Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 147,925 times)

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: cucuchu on May 07, 2017, 04:24:06 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 07, 2017, 03:40:45 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 07, 2017, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: shawsbaby on May 06, 2017, 11:52:01 PM
Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Spoiler
reading some of these reviews online it sure sounds like David is the creator of the Alien. It feels like Ridley chose to sacrifice the mythic and mystery-ridden primordial aspect of the Alien's nature in order to harp on the theme of the Created becoming the Creator, creating a new creation to kill one's creator. I hope this isn't the case as the Space Jockey (Engineers) basically being humans still feels like a letdown. The Alien being the pet project of an oddball Pinocchioish android kind of feels like a double-whammy.

Then on the other hand, Ridley is brave for "killing his darlings" in order to create something new and 'improved'. The twist that everything that we found mysterious in the original (ALIEN) was in fact all related to and created by 'humans' (counting human made androids and our human cousins the Engineers), is kind of an anticlimax. It's interesting and an unexpected twist, but an anticlimactic twist nonetheless.

I know that some people have been saying that David didn't create the Xenomorph from scratch per se but merely used the black goo and some ancient blueprints to (re)design and breed the Xenomorph. To me this doesn't make much of a difference. If it's created by 'humans' it can also be eradicated by 'humans', theoretically. To me that is a problem as it makes the Alien less mysterious, primordial and enigmatic. I always imagined the Xenomorph to be as old as the Universe - a remnant from another time or dimension even.

Still psyched by the movie and I can't wait to watch it no matter if David is the creator of the Xenomorphs or not!
[close]
Spoiler
agree,most dangerous alien creature in the universe made by crazy robot who playing god ? And he can control them ? this is horrible than retcon hicks alive nobody accept it
[close]

Well, according to Ridley Scott, we have not yet arrived to the point of the true,unhinged Xeno. I imagine that Xeno becomes AWAKENED in the next movie titled 'Awakening'. Just a thought. Ridley not making that clear through the film and rather simply being something stated during an interview might have been an oversight. I won't see the film until the 18th so I will see if any if this makes sense!

Judge from Hicks review.

Spoiler
No Xenomorph on this movies just Neomorph and Protomorph
[close]

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: gantarat on May 07, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Spoiler
reading some of these reviews online it sure sounds like David is the creator of the Alien. It feels like Ridley chose to sacrifice the mythic and mystery-ridden primordial aspect of the Alien's nature in order to harp on the theme of the Created becoming the Creator, creating a new creation to kill one's creator. I hope this isn't the case as the Space Jockey (Engineers) basically being humans still feels like a letdown. The Alien being the pet project of an oddball Pinocchioish android kind of feels like a double-whammy.

Then on the other hand, Ridley is brave for "killing his darlings" in order to create something new and 'improved'. The twist that everything that we found mysterious in the original (ALIEN) was in fact all related to and created by 'humans' (counting human made androids and our human cousins the Engineers), is kind of an anticlimax. It's interesting and an unexpected twist, but an anticlimactic twist nonetheless.

I know that some people have been saying that David didn't create the Xenomorph from scratch per se but merely used the black goo and some ancient blueprints to (re)design and breed the Xenomorph. To me this doesn't make much of a difference. If it's created by 'humans' it can also be eradicated by 'humans', theoretically. To me that is a problem as it makes the Alien less mysterious, primordial and enigmatic. I always imagined the Xenomorph to be as old as the Universe - a remnant from another time or dimension even.

Still psyched by the movie and I can't wait to watch it no matter if David is the creator of the Xenomorphs or not!
[close]
Spoiler
agree,most dangerous alien creature in the universe made by crazy robot who playing god ? And he can control them ? this is horrible than retcon hicks alive nobody accept it
[close]

Well, according to Ridley Scott, we have not yet arrived to the point of the true,unhinged Xeno. I imagine that Xeno becomes AWAKENED in the next movie titled 'Awakening'. Just a thought. Ridley not making that clear through the film and rather simply being something stated during an interview might have been an oversight. I won't see the film until the 18th so I will see if any if this makes sense!

Judge from Hicks review.

Spoiler
[close]

That's because they working their way up to what we will see in Alien.

The Cruentus

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Judge from Hicks review.

Spoiler
[close]
What do you mean by
Spoiler
Protomorph? You are not seriously saying that Xenomorph variations in Covenant are the precursors are you?
[close]

Mitsuki

Mitsuki

Who knows what happened to Elizabeth Shaw? ???

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 08:44:08 AM

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Judge from Hicks review.

Spoiler
[close]
What do you mean by
Spoiler
Protomorph? You are not seriously saying that Xenomorph variations in Covenant are the precursors are you?
[close]

The film doesn't imply that. They're the Alien. They just look different. We know that the films are going to eventually leave into the biomechanical aspects entering their design but they're not a completely different creature at all. It's just how the Runner is different, how the Auriga Aliens are different.

I f**king hate those Protomorph rumours.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 07, 2017, 08:46:10 AM

The film doesn't imply that. They're the Alien. They just look different. We know that the films are going to eventually leave into the biomechanical aspects entering their design but they're not a completely different creature at all. It's just how the Runner is different, how the Auriga Aliens are different.

Spoiler
Aliens don't look the same. The eggs look different, the facehuggers are slightly different, the chestburster is completely different and the Alien is lacking the biomechanical elements.
[close]

I couldn't say the same
Spoiler
if they look different every life cycle
[close]

Clowndog

Clowndog

Well as for
Spoiler
the sped up life cycle seen in so many of the films.
[close]
It's clearly done for thematic reasons but there could be an actual in universe reason, not saying this is true or I like the idea but just for theory crafting purposes.

Spoiler
The eggs that have only ever resulted in a non sped up life cycle (Alien 3 was still pretty fast, or at least it was speeding up by that point) in the films are the ones from the LV-426 derelict. Those eggs had been in some form of stasis for unknown amounts of time so maybe they have suffered from that in some way. Maybe they take a while to "wake" up properly? Or maybe they had gone off?
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 07, 2017, 08:46:10 AM

Just read your review
Spoiler
so the movie does not actually states in any form that David creates the Xenomorphs species and so does leave wiggle room for him merely recreating something that the Engineers already made?

Yeah I hate those rumours as well, I am actually starting to think people are doing it on purpose to anger the more serious Alien fans.

Oh I agree about the life-cycle speed thing regarding the facehugger in your review, that is disgusting, one of the reasons I am not fussed on Defiance at the moment is because they did exactly what happened in the movie.
[close]

What has happened to Ridley?

Alien Runner

lol at you guys still denying the Truth about the origin... well you need not worry for Alien Runner has a Theory... that will blow your mind. The Origin of the Xeno has been answered. The answer is right in front of us or should Alien Runner say, way behind of us... ;)

Scorpio

Scorpio

The backstory of the alien being an ancient creature really is not very interesting.  Of all the ways could go, they went the best, by making it an ancient creature (the mural) but also a modern one to tie it into the events of the film.  Because the main selling point is to see the origin of the alien.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Alien Runner on May 07, 2017, 09:17:24 AM
lol at you guys still denying the Truth about the origin... well you need not worry for Alien Runner has a Theory... that will blow your mind. The Origin of the Xeno has been answered. The answer is right in front of us or should Alien Runner say, way behind of us... ;)

Didn't Hicks warn you about trolling?  :P

Quote from: Scorpio on May 07, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
The backstory of the alien being an ancient creature really is not very interesting.  Of all the ways could go, they went the best, by making it an ancient creature (the mural) but also a modern one to tie it into the events of the film.  Because the main selling point is to see the origin of the alien.

Origin of the Alien is all well and good, such a story can be told without resorting to a simple android having to create the most deadliest species ever.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 09:14:05 AM

Just read your review
Spoiler
so the movie does not actually states in any form that David creates the Xenomorphs species and so does leave wiggle room for him merely recreating something that the Engineers already made?
[close]
Spoiler
He definitely made these Aliens in the film. Whether that ends up being him making the Aliens as a species, it's unclear.
[close]

Alien Runner

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
Quote from: Alien Runner on May 07, 2017, 09:17:24 AM

Didn't Hicks warn you about trolling?  :P

Origin of the Alien is all well and good, such a story can be told without resorting to a simple android having to create the most deadliest species ever.

Read Alien Runner's theory on origin of xeno. David is not the creator.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 07, 2017, 09:22:27 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 09:14:05 AM

Just read your review
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
He definitely made these Aliens in the film. Whether that ends up being him making the Aliens as a species, it's unclear.
[close]
Spoiler
That is what I mean, I know he created "those" but I am glad it left ambiguous at least concerning the traditional Xenos, thanks Hicks.  :)
[close]

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 09:20:28 AM

Why not? I find that ironical about David creating them (if it's true of course). Besides, Aliens being an ancient species is also simple and cliche.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed