Letting to much out.

Started by arnold23, Sep 16, 2007, 11:29:50 PM

Author
Letting to much out. (Read 2,584 times)

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 17, 2007, 12:30:11 AM
QuoteTo Hollywood, ICBM's have an equal output in comparison to atomic bombs. Logic isn't Cali's forte.

ICBMs have nuclear warheads.

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Sep 16, 2007, 11:55:00 PM
u asked what i'd sued that was the biggest i could think of, but you have to agree nuking a town isen't what they should do logically and in real life couldn't get away with...

Why not? It's basically a lethal viral outbreak of unprecedented magnitude. Once it reaches a certain size, that becomes the only resort. A nuclear strike is a perfectly legitimate response, if the alternative happens to be global contamination with a lethal pathogen.

Have to do something.

The thing is, F-22s aren't licenced or capable of dropping nuclear weapons. We see an F-22. JDAM or SDB is what they would have, but not nuclear weapons. If they have it try to do that, reality is out the window.

Yes, and what the F-22 (my fave) dropped in that trailer shot was a bomb, not a missile...A missile drops vertically, then moves horrizontally...Not this baby, and even though we can't know for sure what size it was, it could well be a thermonuclear bomb or a mini-'Fat boy', probably like the one that fell over Nagasaki, which had smaller yield than the one dropped on Hiroshima...

The F-22 is a stealth bomber, so the bomb dropping is credible...the yield of the bomb is unknown...The miniaturisation of components has enabled smaller bombs to be made, and the 'usual' thermonuclear bombs in Hollywood movies can be the size of the one dropped on Gunnison... and even smaller... ;)

Just check out this beauty... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor

;)

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

I can't believe we are talking about what kind of jet it is...

I say who cares, but I'm not a jet connoisseur.

KARHAN

KARHAN

yeah wtf ^^  but i dont think they are leting to much unlike AVP they showed the best scene of the only fighing scenes of the movie on their site ::)

and i watched AVP unrated and extenden wel gotta tel ya it was still crap only a little les crappier, that cgi blood looked so fake, it looked really silly when weyland died and saw the blood out og his mouth ::)

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

QuoteI say who cares, but I'm not a jet connoisseur

It's attention to detail that draws people into the movie.  If the directors get things wrong, it breaks the atmoshere and people stop and think "wait a minute that's not right...".  Having the military use the correct hardware is going to be important for this movie, the Strause's can't just think "Hey that looks cool, we'll have all our military guys use it" because people will pick up on it.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I don't really see the point in arguing about jet specifications...at least no one is wielding a minigun like a assault rifle that we can see...

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

They could get away with that in Predator because they were all supposed to be super-badass commandos who wouldn't be using standard issue equipment.  I figured someone would bring up Blaine's minigun before I even finished my post. ;)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Sep 17, 2007, 12:36:03 AM
Fine, I'll correct it- "an equal output in comparison to an atomic bomb."

No difference. Same warhead. :)

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Sep 17, 2007, 05:07:52 PM
Yes, and what the F-22 (my fave) dropped in that trailer shot was a bomb, not a missile...A missile drops vertically, then moves horrizontally...Not this baby, and even though we can't know for sure what size it was, it could well be a thermonuclear bomb or a mini-'Fat boy', probably like the one that fell over Nagasaki, which had smaller yield than the one dropped on Hiroshima...

The F-22 is a stealth bomber, so the bomb dropping is credible...

Fighter. Attacking surface targets is a capability being bolted onto it. It's primary purpose is to shoot down other planes.

Quotethe yield of the bomb is unknown...The miniaturisation of components has enabled smaller bombs to be made, and the 'usual' thermonuclear bombs in Hollywood movies can be the size of the one dropped on Gunnison... and even smaller... ;)

But that's my point... F-22s can't carry nuclear weapons. They haven't even been experimented with for them, let alone had any serious actual tests with the carriage. I'm not even sure there are any free-falls in the USAF inventory which would fit in the bay. :)

This is something I brought up when the preview was first seen: The two directors have had some experience with adverts for the US military. Presumably they know about this. Are we, ino fact, seeing two completely different aircraft or are they just putting an F-22 dropping a nuclear bomb in there because it 'looks cool'?

This is the reason I feel it's important, because if the answer is the latter, then we know that's their approach for the whole film - realism of secondary importance to whatever happens to look sexy (which is basically the opposite of 'Aliens', the film they're attempting to emulate).

I don't even see the point of an F-22 doing it. It's not like the Predator's lugging around a massive radar and SAM system on its back. Seeing an ordinary B-1 do it would be just as spectacular, if not more so.

If they're going for realism, then it's either not a nuclear bomb or there's a completely different aircraft dropping it. In which case, what's the F-22 doing? Is that what shoots down the spaceship or surveys where it lands? Is the bomb nuclear, but just part of a character's dream?

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Fine...if we want to be technical, the output of Fat Man in comparison to Trident II.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 17, 2007, 10:16:08 PM
realism of secondary importance to whatever happens to look sexy (which is basically the opposite of 'Aliens', the film they're attempting to emulate).
No, it's about exactly the same as what Aliens did.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 17, 2007, 10:16:08 PM
Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Sep 17, 2007, 12:36:03 AM
Fine, I'll correct it- "an equal output in comparison to an atomic bomb."

No difference. Same warhead. :)

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Sep 17, 2007, 05:07:52 PM

The F-22 is a stealth bomber, so the bomb dropping is credible...

Fighter. Attack surface targets is a capability being bolted onto it. It's primary purpose is to shoot down other planes.

Quotethe yield of the bomb is unknown...The miniaturisation of components has enabled smaller bombs to be made, and the 'usual' thermonuclear bombs in Hollywood movies can be the size of the one dropped on Gunnison... and even smaller... ;)

But that's my point... F-22s can't carry nuclear weapons. They haven't even been experimented with for them, let alone had any serious actual tests with the carriage. I'm not even sure there are any free-falls in the USAF inventory which would fit in the bay. :)

This is something I brought up when the preview was first seen: The two directors have had some experience with adverts for the US military. Presumably they know about this. Are we, ino fact, seeing two completely different aircraft or are they just putting an F-22 dropping a nuclear bomb in there because it 'looks cool'?

This is the reason I feel it's important, because if the answer is the latter, then we know that's their approach for the whole film - realism of secondary importance to whatever happens to look sexy (which is basically the opposite of 'Aliens', the film they're attempting to emulate).

I don't even see the point of an F-22 doing it. It's not like the Predator's lugging around a massive radar and SAM system on its back. Seeing an ordinary B-1 do it would be just as spectacular, if not more so.

If they're going for realism, then it's either not a nuclear bomb or there's a completely different aircraft dropping it. In which case, what's the F-22 doing? Is that what shoots down the spaceship or surveys where it lands? Is the bomb nuclear, but just part of a character's dream?

You're right.. The F-22 is a stealth fighter, but ALSO a bomber...The description of the F-22 payload describes missiles and bombs (the vertical dropping ones  ;D)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22

"Armament

The Raptor is designed to carry air-to-air missiles in internal bays to avoid disrupting its stealth capability. Launching missiles requires opening the weapons bay doors for less than a second, as the missiles are pushed clear of the airframe by hydraulic arms. The plane can also carry bombs such as the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) and the new Small-Diameter Bomb (SDB). The Raptor carries an M61A2 Vulcan 20 mm rotary cannon, also with a trap door, in the right wing root. The M61A2 is a last ditch weapon, and carries only 480 rounds, enough ammunition for approximately five seconds of sustained fire.

Now, I don't know if that type of bombs could carry a nuclear or thermonuclear device or not... ??? ;)

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

On topic though,

we have had too much spoilerish info as opposed to clear, defined promo pictures and/or stills...

Knowing a kid will get a chestburster out of him, how most of the characters will die, or even how the Predalien looks and how he and Wolf kill eachother is info we could well do without...

There is a difference between info we need to know to see if the movie will be worth watching, another is spoiler info that will make those scenes lose the momentum they would have if unexpected...

So, I think we already know too much about what we should have known less, and an awful less of what we should have known more, namely story elements...

or maybe what we've seen is what we will get story-wise: Predator ship with facehuggers onboard crashes, the huggers escape, impregnate a father and a son, then they spread until they infest the town, the military gets called, they fail on the ground, then they drop a bomb,a nd the survivors have little time to flee the town before it is destroyed... This is human-wise... Aliens and Predator-wise, Wolf lands here after the Predator ship crashes, with the mission to contain the threat, namely, kill all in his path... he fights his way through the infestation until he gets to the Predalien Queen, and after a violent brewl, the PredQueen impales Wolf, but he manages to pierce the PQ through its head...

These are the broad strokes of the story we have seen so far, both in the trailers, pictures (as the Predator keeps losing equipment in the shots) and info we have been getting so far...

So, we already have the story layout, what we don't have is the sub-plots, dialogues, acting and such...

So, I think we know more than enough already to make informed opinions as to the appeal the movie has or does not have or will have...

So, we already know too much... ;)

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Master on Sep 18, 2007, 12:03:10 PM
If they will drop a nuke on Guanisson, the efect would look like this:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafika:Nagasaki_1945_-_Before_and_after_%28adjusted%29.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Hiroshima_aftermath.jpg

Yes, good for making parking lots... ;D :-[

Only question is, given the fact that Aliens probably aren't affected by radiation, there will have to be some evidence on the movie that the Alien infestation was, in fact, completely contained, otherwise we will need sequels to solve this...We can't have Aliens running around, so... :-\

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Sep 18, 2007, 11:43:52 AM
You're right.. The F-22 is a stealth fighter, but ALSO a bomber...The description of the F-22 payload describes missiles and bombs (the vertical dropping ones  ;D)...

Yeah, it's official designation is technically meant to be the 'F/A-22' (like the 'F/A-18' - the 'A' stands for 'Attack'; as in ground targets). But it's still primarily a fighter with surface attack being very much secondary.

As the article notes, it's rated for JDAM and will, eventually, be rated for SDB (I don't remember if they've completed the tests for that, quite yet). That's it, though. Neither of those are nuclear.

Unless they're being hypothetical and setting this several years in the future, of course.

Punk19

Punk19

They've given little information out, which is a good idea. If you let every piece of information out, then the film will be ruined and no money intake. They're doing fine, by my standards they are.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed