Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,101 times)

Darkness

Darkness

This is the official fan reviews thread for Alien Covenant. It officially comes out tomorrow in some countries including France so here's the place to say what you thought about it after you've seen it. Think about what you liked, what you didn't like, how it compares to Prometheus and the rest of the films in the series. I've also included a little poll for you to rate it.

M_Tak

M_Tak

Said my thoughts on other threads, but 3.5 or 4/5 for me. I really liked it for the most part, it's just the final act that brings it down a bit otherwise it'd be a classic for me.

Needed improvements:

• A few extended character moments (i.e. Tennesse, Oram)
• **An extended third act**
• Take out the Xeno-vision shots
• Touch up on some CG, mainly wide shots of the Xenomorph need tweaking/improving in some scenes.
• Re-insert the Xeno-bouncing off the walls shot in the corridor.

Stolen

Stolen

3.5/5

Very strange movie

Part 1 : too long
Part 2 : scary in several ways
Part 3 : too fast

Finally, everything that touches the monster is less interesting.
Everything about David is fantastic.

It's a nightmarish continuation of Prometheus, incredible, unhealthy, frustrating.
It's an alien film terribly banal, sometimes superb (backburster), sometimes debilitated (Rosenthal, Shower scene)

The film is dark, really, and the sets are fantastic.

Alien³

Alien³

Will be hosting a live review after I've seen the film.

John Doe

John Doe

I prefer Prometheus over Covenant.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: John Doe on May 10, 2017, 12:57:50 AM
I prefer Prometheus over Covenant.

Could you please elaborate on that. Some comparisons and personal opinion... I m interested in comparative reviews and since you are the first to say that you like Prometheus more, it would be nice to see some arrguments behind that statement...

cucuchu

cucuchu

It would be nice to see where it fits in everyone's rankings of all the alien movies, even avp and avp:r if so inclined. Such as my example, minus A C since I will not see it until the 18th....

Alien=Aliens>>Prometheus>Alien3>>>>Alien:Resurrection>>>>>>>>>>>>AvP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AvP:R

Stolen

Stolen

My rank
Alien - Aliens - Prometheus - Alien3 - Resurrection - Covenant

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

01) Alien
02) Aliens

03) Alien: Covenant

04) Prometheus
05) Alien 3

06) AVP
07) Alien Resurrection

08) AVP: Requiem

juxtapose

juxtapose

Quote from: Stolen on May 10, 2017, 05:21:25 AM
My rank
Alien - Aliens - Prometheus - Alien3 - Resurrection - Covenant
weaker than resurrection?.. .really!?. .ouch!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Here's HuDaFuk's review -

QuoteOverall, I liked this more than Prometheus, but it had definite faults.

It was undeniably a more commercial, less ambitious movie than Prometheus, but I thought that ultimately worked in its favour. There were a few hints of some of the higher concepts of the kind explored in the previous film, chiefly in the scenes involving David, but on the whole it was a more straightforward film. More action-packed, more intense. I'm also happy to say it fixed one of my biggest criticisms from Prometheus - whereas the crew in that were terribly cardboard and uncharismatic, I'm pleased to say the characters in this immediately came across as more interesting and likeable to watch.

However - and this was my main problem - it was one of those movies that suffers quite badly from a case of deterioration; it seemed to get less impressive as it went along, culminating in a final act that I thought was, disappointingly, pretty weak. The Neomorph birth sequence, seen in the previews, was excellent and probably the best part of the movie. But towards the end, more and more things started happening that really disappointed me.

Spoiler
For instance, they once again messed with the details and timescale of the Alien reproductive cycle. Crudup's character is infected and gives birth in about ten minutes, whereas later in the film someone is impregnated after a Facehugger is in contact with them for no longer than a few seconds. Seriously, they're never even knocked unconscious before the thing is cut off them, and yet they're still infected. Also, for some reason the Chestburster is now a fully-formed, miniature version of the Alien, with arms, legs and head, rather than the slug-like design from the previous films.
[close]

Another issue I had was the big final twist. To say it was obvious is a huge understatement; I saw it coming about 20 minutes before the end of the film, and being so obvious, it was hard to get even slightly thrilled by it. It was just so blatantly telegraphed from the moment it was set up.

It's a shame most of the things I disliked were towards the back end of the movie, because it was a let down after the great opening acts and kinda soured the whole experience with a disappointing conclusion. As I said, the final act aboard the Covenant in particular was quite weak - it felt way too short and didn't portray the Alien in particularly good light. Still, overall it was an entertaining movie, and a definite step up from Prometheus. I've actually seen it twice now, and I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Oh, and as I was asked - I'd probably rank it fourth, after the first three but ahead of Resurrection and Prometheus 🙂 Might be a better-made film than Alien 3, but I have a soft spot for that.

And here's mine - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-covenant/review/

In terms of ranking, for me it goes

Joint 1st Place - Alien/s/3
4th Place - Alien: Covenant
5th Place - Prometheus
Joint 6th Place - AvP & Alien: Resurrection
8th Place - AvP: Requiem

I went for 6.5 out of 10 for my review. I was struggling to settle between 6 or 7. I wanna watch it a few more times to really make my mind up.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .ok . .that sounds a bit more encouraging, thankyou Hicks!

gantarat

gantarat

overall dissapoint.

many thing on this movie didn't make any sense.

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

For those who watched the movie,are the alien cgi better than those from the trailers?

Like the cgi on the tracking clip.The alien feels weightless while moving.
Did they correct it?
Same question about the shot with the neomorph opening its mouth.Were they unfinished shots used in the trailers?

Do they explain whats with the alien's vision? (tracking clip). Just curious if there is any resemblance with the avp games.
Is there an intense ''long'' scene with facehuggers? like the 2 Burke released on aliens.Except the egg scene from the trailer i mean.

***please no spoilers!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SPECIAL FORCES on May 10, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
Like the cgi on the tracking clip.The alien feels weightless while moving.
Did they correct it?
Same question about the shot with the neomorph opening its mouth.Were they unfinished shots used in the trailers?

I'll leave these for someone with better eyes.

QuoteDo they explain whats with the alien's vision? (tracking clip). Just curious if there is any resemblance with the avp games.
Is there an intense ''long'' scene with facehuggers? like the 2 Burke released on aliens.Except the egg scene from the trailer i mean.

No to both of those.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed