Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 58,197 times)

E. FINE

E. FINE

Good. This was just something to keep a sector of Alien3-hating fans slobbering for more of a movie like Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Let's keep it civil please, gents. We don't need to sling shit at different parts of the fandom.

Feeds On Minds

Best Alien related news I've heard in a loooooong time.

Corporal Hicks

I'm a little sad we're losing out on a new Alien film but I wasn't sold on this whole retcon angle so I'm kind of relived.

Kurai

The universe is a large place, infinitely so I'm told. It would be nice to get more Alien Universe movies and maybe Blomkamp could work on something like that? A Bladerunner-esque movie focusing on the Autons, a creepy psychological thriller set amongst the Arcturians or even a movie set during the viral infection on the moon mentioned in Ripley's backstory, viruses become hyper-infectious in low gravity and the wake of such an infection in a lunar colony could make for a scary thriller in itself. There's just so much potential in this Universe, stuff I'm not even touching on.

His Alien 5 was a bad idea and while I'm sad an Alien movie won't be seeing the light of day, I'm glad this particular vision won't

oberonqa

oberonqa

I don't know.... somethings not adding up here.  As the article points out, Cameron said the script was awesome.  I like to think Cameron of all people can tell the difference between a treatment and a script.

I'm beginning to think there may some truth to the rumors that there was a creative difference between Ridley and Neil that lead to bad blood between the two.  His quote "I had to participate as a producer" is quite an interesting way to describe things...

Anaerobius

Anaerobius

El problema surge al intentar remplazar a una secuela original como lo fue Alien 3 ademas de muy digna.

SpeedyMaxx

To be frank I think Neill Blomkamp is at about the tier of talent who could genuinely make a half-decent AVP film.

I am not a fan of Blomkamp's post-D9 work, to say the very least. And I hate the AVP films, and would be fine if that sub-franchise stayed dead. But I also like a challenge, and if you want to make a decent version of it he's one of the guys who is low enough on the totem pole now and might be good at it without it being unlikely because he'd be slumming. (See also: Neil Marshall who's very talented but very pulp, maybe Alan Taylor who's had his stock fall considerably since his GOT days, etc.).

But give Blomkamp Alien 5? No way.

I'll tell you who I would like to do 5: Fincher. And before we say it's impossible, the impossible happened the other day when the guy signed up for the sequel to World War Z. I never thought he could be f**ked to do that.

Game_Over_Man

I'd be more enthusiastic for Alien 5 if 3 and Resurrection remained canon, because despite the mixed reception for the films, they do have some of the more grotesque and intriguing concepts of the series. While they are not what many expected after Aliens, they are in their own way very unique entries.

There are ways to bring back the Ripley Hicks and Newt of Aliens, without ignoring 3 and 4 ever existed. One idea in particular is so cruel and tormenting of the characters, it is exactly inkeeping with Ripley's arc of abuse and exploitation by Weyland Yutani.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 27, 2017, 09:37:40 PM

I'll tell you who I would like to do 5: Fincher. And before we say it's impossible, the impossible happened the other day when the guy signed up for the sequel to World War Z. I never thought he could be f**ked to do that.

Thankfully that will never happen thanks to Fincher disowning the franchise.  One brooding examination on primal human nature and in-your-face satirical commentary is quite enough for the Alien franchise (in my humble opinion). 

Fincher is a great director, but like Tarentino and Micheal Bay, he is a one trick pony.  All of his movies are stylistically the same and i can't help but think Fincher would just so another version of Seven with Aliens in it instead of a morally reprehensible sociopath.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: oberonqa on Apr 27, 2017, 09:46:02 PM

Thankfully that will never happen thanks to Fincher disowning the franchise.  One brooding examination on primal human nature and in-your-face satirical commentary is quite enough for the Alien franchise (in my humble opinion).

Fincher has come a long way since Alien 3 (and Seven for that matter, though that's still a great movie).

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Apr 27, 2017, 09:45:41 PM
I'd be more enthusiastic for Alien 5 if 3 and Resurrection remained canon, because despite the mixed reception for the films, they do have some of the more grotesque and intriguing concepts of the series. While they are not what many expected after Aliens, they are in their own way very unique entries.

I think Weaver's performance as Ripley 8 is some of her best work - strange and fascinating and very different from what came before. I would be happy to see her reprise that. You don't have to get deep in the weeds of continuity and get into details of AR or A3, you just have to say she's alive again because they cloned her and she's weird now. The end.

Corporal Hicks

I have to say I'd be more interested in seeing Ripley 8 explored more than seeing some contrived way of bringing back Hicks and Newt. There's some real potential in her and her connection to the Aliens that just wasn't explored enough in Resurrection that I'd like to see a sequel try it's hand at (even if it does sort of fly in the face of Ripley deciding to side with mankind but like I said, the film doesn't really go into this enough).

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 27, 2017, 09:48:59 PM
Quote from: oberonqa on Apr 27, 2017, 09:46:02 PM

Fincher has come a long way since Alien 3 (and Seven for that matter, though that's still a great movie).

I agree wholeheartedly.... but his movies all share common stylistic traits which we have already seen before in Alien 3.  I for one wouldn't want to see Fincher in the directors seat for the same reason I wouldn't want Tarentino... I dont think their style is appropriate for the kind of movie Alien 5 needs to be (again, in my opinion).

Anthony

Anthony

I'm disappointed. Was really looking forward to it, but I knew it likely wasn't gonna happen after Blomkamp himself said it might not happen.

As for filmmakers I want to make an Alien film:
Fede Alvarez
Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Adam Wingard
David Robert Mitchell
James Mangold.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: oberonqa on Apr 27, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
I don't know.... somethings not adding up here.  As the article points out, Cameron said the script was awesome.  I like to think Cameron of all people can tell the difference between a treatment and a script.

I'm beginning to think there may some truth to the rumors that there was a creative difference between Ridley and Neil that lead to bad blood between the two.  His quote "I had to participate as a producer" is quite an interesting way to describe things...

"Gangbusters" he called it, Weaver had praised the script as well.

I don't think there's any bad blood between Ridley and Neill though. Or at least I've seen no indication of it yet.

Quote from: Neill BlomkampHappy #AlienDay - stoked to see #AlienCovenant
https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/857369123944185856

And Fincher is as likely to make a new Alien film as Local Trouble making a documentary on skulls.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed