Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 58,790 times)

SpeedyMaxx

I would've agreed with you until he signed up for someone else's zombie sequel. Now I think it's a question of money and control.

I know what I'd do with it, but Ripley would be a supporting player.

Anthony

Anthony

I wouldn't say there is any bad blood with Fox as well. I mean, he was given The Gone World right after Alien 5 was put on hold. It just comes down to timing.

DestinyCaptain

This certainly smells more like Scott has said it's not happening because he's now the Franchise Manager. There was a rival story concept out there that clashed with his for public attention. He didn't like that and killed it. It's that simple. More and more I get the feeling from him that if he didn't think of it, it doesn't count. I seriously doubt that he still holds Aliens in any regard anymore. Anything it added is out as well.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2017, 09:52:14 PM
I have to say I'd be more interested in seeing Ripley 8 explored more than seeing some contrived way of bringing back Hicks and Newt. There's some real potential in her and her connection to the Aliens that just wasn't explored enough in Resurrection that I'd like to see a sequel try it's hand at (even if it does sort of fly in the face of Ripley deciding to side with mankind but like I said, the film doesn't really go into this enough).

If this happened, I would buy a ticket to show my support of the Alien franchise (because money talks!)... but I would then tear the ticket up and walk away.  I ignore AR when I watch the Alien movies because I loathe it with a passion.  A3 I can watch and enjoy for the most part... but not AR.  I would never sit down and watch anything that continued that abomination of a film.

I get people like it... but it's certainly not for me.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: DestinyCapt on Apr 27, 2017, 10:03:18 PM
This certainly smells more like Scott has said it's not happening because he's now the Franchise Manager.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I think it's a much bigger issue that Blomkamp's last two films have been terrible flops.

QuoteMore and more I get the feeling from him that if he didn't think of it, it doesn't count. I seriously doubt that he still holds Aliens in any regard anymore. Anything it added is out as well.

I think that's sheer projection. I have no evidence he doesn't hold Cameron and Aliens in esteem, he just doesn't feel the need to revisit that territory.

Gridseeker

What a bump...... :-[ I guess the idea of an alternative sequel is way too complicated for a film, also I tihink "Chappie" influenced the decision of the delay and subsequent cancelleation. Still I think thereĀ“s some very competent directors who could deal with an Alien film and even better than Ridley like Denis Villeneuve. Imagine if he could direct a sequel after he finishes Dune. 

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 27, 2017, 09:59:02 PM
Quote from: oberonqa on Apr 27, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
I don't know.... somethings not adding up here.  As the article points out, Cameron said the script was awesome.  I like to think Cameron of all people can tell the difference between a treatment and a script.

I'm beginning to think there may some truth to the rumors that there was a creative difference between Ridley and Neil that lead to bad blood between the two.  His quote "I had to participate as a producer" is quite an interesting way to describe things...

"Gangbusters" he called it, Weaver had praised the script as well.

I don't think there's any bad blood between Ridley and Neill though. Or at least I've seen no indication of it yet.

Quote from: Neill BlomkampHappy #AlienDay - stoked to see #AlienCovenant
https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/857369123944185856

And Fincher is as likely to make a new Alien film as Local Trouble making a documentary on skulls.

Ridley saying he had to be producer is a pretty clear indication that something is up.   His representation of the state of the script is also an indication of a problem. 

More than likely they couldn't agree on the script, which would explain why Ridley doesnt call it a script.  From his point of view, there would be no script if he didnt like what was there.

As for the tweet, that just tells me Neil is a better sport than Ridley and knows how to keep things on a positive note.  Or the bad blood is entirely one sided....

kwisatz

Nietzsche is dead, confirmed by God!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 27, 2017, 10:00:48 PM
I would've agreed with you until he signed up for someone else's zombie sequel. Now I think it's a question of money and control.

They'd pretty much have to give him total carte blanch (guaranteed) then. That said, I see he has actually directed two movies for Fox since Alien 3.

Quote from: oberonqa on Apr 27, 2017, 10:12:11 PM
Ridley saying he had to be producer is a pretty clear indication that something is up.   His representation of the state of the script is also an indication of a problem. 

More than likely they couldn't agree on the script, which would explain why Ridley doesnt call it a script.  From his point of view, there would be no script if he didnt like what was there.

As for the tweet, that just tells me Neil is a better sport than Ridley and knows how to keep things on a positive note.  Or the bad blood is entirely one sided....

It's a badly google translated quote so I wouldn't put much stock in it until we get a proper translation. And Ridley can pretty much choose what he wants to do these days, no-one is going to force him to do anything.

Ridley also previously stated that Neill's script "was looking good so far" and that the film would have been out this year. Neill has previously stated that he had met with Ridley and that Ridley had only requested one small change to the script that he felt was "bumping Prometheus 2 a little"

Necronomicon II

Yeah I wouldn't hold much stock in that translation.

MrH

One thing I learned from attending the Fox uk Alien day event, Fox have essentially handed control of alien to ridley Scott moving forwards, or that's the impression I got anyway.
Fox representatives came out before the showings and said how excited they were over what ridley was creating and leading the franchise  forwards, the first in his prequel trilogy.

Really gave the impression ridley has total control now.

Valaquen

I wonder if Sigourney will try to twist her buddy Ridley's arm :P

Ingwar

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Apr 27, 2017, 10:34:30 PM
Yeah I wouldn't hold much stock in that translation.

What translation? There is a video interview:

http://www.allocine.fr/article/fichearticle_gen_carticle=18663572.html

Or we're talking about something else.

Richman678

Ridley is rebooting/revitalizing/taking control of his original series. Alien 5 does not really mesh well with that. There is only one way Blomkamp is given the go ahead. Covenant is critically panned by critics, makes hardly any money, and is loathed by the fans (us).....Mind you if all 3 of those things happen then the series returns to it's toxic levels and we have to wait 5 to 6 years for something.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Richman678 on Apr 27, 2017, 11:30:52 PM
Ridley is rebooting/revitalizing/taking control of his original series. Alien 5 does not really mesh well with that. There is only one way Blomkamp is given the go ahead. Covenant is critically panned by critics, makes hardly any money, and is loathed by the fans (us).....Mind you if all 3 of those things happen then the series returns to it's toxic levels and we have to wait 5 to 6 years for something.

The only one of those 3 options that has any bearing whatsoever on the future of the franchise is how much money the movie makes.  Critics have panned many movies that have made a lot of money (insert any Transformers or Fast and the Furious movie).  And fan approval, while nice, is never a factor in deciding whether a movie is successful or not (see Resident Evil movies or TMNT 2014). 

Money is and always will be the only thing that matters in this and any other entertainment-related industry.  Everything else is just fluff.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed