Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 121,027 times)

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Forbes gave it a good review!!  8)

D88M

D88M

is there any, REALLY and literally, spoiler free be it negative or positive that i could read yet?

also, the crowd is asking for Hicks review!

also, great to know is having a mostly positive reaction unlike Prometheus that was really divisive, though i have a feeling that it WILL be divisive for us fans in terms of lore/continuity screw ups, we will have to wait and see...

TyrantUA

TyrantUA

I just want someone to create a full spoiler topic describing everything that happens in the movie. Anyone, please?

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: D88M on May 07, 2017, 06:57:59 AM
is there any, REALLY and literally, spoiler free be it negative or positive that i could read yet?

also, great to know is having a mostly positive reaction unlike Prometheus that was really divisive, though i have a feeling that it WILL be divisive for us fans in terms of lore/continuity screw ups, we will have to wait and see...

Honestly, I would watch Beyond the Trailers review as there are basically no spoilers in it.

Not sure how she is usually for reviews but I was aware she went in being pretty sceptical and ended up sounding fairly balanced on the whole.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

75% RT currently. 8)

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Clowndog on May 07, 2017, 07:05:10 AM

Honestly, I would watch Beyond the Trailers review as there are basically no spoilers in it.

Not sure how she is usually for reviews but I was aware she went in being pretty sceptical and ended up sounding fairly balanced on the whole.

hmm, i hate youtubers, they are egocentric talentless kids that gain millons of views by stealing jokes from others and by talking about trivial stuff that they dont even know, they usually dont know what they are talking about so i dont think i can use a review like that to get an idea from the movie, thanks anyway, i will think about it or just wait to see the movie by myself

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Alot of those are spoiler free

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: D88M on May 07, 2017, 07:23:02 AM
Quote from: Clowndog on May 07, 2017, 07:05:10 AM

hmm, i hate youtubers, they are egocentric talentless kids that gain millons of views by stealing jokes from others and by talking about trivial stuff that they dont even know, they usually dont know what they are talking about so i dont think i can use a review like that to get an idea from the movie, thanks anyway, i will think about it or just wait to see the movie by myself

I get you, I hate most of them as well but having watched one or two of her reviews before she at least does due diligence on actually researching stuff and isn't overly bombastic and annoying like the others. She does have a specific vocal intonation which is a little annoying but whatever.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Another positive!

Quote    Alien: Covenant is quite possibly the best Alien film since James Cameron's ground-breaking 1986 sequel, which some haters may suggest isn't that difficult. It has all the elements you'd expect from an Alien movie as well as further depth from a story quite obviously planning to continue into at least one more feature. Ridley Scott continues to build upon the foundations he laid with Prometheus while giving the audience something to feast upon in terms of the horror so expertly delivered in the movies that preceded it.

Gloriously intense and in places absolutely terrifying, Alien: Covenant is the Alien movie you'd been waiting for and absolutely one of the stand-outs of the year so far. 

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2017/05/07/alien-covenant-review/ 

Protozoid

Protozoid

65 at Metacritic. Same score as Prometheus, but bound to go down as more reviews come out.

900SL

900SL

I read the critical reviews first, and initially it would appear that:

1:  It is a good, but flawed film

2: If you haven't seen (or remembered) the earlier films, you will like it

3: If you have a lot invested in the earlier Alien films, you may be disappointed. I think the Guardian compared it to watching  a greatest hits movie, and Variety says 'more of the same'. I trust Bradhaw as a film reviewer. He's less likely to have been bought off by the Corporation, Fox  :D

4: It looks like they repeat many of the Alien Tropes and play safe in respect of story

5: There's unanswered questions, potential continuity issues compared to earlier films, and some crew decisions are implausible.

It sounds pretty much as I expected. It was unlikely to be as bad as Prometheus, or as good as Alien/Aliens.     

EDIT. Having read Hicks review,
Spoiler
I cannot believe that they don't explain the Engineers, why they wanted to wipe us out, the source of the black goo, why David lays waste to the humanoids, or several other open ends from Prom. Actually, I can believe. Spin out the cash cow for as long as possible..
[close]

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-covenant/review/

My review is up. I'll post HuDa's in a second!

Ingwar

Ingwar

Guys, Rotten Potatoes doesn't mean anything. My favourite example is always Gladiator. Believe it or not but it's got only 64% on top critisc potatometer.

Corporal Hicks

From HuDaFuk (Xenopedia editor) -

Overall, I liked this more than Prometheus, but it had definite faults.

It was undeniably a more commercial, less ambitious movie than Prometheus, but I thought that ultimately worked in its favour. There were a few hints of some of the higher concepts of the kind explored in the previous film, chiefly in the scenes involving David, but on the whole it was a more straightforward film. More action-packed, more intense. I'm also happy to say it fixed one of my biggest criticisms from Prometheus - whereas the crew in that were terribly cardboard and uncharismatic, I'm pleased to say the characters in this immediately came across as more interesting and likeable to watch.

However - and this was my main problem - it was one of those movies that suffers quite badly from a case of deterioration; it seemed to get less impressive as it went along, culminating in a final act that I thought was, disappointingly, pretty weak. The Neomorph birth sequence, seen in the previews, was excellent and probably the best part of the movie. But towards the end, more and more things started happening that really disappointed me.

Spoiler
For instance, they once again messed with the details and timescale of the Alien reproductive cycle. Crudup's character is infected and gives birth in about ten minutes, whereas later in the film someone is impregnated after a Facehugger is in contact with them for no longer than a few seconds. Seriously, they're never even knocked unconscious before the thing is cut off them, and yet they're still infected. Also, for some reason the Chestburster is now a fully-formed, miniature version of the Alien, with arms, legs and head, rather than the slug-like design from the previous films.
[close]

Another issue I had was the big final twist. To say it was obvious is a huge understatement; I saw it coming about 20 minutes before the end of the film, and being so obvious, it was hard to get even slightly thrilled by it. It was just so blatantly telegraphed from the moment it was set up.

It's a shame most of the things I disliked were towards the back end of the movie, because it was a let down after the great opening acts and kinda soured the whole experience with a disappointing conclusion. As I said, the final act aboard the Covenant in particular was quite weak - it felt way too short and didn't portray the Alien in particularly good light. Still, overall it was an entertaining movie, and a definite step up from Prometheus. I've actually seen it twice now, and I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Oh, and as I was asked - I'd probably rank it fourth, after the first three but ahead of Resurrection and Prometheus 🙂 Might be a better-made film than Alien 3, but I have a soft spot for that.

Ingwar

Ingwar

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed