[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films.

Started by bacchus, May 13, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Author
[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films. (Read 90,914 times)

D88M

They were never canon, they never will be.

The Old One

The Old One

They're Canon to each other.
The Predator & AVP 2010.

El Pistolero

Whatever they say. We also have to see it from the perspective from a normal moviewatcher person who enjoys the movies without being geeks like us. For them they don't know what the studio says or the movie makers. They see the movie and for them it is a normal continuation of a franchise. We see in Predator the alien scull in the trophy room, we got all the games and comics and we got the movies. Whatever Ridley is saying, it depends on the person who is watching the movie and who is deciding on his own what is canon and what is not. And I don't care much what Ridley is talking, because in my eyes he is not the boss over the franchise.

Another thing is that Fox seems to try hard to build a bigger universe with all that extender material. I think Fox gives also a shit what Ridley says.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: D88M on Jan 26, 2019, 05:55:19 PM
They were never canon, they never will be.

Ugh. This again. People just trying to rewrite reality. AVP was written as a prequel to Alien and sequel to Predator. It was indeed once canon, but had since been retconned out of Alien canon.

Oasis Nadrama

Pistolero> I agree. There's not a single canon, there are actually multiple ones, as many canons as there are spectators.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Cauchemar on Jan 28, 2019, 08:41:59 PM
Pistolero> I agree. There's not a single canon, there are actually multiple ones, as many canons as there are spectators.
I like your style.

Gash

I find the two franchises so wildly different in tone and execution. I think the only reason the comics blended them really has far more to do with the Cameron / Schwarzenegger affiliations that create that sense of a mash-up of mid 80's styles. I never could relate to the idea at all.

El Pistolero

I think everyone can choose his own order he wants to watch the movies. For me it will be always

Predator 1-3
AvP 1+2
Alien 1-3

The rest is in my opinion additional fan fiction. I don't want to see a human being in that Pilot's chair in Alien.

And another thing is in Covenant is not one scene that says David created the alien by himself. For me it was always something that where already in the DNA information of the black goo. I think David is not able to create anything and this is his most obvious conflict point.

LastSonofKrypton

For me, I just don't watch the AvP movies, Resurrection or Covenant.  I get nothing from them.  Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 are a perfect trilogy in my mind.  I can watch Prometheus once in a while as a standalone Sci Fi/Horror movie.  As for the Predator franchise, Predator is a masterpiece, Predator 2 is a worthy sequel and Predators is a fun movie. 

Spoiler
I still haven't watched The Predator yet
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: Gash on Mar 07, 2019, 02:07:35 AM
I find the two franchises so wildly different in tone and execution. I think the only reason the comics blended them really has far more to do with the Cameron / Schwarzenegger affiliations that create that sense of a mash-up of mid 80's styles. I never could relate to the idea at all.
For me that's part of the appeal, finding a way to play to the strengths of two very different entities and have an interesting story as the result.

Predwars24

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Jan 28, 2019, 08:41:59 PM

Sounds similar to Godzilla but with the different series it has.
Showa
Heisei
Millennium
Legendary's Monster Verse
Anime Trilogy

All of these have their own continuity but Millennium's movies most of them ignore each other but Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS are in the same timeline.

You'd think though with franchises like Alien and Predator and in a time with the MCU they'd try to be a little more consistent only changing the timeline depending on most fans preferences like what Terminator is about to do and what X-Men did do with Days of Future past completely wiping Origins and the other X-Men movies besides First Class. You'd also think with the weird endings of The Predator that were cut that it'd show that Fox is still interested in them having a shared universe, so allowing Ridley all this freedom to change up the timeline like he did in Alien Covenant is strange given that was only a year prior to the release of The Predator. More questions than answers is pretty much how it is for me though.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, I think now with the Disney purchase that's a real possibility. And because of conflicting material outside the film Alien Anthology, I always considered much of the rest as an alternate continuity.

SM

QuoteYou'd think though with franchises like Alien and Predator and in a time with the MCU they'd try to be a little more consistent only changing the timeline depending on most fans preferences

Is not ignoring AvP and AvPR consistent with most fans preferences?

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Predwars24 on Mar 10, 2019, 10:27:36 PM
Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Jan 28, 2019, 08:41:59 PM

Sounds similar to Godzilla but with the different series it has.
Showa
Heisei
Millennium
Legendary's Monster Verse
Anime Trilogy

All of these have their own continuity but Millennium's movies most of them ignore each other but Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS are in the same timeline.

You'd think though with franchises like Alien and Predator and in a time with the MCU they'd try to be a little more consistent only changing the timeline depending on most fans preferences like what Terminator is about to do and what X-Men did do with Days of Future past completely wiping Origins and the other X-Men movies besides First Class. You'd also think with the weird endings of The Predator that were cut that it'd show that Fox is still interested in them having a shared universe, so allowing Ridley all this freedom to change up the timeline like he did in Alien Covenant is strange given that was only a year prior to the release of The Predator. More questions than answers is pretty much how it is for me though.

The Predator franchise actually acknowledges the crossover or at the very least the first movie. The skull in Predator 2 and the spear from AVP in The Predator contradicts eventa in Covenant which says the Alien is recent.

Dingbat

The basis for my canon is that all films are canon, if something doesn't add up I just imagine random(false) ways that it sort of makes sense(Even though it doesn't)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed