*Spoilers* David and the Engineers

Started by Alien Runner, Apr 01, 2017, 10:25:42 AM

Author
*Spoilers* David and the Engineers (Read 5,608 times)

Corporal Hicks

As I haven't mention it in this thread, I would just like to mention that apparently those dead creatures were referring to as Deadgineers behind the scenes on Covenant.

XenoBishop

XenoBishop

Also I think its relevant that there are Engineer statues / temple features. Do they workship themselves? I would side with the idea that this more primitive race worships their creators (Engineers) rather than themselves. Hence why this happens in a temple, with them all gathering around an Engineer ship like its the second coming of their messiah.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: XenoBishop on Apr 02, 2017, 10:35:52 AM
At this point please forgive me for siding with someone who has seen the footage and even mentioned the skin complexion of this new race, as opposed to someone who paused a dark trailer.

In my opinion also, that "kneeling Engineer" is too skinny to be such, you can't see its face to see if it has that distinguised facial features. These guys didnt claim that the species wasn't a bipedal human/engineer-like race. They claimed it to be a different one though. I would like to think they'd rather keep their reputation than make things up.

That being said, you and I haven't seen the footage, so we're the least qualified. That paused trailer still isn't enough for me. Feels like Prometheus all over again when people saw things that weren't there.
But the difference is, i got the proof in that screenshot, that is from the trailer, they got what? just a little more views.
Not to be hating or anything but, if you are discharging the fact to not see that those engineers next to David are pretty huge,
to me that is just denying reality, its again something you want to believe next to something that is there to see.
Forgive me for siding Infected in this :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoBishop on Apr 02, 2017, 10:39:40 AM
Also I think its relevant that there are Engineer statues / temple features. Do they workship themselves? I would side with the idea that this more primitive race worships their creators (Engineers) rather than themselves. Hence why this happens in a temple, with them all gathering around an Engineer ship like its the second coming of their messiah.

How would you reconcile this with the massive Engineer head in Prometheus?

Infected

Infected

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
As I haven't mention it in this thread, I would just like to mention that apparently those dead creatures were referring to as Deadgineers behind the scenes on Covenant.
Yeah pretty much a fact.

XenoBishop

XenoBishop

I would have to politely disagree with that as proof. I think more of the Engineer lore will be revealed and to take things like the back of a bald head as proof that engineers were wiped out and not a race bore of them is the wrong tact.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2017, 10:41:30 AM
How would you reconcile this with the massive Engineer head in Prometheus?

I think it was decided that it was just an outpost? Was it not?.. In prometheus the juggernaut spaceship, stocked with black-goo bombs is resting on a moon/planet LV223 with one of their engineers in cryosleep and holographic "CCTV" footage showing suited engineers retreating to the spackdock's door (in which some failed).

To me that says an aborted mission. They don't worship themselves.

Necronomicon II

There's the elders as well...

Evanus

Evanus

I have a feeling those giant heads are not engineers. In the set reports for Alien Covenant, Ridley Scott explained that the giant heads in the Hall of Heads are superior people. Which could mean they're not engineers. I suppose that means the giant head in Prometheus is not an engineer either.

426Buddy

426Buddy

We'll see when it comes out but i believe these are going to be engineers on this planet. There isnt going to be another race in the film, no hints that there is a true space jockey other than the engineers.

The giant heads are most likely famous engineers who did great things in their society. A Mnt. Rushmore type of deal.

We may never find out why they appear so low tech and roman in Covenant, i think it will only be hinted at and left up to the viewer to think up a reason. We will all come up with something to explain why they dont have an air defense system in place, why they don' have advanced ship detection abilities (One would think they would see the juggernaut as soon as it entered their solar system), why they appear to be so severly low tech.

Personally i think it has something to do with what happened 2000 years ago. A great civil war perhaps, resulting in the engineer society being brought the brink of exterminatiion. The survivors perhaps returned to the homeworld (paradise) and left their old ways behind for a simpler life perhaps with a few shrines of technology devoted to educating peopl about the horrors of the past.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Infected on Apr 02, 2017, 10:31:41 AM
Quote from: XenoBishop on Apr 02, 2017, 10:26:50 AM
Can I just add my two-cents,

I just watched a reaction video from GeekTyrant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSICi_spRo - they are usually reliable. They were quite clear that the footage shows a NEW type of species being destroyed by the black-goo bombs. As some people stated from the set-leak that the dead bodies didn't look large enough to be Engineers, according to this video, its because they aren't.

They are apparently another (less advanced, Roman empire-like) race, like humans in which the Engineers created.

So, ya.
Then i would like to say, not true/false.
Maybe their judgement was cloudy or they didnt see the very well (i also have that with movies sometimes that i miss things the first time)
But look at this screenshot and look at cloaked David walking through the "Pompei" mess, you see giant engineers on their knees and they are still larger then David, so i stay to my fact that those are the same engineers, just as tall as the first we saw in Prometheus.
Stating that, its possible those are engineer kids, and David just bombed a "school"

This could all still change.  If we've learn anything from Fox it's never trust what is in a trailer to look even close to the same in the finished product.  It's a cool image for a trailer. 

I still think they are making up a lot of this as they go and patching it together in post.  That is why there are so many similar yet different reports from people who've seen test screenings.  Maybe they pulled the bombing scene from the one test screening to redo CG on it to make it yet another race and David is systematically eliminating all the species the Engineers created.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: fiveways on Apr 02, 2017, 01:39:29 PM

I just watched a reaction video from GeekTyrant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSICi_spRo - they are usually reliable. They were quite clear that the footage shows a NEW type of species being destroyed by the black-goo bombs. As some people stated from the set-leak that the dead bodies didn't look large enough to be Engineers, according to this video, its because they aren't.

They are apparently another (less advanced, Roman empire-like) race, like humans in which the Engineers created.

So, ya.
Maybe their judgement was cloudy or they didnt see the very well (i also have that with movies sometimes that i miss things the first time)
But look at this screenshot and look at cloaked David walking through the "Pompei" mess, you see giant engineers on their knees and they are still larger then David, so i stay to my fact that those are the same engineers, just as tall as the first we saw in Prometheus.
Stating that, its possible those are engineer kids, and David just bombed a "school"

This could all still change.  If we've learn anything from Fox it's never trust what is in a trailer to look even close to the same in the finished product.  It's a cool image for a trailer. 

I still think they are making up a lot of this as they go and patching it together in post.  That is why there are so many similar yet different reports from people who've seen test screenings.  Maybe they pulled the bombing scene from the one test screening to redo CG on it to make it yet another race and David is systematically eliminating all the species the Engineers created.
I can certainely say we wont see any human sized  engineers, unless they are younglings.
Other sites officially say they saw the bombed engineers turning into xenomorphs.

rabidranger

rabidranger

The Engineers at the beginning of Prometheus had a mix of old and new. Their garments appeared old fashioned but they had advanced ships (the saucers). Could be a running theme in their civilization.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Infected on Apr 02, 2017, 01:52:27 PM
Quote from: fiveways on Apr 02, 2017, 01:39:29 PM

So, ya.

I can certainely say we wont see any human sized  engineers, unless they are younglings.

I think that shot will look very different in the final product.  While I've never hear of the gentlemen in the video before, they seem pretty sure the race bombed isn't engineers.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as they've seen way more footage than we have, and it is further along in the editing process.  So they probably started as engineers, and someone had an idea for the third movie and it got changed along the way.

There are also reports earlier versions of the film didn't make a lot of sense (thus all the various test screenings).  Sounds like they might have added some narration and changed the look of the race (so the shot with davey walking through the field will end up being heavily edited which won't be hard since I doubt that is the final render of it anyway).

Before someone mentions the anatomy study of the engineer in the trailer, we have no idea where that came from.  Lots of time has passed since Prometheus and this film.  It might not be part of this planets population.  Hell, they might not even explain where it came from (adding to the overall mystery of it). 

This could easily be the Fifield of Alien Covenant (in regard to how his look went from proto alien kinda thing to boring melting-zombie Fifield).  I still want to see the cut of Prometheus where Shaw runs him over just to see how that pacing change impacted the movie (shifting that scene later in the movie while they are on their way to meet the engineer).  This actually sounds a lot like Prometheus editing wise.  That doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.  I don't feel like there is a true vision, there is a script and a lot of ideas and they are putting it all together in editing.  Cynical?  Totally.

Personally, I'd rather see it be another species.  I think there is a lot more gas in the engineers tank and jobbing them out in the beginning of the second film is a poor choice (if that is what is left of their society and they are just not a rogue faction that split off and rejected technology, like Amish engineers). 
Spoiler
I think the same thing about them possibly killing Shaw off camera.  If a character is interesting enough to send time focusing on, they deserve an on-screen death.
[close]

bunnyavpg

bunnyavpg

I seriously think that David views all creations of the original Engineers as 'human' and those on LV-223 were just the 'end product' of humanity - a bio-mechanical creature intent on waging war and destruction.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

We know there are Engineers on the planet.  David has one pinned up in his workshop. 

Is it possible we have Engineers on this planet teaching their creations?  We know Engineers came to earth and taught/upgraded humans.  Could we be seeing the same process here, and David is dropping goo on both Engineers and some other species they created. 

As far as David dropping the goo and killing thousands.  It sounds like David hates humans and feel morally obligated to keep us from spreading throughout the stars.  He feels he's operating from a morally superior position.  How does he reconcile killing life of this planet to advance his goals?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed