ADI AVP Alien Maquette

Started by Bad Replicant, Apr 02, 2017, 12:31:50 PM

Author
ADI AVP Alien Maquette (Read 2,116 times)

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

While browsing through the Prop Store website I happened upon this -- an alien maquette apparently made by ADI for the first AVP film. Can't remember if anything like it is in the creature effects book. An interesting curiosity, it makes me wonder if they may have initially aimed to refine their design more than they ended up being able to. Teeth aside (yikes) I actually don't think it's half bad, considering the final product. Still some elements of the Resurrection design present, but better than the slightly tweaked look in the film.

More pictures here:
http://www.propstore.com/product/alien-vs-predator/adi-alien-warrior-maquette/

426Buddy

426Buddy

Thats crazy looking! I like some aspects and hate others. The chin and teeth are aweful. But i kinda dig the hands as a more refined version of the resurrection  hands. The feet look bad, its that big toenail. I do like the overall color and texture of it though, interesting lack of digitigrade legs as well. Those back tubes look really odd lol.

Cool find!

SM

SM

Too many things seem too exaggerated.  Hands, dorsal tubes, teeth.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

It's not getting the blue ribbon for best alien design or anything, but I think it's more interesting than the slightly retooled Resurrection look. I like the detailing in the limbs, and it's at least got proper shoulder bones. 

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Never seen this before. Love the detailing and paint job -- wonder why they disn't reproduce it in the final version

D88M

D88M

iuck, most of the design sucks, and the more biomechanical look is good

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm digging the blue paint and the detailing on the legs but otherwise I'm not too sold on it. It's definitely an interesting look though. Thanks for sharing, Bad Replicant!

skhellter

skhellter

.....it's a horse-faced Xeno.

born out of Sarah Jessica Parker?

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 03, 2017, 03:26:47 PM

"There was a time when Paul Anderson said we should try putting a horse in an alien suit..."

D88M

D88M

what i dont really get: if something is not broken, why fix it? why they have to re design the creature in every incarnation?

SM

SM

Different creative team behind each film.

Even Giger wanted to change/ improve on the design.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 02, 2017, 03:31:40 PM
Thats crazy looking! I like some aspects and hate others. The chin and teeth are aweful. But i kinda dig the hands as a more refined version of the resurrection  hands. The feet look bad, its that big toenail. I do like the overall color and texture of it though, interesting lack of digitigrade legs as well. Those back tubes look really odd lol.

Cool find!
I'm almost of the opposite opinion - the feet look fine to me, but the hands look goofy. like SM said a lot of the design elements feel exaggerated and out of proportion - it feels like a "comic book" Alien to me with the almost-stylized design elements. It's not my preferred design for an Alien, but it's certainly unique.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Now that is great design, it looks truly menacing.

kirscheim

kirscheim

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 03, 2017, 03:26:47 PM

bethO stern

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed