Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,260 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

The thing on the mural is either an early ancestor of the xenomorph, which David refined to make his version.  Or it is the xenomorph, because the full mural depicts the lifecycle (you can clearly see a facehugger type creature).

So it's a combination of Engineers and David. 

SiL

SiL

The goo makes Alien-looking things, that's consistent in the two prequels. The actual Alien, life cycle and all, is David.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 16, 2018, 08:42:27 PM(you can clearly see a facehugger type creature).

You can clearly see a bit of Giger's concept art for Alien pasted in to fill the gaps.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 17, 2018, 10:46:46 AM

You can clearly see a bit of Giger's concept art for Alien pasted in to fill the gaps.

So?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 16, 2018, 12:04:16 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jun 16, 2018, 11:55:46 AMBecause the mural is the deacon, not the xenomorph. In the furious Gods doc as they are constructing and painting the set, you can see for definite that it is the deacon.

Which in some ways makes less sense, given the convoluted steps they went through to spawn the Deacon in the film.

Aye, that's why I had a problem with it being a deacon. As was said though, it could be retconned to be just a generic Alien-like Protoalien thing that the black goo seems to creature. That I don't have an issue with. Would have been interesting to see what the Xeno-Fifield would have turned out like if they'd finished the effect or gone down that route.

lost dragon

lost dragon

Watched it again yesterday and unlike Prometheus, which after repeat viewings, i have grown to at least accept...

I just found a repeat viewing of this made me focus on all the aspects that really didn't make any bloody sense and have been discussed to death on here and YT since it's release.

If it wasn't for Fassbender, who i think could make the writing of a shopping list, compelling viewing, i don't think i would of watched it again.

I can't say I hate it, i just don't find much to like in it, if that makes sense?.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: lost dragon on Jul 14, 2018, 08:36:56 PM
I can't say I hate it, i just don't find much to like in it, if that makes sense?.

It make sense. I've grown to appreciate certain things about Covenant myself. But none of it stops my mind from interpreting what I see and hear from the movie as stuff that just resembles (forgive me) bad fanfiction. It wasn't all guns and marines and "splosions" and dropships. But it felt like it was written by a fan of Prometheus, desperately trying to find something intelligent or dramatic to say, yet they lacked the ability to properly do so.

It's a marvelous looking film. Fantastic really. But the script, the story overall, was one of the blandest I've ever seen. It should never have left paper. I felt more connection to the characters, more excitement, more satisfaction with Resurrection, than I ever will with Covenant. I finish Resurrection at least, feeling as though I've just watched an Alien movie. I finish Covenant, feeling as though I've watched a well shot mess.

Covenant does stand as a metaphor though, but I think it's for the franchise. David is like the prequels. Malfunctioning, desperately trying to understand what it is and how to create perfection. Dreams of grandeur yet to be realized, and an uncompromising sense of superiority. Lashing out and destroying those that came before it (its betters). At this point, the franchise (like David's mind) is in pure freefall. Narrative freefall.

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

I watch this only for the last minutes. The real Xeno was the highlight.
It felt a bit too aggressive, but kinda real unlike the Neo who could totally hide and open his mouth in cartoonish manner.
I can live with David as villain since the engineers are successfully ruined. They can't even give them the same look. How cheap is that??

3/5
Without real Xeno 2/5

PS: Really brutal backburster scene, though. That was intense.  :o

Gaunchola

Gaunchola

:D  @ Scorpio 

As I take a look at your Forum Avatar - especially in connection to what ´s written right below this picture - can I say that you have some sort
of special little thing going on here ? Like , you more the Predator-kind-of-guy , right ? Always two steps faster than your prey , you get the picture...
You do  >-> for sure .

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Gaunchola on Jul 28, 2018, 07:44:20 PM
:D  @ Scorpio 

As I take a look at your Forum Avatar - especially in connection to what ´s written right below this picture - can I say that you have some sort
of special little thing going on here ? Like , you more the Predator-kind-of-guy , right ? Always two steps faster than your prey , you get the picture...
You do  >-> for sure .

???

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

I remember very well the day when I went watching Alien Covenant. It was a pretty day. Clear sky. I had spent some quality time with a friend in the previous hours. I was so hopeful and excited when entering the theater.

1 - I loved Prometheus to DEATH (despite its flaws)

2 - Covenant was a break from YEARS of complete boycott of Hollywood movies (for political, artistic and aesthetics reasons)

3 - It was was also one month after I moved out from Paris, setting in East France instead.

So watching Alien Covenant was an important step for me: a sequel to a movie I adored, a way to say "Hello again" to USA cinema and a gift to myself, to welcome myself into my new city.

And... what I saw was pure shit.

I hated the film so much. It destroyed everything I loved in Prometheus: the relative absence of Aliens (because I share Scott's feeling about this, the traditional Alien is cooked, it's been overdone), the grandiose atmosphere, the existential themes, the splendid scenery, the amazing Engineers design and the biomechanical technology.

In a lot of ways, it felt like a caricature of Prometheus, and simultaneously an insult to it (particularly Shaw's offscreen fate). The intriguing Deacon was turned into the useless Neomorphs, the ambiguous David became a straight serial killer and half-symbolical rapist, the human crew was ten times more stupider, Weyland in the prologue was gratuitously unsensitive and tyrannic, etc etc.

Other choices are just terrible, such as the pseudo-primitive architecture or the forest world... I'm sick to death of Canada Planet.

f**k Ridley Scott. f**k this movie. I was so joyful and confident in the movie when entering the theaters, I just wanted to give a nice gift to myself, Agent Cooper style.

And WHAT A GIFT IT WAS.

I just hoped for a nice Alien flick, I wasn't even hoping for Prometheus 2, I just wanted a nice horror movie with good monsters, a decent story.

For very personal reasons, this is the WORST MOVIE.

And you? How did you feel?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It met my expectations.

The Old One

The Old One

The prologue's perhaps the best isolated interaction/section - of the entire Alien Franchise.

Peter Weyland Prologue > Waste of a Geriatric Guy Pearce.

Neomorph > Male/Female/Engineer prodigy, in Narrative and Aesthetic.

Prometheus is ambiguity for ambiguity's sake, it has no point.

SM

The Old One

The Old One

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed