Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 58,834 times)

windebieste

There's a ton more people that just want them laid to rest as well - and leave them that way. 

Respect the dead.  They should stay that way. 

If The Asylum studios were on board, sure, bring back Rippers noot and HIx in an episode of 'Z Nation'.  Otherwise, deal with it already. lol.   They're dead.  Just like Blomkamp's proposal.

I'm sure we will see elements from it integrated into an upcoming movie; but as far as The Triumphant Trio are concerned - they're history.

-Windebieste.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 30, 2017, 01:27:28 AM
I actually think the odds of the Blomkamp Alien project went up a few notches since the release of Covenant.  Covenant did not do well enough to really warrant the full exploration of Ridley Scott's vision.  He may get to do another Alien film, but I suspect that it will be a wrap for him afterwards.  But the film did just well enough to show that the franchise is worth saving, and I think Blomkamp's film may be just the ticket to do that.  There are many people who would love an alternate continuation of Aliens that features Ripley, Hicks, and Newt.
Probably not Blomkamp. There wasn't even a screenplay for it, just a bunch of concept art.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on May 30, 2017, 02:34:13 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 30, 2017, 01:27:28 AM
I actually think the odds of the Blomkamp Alien project went up a few notches since the release of Covenant.  Covenant did not do well enough to really warrant the full exploration of Ridley Scott's vision.  He may get to do another Alien film, but I suspect that it will be a wrap for him afterwards.  But the film did just well enough to show that the franchise is worth saving, and I think Blomkamp's film may be just the ticket to do that.  There are many people who would love an alternate continuation of Aliens that features Ripley, Hicks, and Newt.
Probably not Blomkamp. There wasn't even a screenplay for it, just a bunch of concept art.

I find that hard to believe.  Cameron said the script was gangbusters didn't he?  I am not sure where the truth is in all of this.

I am all for the idea being resurrected though.  The Alien franchise has reached another nadir, and Blomkamp's idea could potentially work very well if given a chance.  Nothing is uncertain at this point.  I am sure the guys at Fox are scratching their heads at the moment about what went wrong with Covenant, and if they should adjust the strategy going forward.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 30, 2017, 02:52:43 AMCameron said the script was gangbusters didn't he?

Cameron said Terminator: Genisys was hot shit, too.

He was half right.

Russ

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 30, 2017, 02:52:43 AM
I am sure the guys at Fox are scratching their heads at the moment about what went wrong with Covenant, and if they should adjust the strategy going forward.

Do you think there are Star Wars forums out there that hate the Alien-verse as much as Marvel fanboys hate the DCEU and even now as we try to forge a way forward, they're over in their Force-forums screaming "fck those Alien guys! Their continuity is shit!"  ;D ;D ;D

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Russ on May 31, 2017, 08:34:26 AM
I am sure the guys at Fox are scratching their heads at the moment about what went wrong with Covenant, and if they should adjust the strategy going forward.

Do you think there are Star Wars forums out there that hate the Alien-verse as much as Marvel fanboys hate the DCEU and even now as we try to forge a way forward, they're over in their Force-forums screaming "fck those Alien guys! Their continuity is shit!"  ;D ;D ;D

Lol!  Maybe!  I always felt that Star Wars was like the Beatles and the Aliens series was like the Rolling Stones.  Aliens stuff is so grounded in reality and hard science where possible.  Its a cold, stark reality.  Star Wars is all fluff and fairy tales.  But yet I imagine the fans are pretty crazy in both camps.  Perhaps even more so for the Star Wars guys since there is just more of them and it is so main stream.  One thing I am getting from this Covenant experience is that the Aliens series just stopped being main stream...

SM

QuoteI always felt that Star Wars was like the Beatles and the Aliens series was like the Rolling Stones.

That's how Giler always described it.

N-Shifter

N-Shifter

I find that hard to believe.  Cameron said the script was gangbusters didn't he?  I am not sure where the truth is in all of this.

Exactly, basically everyone involved in this except for Ridley Scott has said they read the script and loved it so is everyone else lying...........or, is Ridley playing all this down, getting confused, changing his story etc. which he is becoming quite well know for?

I say this as a huge fan of Ridley but he never answers the same question in the same way twice, that is when he even answers the question in the first place without re-directing it.

Russ

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 02, 2017, 12:04:14 AM
But yet I imagine the fans are pretty crazy in both camps.  Perhaps even more so for the Star Wars guys since there is just more of them and it is so main stream.  One thing I am getting from this Covenant experience is that the Aliens series just stopped being main stream...

Yeah... one of my big "regrets" over Star Wars was that they pitched the prequels at kids (at least initially) trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice. But the thing is, back in the 70s and 80s we had nothing. Like if you missed BSG or Buck Rogers... that was it. You were screwed and had to wait till next week having missed an episode.

Even when the prequels came out, kids had so much more entertainment at their disposal with computer games, consoles, packed out cable doing re-runs... their attention was always going to be transient. Far better for them to have made those Star Wars prequels really adult - could have been really worth works (I really liked the last one, I thought it was the best of the 3).

[/quote]
Quote from: N-Shifter on Jun 02, 2017, 12:21:09 AM

I say this as a huge fan of Ridley but he never answers the same question in the same way twice, that is when he even answers the question in the first place without re-directing it.

I got that feeling listening to his commentaries. It's like he's saying stuff and I'm not sure whether that was part of his plan at the time or if it just occurred to him. I maybe mis-remembering, but I recall he was postulating that everyone on the Nostromo was probably shagging each other.

Now - was that his thinking at the time, or did that occur to him afterwards? I don't know.

Two things about A:C from totally different sources struck a chord with me. Firstly, on youTube (a wretched hive of scum and idiocy) - someone commented on a review of A:C and said (paraphrasing) "This is what happens when you make a movie trying to answer questions that nobody really wanted answering."

Second, a mate of mine is HUGELY into the Alien-saga (so much so that he's hated everything since Aliens and funny enough isn't a member of this forum). He was saying that he wished that Ridley had stuck to his original guns and kept it as this trilogy having the "DNA of Alien" and "may well be set in the same reality." (or something like that). However bowing to fan - or studio? - pressure, Prometheus was forced down the "Alien" road and A:C more so.

So instead of doing his "Chariots of the Gods" thing, the Alien mythos is now hanging around the neck of this franchise like an albatross and ultimately, whatever answers they come up with won't satisfy anyone. 

It was a good point, well made - these movies would have been better as sidequels that hinted at the xenos but as Lee (my mate) said, perhaps would have been better served answering all those questions that Ridley was posing that had sod-all to do with eggs, facehuggers and queens.

D. Compton Ambrose

I don't think Neill Blomkamp should be the one to do the next Alien film.

Enter Jennifer Kent. Just look at The Babadook if you want a lesson on what scares people today.

Besides, we need more female directors. Cameron only had one big film under his belt (The Terminator) when he directed Aliens.

Gash

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 15, 2017, 02:31:37 AM
Cameron only had one big film under his belt (The Terminator) when he directed Aliens.

It shows.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Jul 24, 2017, 04:31:55 AMIt shows.

How?

I get that you're anti-anything Cameron, but the fact is it's hard to criticise his actual direction of the film. Regardless of what you think of the plot, he made an incredible movie for $18.5 million.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Gash on Jul 24, 2017, 04:31:55 AM
Cameron only had one big film under his belt (The Terminator) when he directed Aliens.

It shows.

Aliens by James Cameron was as close to a perfect movie you can get.  Every scene is memorable.

Gash

I'm pulling your leg. Ridley also only had one film under his belt.

Cameron had a lot of experience with tightly budgeted films. Aliens succeeds largely in fulfilling its scope, my own views on it as a sequel aside.

PierreVW

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 24, 2017, 10:24:14 PM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 24, 2017, 04:31:55 AM

It shows.

Aliens by James Cameron was as close to a perfect movie you can get.  Every scene is memorable.

The same is true with ALIEN(Ridley Scott). It was his 2nd film too. His perfect debut was THE DUELLISTS(1977).

ALIENS was the 3rd of Cameron. His second was the original Terminator. His debut was the awful PIRANHAS 2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed