Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 72,847 times)

SpeedyMaxx

My vague recollection is Dekker may have written much of the final script based on Black's outline, but they work very closely together so who knows. It is very much in the vein of their past team-ups, like Monster Squad and the unmade John Carpenter/Kurt Russell project Shadow Company, etc.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 03:01:30 AM
I think it depends a great deal on whether the studio doesn't panic or get cold feet based on geek reaction to the film, which I think is very possible - I still expect an Iron Man 3 deeply polarized audience reaction - and also whether they're willing to let Black and/or Fred Dekker take the reins and more control, if one or both want to continue. Shane Black is gonna stay Shane Black but this is a bit of a comeback for his partner Dekker, who's had a rough ride over the years. Anyway, who knows.

Yeah I can already see the Prometheus-y reaction now. The followup to The Predator would be a straight up hunting movie. Ugh.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 06, 2017, 03:20:19 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 03:01:30 AM
I think it depends a great deal on whether the studio doesn't panic or get cold feet based on geek reaction to the film, which I think is very possible - I still expect an Iron Man 3 deeply polarized audience reaction - and also whether they're willing to let Black and/or Fred Dekker take the reins and more control, if one or both want to continue. Shane Black is gonna stay Shane Black but this is a bit of a comeback for his partner Dekker, who's had a rough ride over the years. Anyway, who knows.

Yeah I can already see the Prometheus-y reaction now. The followup to The Predator would be a straight up hunting movie. Ugh.

I don't think the mixed-to-later-negative reaction to Prometheus was nearly as venomous as the geek reaction to IM3. The difference is IM is a bulletproof franchise, it made a shit-ton of money and Shane Black is a Hollywood folk hero who is relatively invulnerable at this point IMO. The reaction to Prometheus built and built with time, IM3's fan backlash was instant and intense despite (IIRC) good reviews.

I think The Predator as a story is much more focused and confident in itself and its goals than the final version of Prometheus ever was. Whether or not fans like it I think it will make money. But I do worry the studio will take any vituperative reaction too much to heart.

That being said: I do suspect any Black/Dekker follow-up film likely would be a more war/hunt-oriented film, based on where things are left in the story.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah you're quite right about that. Many people didn't know what to make of Prometheus but praised the visuals and Fassbender, only to eventually love it or hate it.

And even if the succeeding entry is a war movie, as long as it's a Black/Dekker movie, who really cares. They're amazingly talented guys. And I do hope they are involved in the followup, taking the reigns like Ridley is doing with Alien. Their tone is too unique. I have heard that Fox wants a trilogy with this.

And it's interesting because once upon a time, Black did say that you don't need to tell another Predator film whereas you could tell infinite Iron Man stories. This was circa 2013. I'm glad he's broadened the narrative breadth.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Apr 06, 2017, 03:50:24 AM
I have heard that Fox wants a trilogy with this.

They always say that, it shows confidence in their product.  Whether it's true or not, who knows.

Johnny Handsome

No Arnold is a real downer for me, this was basically the last chance to have him in this franchise one more time and go out with a bang. By the time another sequel will realistically go into production he'll be 73/74.

I can understand his decision though, if it's not a substantial role and doesn't really add to the story then better leave him out and let him be the mystery that every fan can make up his own mind about.

goose_3387

Let's see if they try and get Glover for that role now then...

The movie would be better without the roles in the leaked script anyway.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I agree it sounds more like he didn't like the role he was offered rather than the script as a whole. Still, not really fussed about Arnie not being in it. He's not the megastar draw he used to be.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 02:47:43 AM
given what both Predator and Black did for Arnold's career
Not a whole lot. It was a good film under his belt and one of the better things he did in the second half of the 80s, but his career was made in Conan, Terminator and even Commando. Predator didn't bolster him; he bolstered Predator.

Corporal Hicks

From what I understand it was a very very very small role at the very end of the script with like 2 lines. I'm just double checking before I front-page this but I can understand his decision.

predator88

I don't blame Arnold for not appearing in this turd. The script is horrid and thank God he refused to take any part in the burial of this franchise.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2017, 09:13:11 AM
From what I understand it was a very very very small role at the very end of the script with like 2 lines. I'm just double checking before I front-page this but I can understand his decision.
Well, if that's true then i'm glad he turned it down, that's exactly the kind of cameo i didn't want.

Quote from: predator88 on Apr 06, 2017, 09:56:38 AM
I don't blame Arnold for not appearing in this turd. The script is horrid and thank God he refused to take any part in the burial of this franchise.
Arnold was reacting to his part, not the script as a whole, he even said he would do it if they would rewrite his role.

The franchise was dead after Predator 2, then it was dead again after Predators. It still keeps coming back, and this time, in a very promising way.

Predator is still "A-class" unlike many franchises which turned DTV over the years, which could have easily happened. The sequels so far may not be quality all the way, yet the fanbase is growing, people are going to the cinema, buying the blu-ray's and for the most part, enjoying it.

So please, don't shit your pants just yet.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: predator88 on Apr 06, 2017, 09:56:38 AM

I wanted Dutch badly and even had a banner with him, but that was before, now that I know  the script is an unforgivable childish turd, I'm glad he refused to be part of it.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

It's a fantastic childish turd!

And again, Arnold's role was a setup for a large role in future. But hey, whatever.

Keith

Keith

he probably stopped reading after "spider Predators".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed