Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,661 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Apr 22, 2018, 07:49:58 AM

Guess that's why they didn't call it hypersleep - oh wait...

Yeah I know but they're not the same thing.

QuoteWell you just answered yourself, they never finished the repairs, and they started the repairs before Kane got huggered.

Yes.  So?

That means the repairs could have taken any time as they didn't finish them.

QuoteAnd time for Daniels checking on 'Walter' and then going to make an omelette.

You don't add any time on for that.  That's happening while the embryo is gestating.

I don't understand what you're getting at. 

SM

SM

QuoteThat means the repairs could have taken any time as they didn't finish them.

No it means it took less than the 25 hours it was going to take.

QuoteI don't understand what you're getting at. 

Daniels making eggs is irrelevant to Lope's gestation.  The events are concurrent.

Stolen

Stolen

Alien Covenant: My Favorite Frankenstein Film | Video Essay (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvA94ubutQs

Interesting reflection on Covenant and his relation to Frankenstein
Further evidence that Covenant is very rich, and the most important sequel of the Alien franchise since 79.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

They are sleeping on some level.  Remember David watching Shaw dream?

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Stolen on May 21, 2018, 02:47:36 PM
Alien Covenant: My Favorite Frankenstein Film | Video Essay (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvA94ubutQs

Interesting reflection on Covenant and his relation to Frankenstein
Further evidence that Covenant is very rich, and the most important sequel of the Alien franchise since 79.

That's awesome.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I'm coming around to liking Covenant.  I was never married to Shaw.  She just was not an inspired character, overshadowed by the work of Fassbender.  Increasingly I think that just may be the acting.  I can't put my finger on it...

I think I'm ok with David creating the aliens for the most part.  There is still enough Alien mystery in there that it is compelling.  I am honestly more bothered by the new born alien waving its arms, super short gestation periods, and impregnation period.  That really got in my craw.  These were some fairly established qualities of the Alien which went through the wringer just to suit the pacing of the film.  Blah!  ...and the newborn holding up its arms?  Double blah!  Plus cringeworthy too...

Scorpio

Scorpio

If you read the novelisation, David had 10 years to perfect his creation.  The Engineers had billions of years.  If you do the math, what are the odds that David's creation is entirely his own?  Very small.  But the movie doesn't spoonfeed us, the mural in Prometheus is enough.  It's not just a matter of 'David creating the alien'.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 15, 2018, 12:24:38 AMIf you read the novelisation, David had 10 years to perfect his creation.  The Engineers had billions of years.  If you do the math, what are the odds that David's creation is entirely his own?  Very small.

If you read the novelisation, it explicitly states the Engineers made them. But the film doesn't conform to that, and Foster himself said he was the one who injected the idea of David not being the creator - it didn't come from the movie.

SiL

SiL

And in the movie David said he uses the goo as a base, so it's not like he's working from scratch. He's building on ages of work.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 15, 2018, 08:09:21 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 15, 2018, 12:24:38 AMIf you read the novelisation, David had 10 years to perfect his creation.  The Engineers had billions of years.  If you do the math, what are the odds that David's creation is entirely his own?  Very small.

If you read the novelisation, it explicitly states the Engineers made them. But the film doesn't conform to that, and Foster himself said he was the one who injected the idea of David not being the creator - it didn't come from the movie.

Exactly because, it's unneeded exposition, it doesn't need to be in the movie.

All the information is given to you with the mural in Prometheus.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 15, 2018, 12:24:38 AM
If you read the novelisation, David had 10 years to perfect his creation.  The Engineers had billions of years.  If you do the math, what are the odds that David's creation is entirely his own?  Very small.  But the movie doesn't spoonfeed us, the mural in Prometheus is enough.  It's not just a matter of 'David creating the alien'.
The film does spoonfeed us information. Here's some food on a spoon:

"Soon enough I began a bit of genetic experimentation of my own. Cross-breeding,  hybridizing, what have you.
You engineered these, David?
Idle hands are the Devil's workshop, Captain."

Scorpio

Scorpio

That could mean he designed/built his own strain, from a basic blueprint from the Engineers (like the mural in Prometheus). 

Again, the mural in Prometheus, the mural in Prometheus.  How many times does it need to be said?

But whatever you choose to believe.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Because the mural is the deacon, not the xenomorph. In the furious Gods doc as they are constructing and painting the set, you can see for definite that it is the deacon.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jun 16, 2018, 11:55:46 AMBecause the mural is the deacon, not the xenomorph. In the furious Gods doc as they are constructing and painting the set, you can see for definite that it is the deacon.

Which in some ways makes less sense, given the convoluted steps they went through to spawn the Deacon in the film.

The Old One

The Old One

The mural could easily retroactively be a Neomorph anyway, which essentially is the same thing as a Deacon but the Deacon is different in the convoluted manner it was spawned.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed