Covenant sequel will begin shooting withing 14 months

Started by Ingwar, May 09, 2017, 09:11:37 PM

Author
Covenant sequel will begin shooting withing 14 months (Read 22,017 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote"We're writing [a sequel] now, as we speak. I'll be filming that within 14 months," Scott told the outlet. Now, production schedules shift all the time, and that's not quite an official studio confirmation, but it is the second time the director has recently suggested he's planning to get back in the Alien saddle by next year.

Scott also spoke a bit more about Neill Blomkamp's scrapped Alien sequel, which he seems to suggest was planned to be titled Awakening. However, Scott previously suggested that Awakening was the title of a film that would fit along with Prometheus and Covenant, so that remains to be seen. Awakening certainly seems to fit in with the themes Scott is exploring in his prequel films, but either way, that's probably a working title.

"They wanted to do Alien, er, Awakening – Neill Blomkamp... I said fine. I was going to be the producer. If I could have, I would have," Scott said. "Except I do question – why have both (Blomkamp's Alien and Scott's Alien) out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off – it doesn't make sense. But they didn't go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it."

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-sequel-awakening/#images

Evanus

I thought he said 18 months a couple of days ago?  :D

Ingwar

And he killed Blomkamp's project.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Lets see how successful Covenant is first. If it bombs, then I have a feeling a sequel will be either non-existent or not where Ridley wants to take it.

Hoping for the best though. Just worried that public perception of the movie might not be up to par. Googling Alien Covenant will drop some rather tepid/disappointing reviews on the first page of results.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Yeah, it's pretty obvious Ridley got that scrapped when you carefully read between the lines.

SpeedyMaxx

Ridley says a lot of stuff. He said similar things during promotion of Prometheus. I'll believe it is filming that soon when I see confirmation that shooting's begun. I think it's more likely he'll do one or two other things in-between.

Evanus

Yeah, we'll probably have to wait five years again.  :P

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on May 09, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

Well he said; "I just kind of kept out of it". I interpreted that as, he didn't want to get involved with the studio's politics.

Quote from: cucuchu on May 09, 2017, 09:21:08 PM
Lets see how successful Covenant is first.

Yeah, that will be the determining factor. He's doing "All the Money in the World" next, a relatively small project that will probably keep him busy for the next six months or so.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2017, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 09, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

Well he said; "I just kind of kept out of it". I interpreted that as, he didn't want to get involved with the studio's politics.

He also asked question:

Quote"Except I do question – why have both (Blomkamp's Alien and Scott's Alien) out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off – it doesn't make sense. But they didn't go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it."

That means studio might have listened to what Ridley was thinking and they killed it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on May 09, 2017, 10:13:21 PM
Quote"Except I do question – why have both (Blomkamp's Alien and Scott's Alien) out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off – it doesn't make sense. But they didn't go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it."

That means studio might have listened to what Ridley was thinking and they killed it.

It would ultimately still have been the studio's decision. But Scott seems to contradict himself since he also says; "If I could have, I would have [produced it]". And why wouldn't it make sense? If Disney can produce two new Star Wars movies in different time periods why can't Fox do the same with Alien?

Also a lot of confusion with regards to Alien: Awakening. First it was supposed to be a prequel to Alien: Covenant and now it was apparently the title of Blomkamp's project? WTF?   ??? :laugh:

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2017, 10:35:56 PM
And why wouldn't it make sense? If Disney can produce two new Star Wars movies in different time periods why can't Fox do the same

Because star wars is absolutely guaranteed box office returns.  Aliens is not.

hfeldhaus

In all fairness to Fox, you have Ridley Scott on one hand and Nell Blomkamp on the other. Just having Scotts name on it gives it a profits boost whereas Blomkamp has had a stuttering start to his career.

echobbase79

He did have the support of Weaver though.

I'm sure Scott probably liked his idea, but the prequels are what he and Fox are focusing on at this time.

BishopShouldGo

Scott is also currently open to returning to Blomkamp's idea after his prequels.

motherfather

motherfather

Didnt it take aaaages to write covenant and then rewrite it and have it knocked into shape?  A number of writers were attached and detached to the "in the pipeline" prometheus 2 project.

It sounds a bit optimistic to be shooting next year. Unless there is some way to cash in on pre-Brexit film studios etc...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed