Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,724 times)

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

Well, this wasn't a real review, more like personal feelings (but I guess there was a review element), I wanted to share the way I felt and to know how other people experienced the movie, which is a vastly different thing than to analyze exactly how bad is it (I did it in another text).

But since apparently people don't have really INTENSE and PERSONAL feelings towards the movie, you can lock or delete this thread! I've already added TH3 F33LS to the review thread.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I enjoyed it on my first viewing. Aside from a few elements like the rushed ending with the alien aboard the Covenant and David creating the Alien.

Overall it was a far more satisfying experience than Prometheus, for me anyway.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2019, 12:36:46 AM
It met my expectations.

And what were you expecting?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Exactly what we got.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Which was expected.

CelticP

CelticP

Alien Covenant rules.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Why are people on the net so hostile about Covenant? "F**k Ridley Scot, F**k this movie." Geez...

I for one loved it, but I didn't like Prometheus. But I don't say "f**k Ridley Scott" because of it.

SM

SM

Limited vocabulary I suspect.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 13, 2019, 06:26:03 AM
Why are people on the net so hostile about Covenant? "F**k Ridley Scot, F**k this movie." Geez...

I for one loved it, but I didn't like Prometheus. But I don't say "f**k Ridley Scott" because of it.

There are a certain amount of people that didn't like the moving away from alien and towards artificial intelligence. When covenant cemented that direction it pissed those people off, big time. But even the people who love it can admit it has narrative and third act issues. So as a film, it is legitimately flawed in ways.

CelticP

CelticP

Fandoms tend to be toxic.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 13, 2019, 06:54:47 AM

There are a certain amount of people that didn't like the moving away from alien and towards artificial intelligence. When covenant cemented that direction it pissed those people off, big time. But even the people who love it can admit it has narrative and third act issues. So as a film, it is legitimately flawed in ways.

That's all fine. I understand it. But there's no reason to then go on to say "f**k Ridley Scott, etc". It's just so silly.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

I don't like Ridley Scott. He acts like he has a spine and he has not.

In the 80s he read one bad critique of one of his movies by Pauline Kael (the excellent analysis Baby, The Rain Must Fall) and decided to literally NEVER READ A REVIEW EVER AGAIN. It was the start of Coward Scott.

In recent days, he decided to move away from Alien with Prometheus, to propose a fresh story in the same universe, and in the end he chickened out, keeping the Deacon which was clearly useless to the story and painting it dark blue to have a more Alien-like monster, and reverting from the Aliened Fifield to a shitty zombie, so in the end instead of a movie about Engineers and interesting bioweapons we have a movie with zombies and pseudoaliens.

Then with Covenant, he literally said "They want Aliens? I'll give them Aliens" and proceeded to make a film with Aliens as tools and canon fodder, because Covenant is like this, the beasts are dangerous but also easy to kill and literal tools to David's will. He also made his movie a celebration of ethnocentric aesthetics and rape culture.

Not to mention the guy allowed Giger to be kicked out of the production of Prometheus (by the decor designer if I remember right), way to be grateful towards an elderly and weakened man who was one of his greatest collaborators and the creator of the legendary monster and biomechanical imagery in the first place. This was the last straw in a history of Hollywood people treating Giger like shit.

But that doesn't surprise anyone coming from a man who also said, about the whitewashing of Exodus, "I can't mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I'm just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Ridley Scott probably isn't a "evil" or "stupid" guy. However, he is a coward joyfully complying with studio decisions. Gone since decades is the man who imposed Giger, now he's Giger's backstabber. Gone since decades is the storyteller with multiple space jockey theories. Now he's the guy who says "Oh whatever, the black goo does whatever, hahaha". Gone since decades is the guy who cared about anything in ethics, politics or aesthetics.

So yeah. f**k Ridley Scott.

SM

SM

Quote from: CelticP on Feb 13, 2019, 06:56:09 AM

The above shows they can also be verbose.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 13, 2019, 04:05:22 PM

In the 80s he read one bad critique of one of his movies by Pauline Kael (the excellent analysis Baby, The Rain Must Fall) and decided to literally NEVER READ A REVIEW EVER AGAIN. It was the start of Coward Scott.

In recent days, he decided to move away from Alien with Prometheus, to propose a fresh story in the same universe, and in the end he chickened out, keeping the Deacon which was clearly useless to the story and painting it dark blue to have a more Alien-like monster, and reverting from the Aliened Fifield to a shitty zombie, so in the end instead of a movie about Engineers and interesting bioweapons we have a movie with zombies and pseudoaliens.

Then with Covenant, he literally said "They want Aliens? I'll give them Aliens" and proceeded to make a film with Aliens as tools and canon fodder, because Covenant is like this, the beasts are dangerous but also easy to kill and literal tools to David's will. He also made his movie a celebration of ethnocentric aesthetics and rape culture.

Not to mention the guy allowed Giger to be kicked out of the production of Prometheus (by the decor designer if I remember right), way to be grateful towards an elderly and weakened man who was one of his greatest collaborators and the creator of the legendary monster and biomechanical imagery in the first place. This was the last straw in a history of Hollywood people treating Giger like shit.

But that doesn't surprise anyone coming from a man who also said, about the whitewashing of Exodus, "I can't mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I'm just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Ridley Scott probably isn't a "evil" or "stupid" guy. However, he is a coward joyfully complying with studio decisions. Gone since decades is the man who imposed Giger, now he's Giger's backstabber. Gone since decades is the storyteller with multiple space jockey theories. Now he's the guy who says "Oh whatever, the black goo does whatever, hahaha". Gone since decades is the guy who cared about anything in ethics, politics or aesthetics.

Well, Ridley actually sometimes acts as dick. But i think it's better to separate creations from their creator and see them alone no matter how many good or bad traits he has.

I also can unterstand him not willing to read any reviews because i myself barely can stand any kind of critique.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 13, 2019, 04:05:22 PM

.. Wow.

Quote from: SM on Feb 13, 2019, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: CelticP on Feb 13, 2019, 06:56:09 AM

The above shows they can also be verbose.
:D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed