Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,290 times)

John73

dkwookie

dkwookie

Phew and wow :)
Great goddamn news!!

Some more info:

With offshore rollout just beginning on Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant, $42M worth of moviegoers ran to see the Xenomorphs in action in 34 markets this frame. Fox unleashed the Prometheus sequel to No. 1s in 19, ahead of the May 19 domestic bow, and came up with the No. 2 studio movie at the international box office.

Korea leads offshore play at $7.2M, followed by the UK ($6.4M), France ($4.5M), Australia ($3.1M) and Mexico ($2.5M). Alien: Covenant's opening weekend is 4% bigger than Mad Max: Fury Road for the same bucket of markets and at current exchange rates.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/alien-covenant-king-arthur-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-aamir-khan-dangal-china-international-box-office-weekend-1202093146/

SuicideDoors

No 3D as well remember which inflated Prometheus' haul.

dkwookie

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 14, 2017, 05:58:18 PM
No 3D as well remember which inflated Prometheus' haul.

Plus the £ has tanked after Brexit since Prometheus and Fury Road. That UK figure would be about 20% higher pre last summer

Spidey3121

The only concerning thing is that it dropped vs. Prometheus in most markets. I see we've already covered the "no 3D" defense, which is admittedly a potential cause for decreased revenue.

Buckmenstaf

Buckmenstaf

4 days... I'm in Russia... How do I wait just 4 more days...:D
Well, I guess, the same way I've been waiting since 2012:)

Randomizer

I think Covenant would've been better off with using 3D instead of Prometheus but then again, it's no deal-breaker.

juxtapose

. .prometheus was also front loaded and i am thinking and  hoping that word of mouth will be better with covenant

XENOMORPHOSIS

Is it likely this movie will under perform and pose as worrying for the studio where they'll reconsider whether or not to green light a sequel?

dkwookie

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on May 14, 2017, 06:29:37 PM
Is it likely this movie will under perform and pose as worrying for the studio where they'll reconsider whether or not to green light a sequel?

I think it will be fine. That's a very good opening all things considered. The only sure bet for box office success these days is comic book films so for an R rated sci fi its a great opening.

juxtapose

. .it's got stiffer competition than prometheus and also bear in mind a harder R than prometheus. .tho i am not quite certain on the latter. .

John73

Just to clarify a few things on the front page article, I believe the figure linked to at box office pro is a projection for the North American release weekend, not the international projection for this weekend.  Also, I think Prometheus opened to 51 million in North America, I don't think that was its opening gross for the international market.

cucuchu

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on May 14, 2017, 06:29:37 PM

I do not know at what point 20th Century Fox does not consider this a flop but box office mojo predicted a 35 million $$ domestic opening weekend...less than Prometheus at around 51 million $$. They said it could be higher with good reviews and word of mouth. So yeah, there are good reviews, but some average and bad ones too. I hope it does well because I do not want another 15 years to wait for another Alien movie.

Darkness

Kinda disappointed that the opening takings have dropped so significantly from Prometheus' in Western countries. There's been loads of advertising for it here - I've seen loads of billboards and on the sides of buses in the last two weeks.

And where'd you get that picture on the news post from, Hicks? Haven't seen it before.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Darkness on May 14, 2017, 06:41:58 PM
Kinda disappointed that the opening takings have dropped so significantly from Prometheus' in Western countries. There's been loads of advertising for it here - I've seen loads of billboards and on the sides of buses in the last two weeks.

And where'd you get that picture on the news post from, Hicks? Haven't seen it before.

I think Western countries quite liked Prometheus...it's just Murica that kept griping about it. Nudge nudge wink wink.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed