be it. .better than no sequel at all. .

dkwookie

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 26, 2017, 05:59:47 AM
. .if Vin Diesel could finance the last Riddick movie for 38 mil. .then i think Ridley can do a sequel to covenant for 70 - 80 mil. .keep it on the covenant and kill david in the opening scene. .or do whatever it takes. .i just want that darn sequel. .i guess 250 is still in reach with japan coming up. .it will probably make at least another 5 - 10 mil before the end of it's china run. .prom made over 20 mil in japan. .so me i still hope. .lol

. .i don'r care if he does the cartel. .whatever. .their some other movie his doing as well. .as long as we get a sequel. .and if he only acts as producer. .then so be it. .better than no sequel at all. .

I think 250 is where it's going to end up, which given the budget is not bad. If I were Ridley I would produce the next one with a smaller budget and an up and coming horror director. Maybe the guy who made Lights Out. Just get it back to the horror roots again with an A list B movie

juxtapose

The problem with A-list stars is that they so darn expensive. .i like Fassbender but at the same time he might be a bit pricey. .waterston and mcbride can't be that expensive. .the later usually only apear in fairly low budget comedy fair and waterstan is'nt that well known yet. .but they might end up as alien incubators. .so in that case. .get a fresh faced newbie actress a try. .

PierreVW

Quote from: Dkwookie on Jun 26, 2017, 05:14:55 AM
I hate to say I told you so but it did tell the so called experts about 40 pages back this film is not a flop until the fat lady sings (Chinese box office).
It's time to call it, the film is not a flop. It's not a hit and I had any money to invest in a sequel I wouldn't do it. If I was an investor with Fox I would say put my money into the Cartel film Ridley has planned but don't put it into another Alien film as it's ever decreasing returns based on the last two films.
Besides as a Ridley Scott fan I want to see him do something original for him. I want to see Cartel channeling Tony Scott. Ridley told NZ Stuff h has 10 films left in him (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/92454786/Alien-Covenant-Milford-Sounds-big-moment-in-the-Hollywood-spotlight) and I would rather he go out in a blaze of glory making something that can live up to Gladiator or Kingdom Of Heaven Directors Cut than an even lower budget Alien film

Page 39 of thread:
"It can't be called a flop until all the receipts are in. Resident Evil The Final Chapter was deemed a flop but then opened to 90+ million weekend in China going on to make 160 million there. That's now the biggest film of the series and so big they are doing an immediate reboot.

I don't for one second preditct AC will do that in China but then I never would have said RE TFC would make 90 mil opening.

You never know, so it's a little early to pronounce it as a flop. Wait until it's hit the full set of markets then call it a flop"

I agree 100%.

Actually, I'm more excited for 3 other Ridley Scott options: BATTLE OF BRITAIN, WRAITHS OF THE BROKEN LAND and THE CARTEL.

Evanus

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 26, 2017, 10:14:35 AM
The problem with A-list stars is that they so darn expensive. .i like Fassbender but at the same time he might be a bit pricey. .waterston and mcbride can't be that expensive. .the later usually only apear in fairly low budget comedy fair and waterstan is'nt that well known yet. .but they might end up as alien incubators. .so in that case. .get a fresh faced newbie actress a try. .
Actually, I read somewhere that Fassbender doesn't ask that much for his roles.

Kane's other son

Fassbender is acclaimed but not A-list. He can't open a movie. Theron is A-list and was added to Prometheus to make it more appealing to mainstream audiences.

bb-15

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 26, 2017, 05:04:38 AM
I remembered an old interview where Ridley Scott talked about Von Danniken and his theories.

Ridley Scott was interested in Von Danniken and his theories since a long, very long time ago.

I did a Google search for Von Daniken and his theories Ridley Scott.

The earliest link I could find with this search was a Hollywood Reporter article from June 28, 2011 about a "Prometheus" press event at CineEurope.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-michael-fassbender-noomi-206321

From the article;

QuoteThe British director said the film's storyline, and script ... was partially inspired by the writings of legendary Swiss sci-fi writer Eric van Daniken.

But 2011 is after 2009.
In 2009 Spaihts made his pitch for the "Alien" prequel.

Spaihts has said as I've posted;

Quotemy first thought was that these ancient giants must have been the von Daniken‑style aliens who some believe helped to shape ancient civilizations, and raise our early monuments, and, perhaps, even to shape the development of the species itself.

Again, Spaihts made his pitch to Fox and Scott in 2009.
Spaihts' first idea was to tie the Space Jockey with Von Daniken's concepts.

Spaihts has claimed that he came up with connecting these ideas from Von Daniken and the Engineers.
Ridley AFAIK has not contracted that.

* Back to the design language of "Prometheus". It includes human looking space aliens and classic architecture / motifs from ancient times.
The origin of putting those design concepts into "Prometheus" it seems comes from the ideas/scripts from Spaihts.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed