New Alien Covenant Poster!

Started by SuicideDoors, Mar 23, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

Author
New Alien Covenant Poster! (Read 54,754 times)

fernandito

fernandito

Of course, but if there's no marines, pulse rifles, queens and alien warriors getting blasted away with slingshots then it is not an alien movie

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: fernandito on Mar 27, 2017, 07:55:21 PM
Of course, but if there's no marines, pulse rifles, queens and alien warriors getting blasted away with slingshots then it is not an alien movie

Said no one ever

fernandito

fernandito

It's all about subtlety

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: fernandito on Mar 27, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
It's all about subtlety

It's about hyperbole more.

There are very few "Aliens" fans here that aren't also "Alien"  fans.

fernandito

fernandito

There is only the sequel. The first and the third movies are a misconception of the second

No hyperbole

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 27, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 27, 2017, 05:00:42 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 27, 2017, 03:58:33 PM
My problem (if you can call it that) is not that a lot of aliens were killed in the film, but that a lot of those killings were played as jokes, or near jokes: the APC squash, Vasquez pinning one to the wall with her leg, Hudson's final 'monologue'. These were stand-up-and-cheer moments, which robs the alien of a lot of its power and menace.

Don't get me wrong, these moments are exactly right for the film that Cameron made. But it's quite a different vibe from the first movie!
I'd agree with that. And whilst Aliens was the best possible sequel it, in a way, killed the franchise. There was nowhere else left to go.

Oh no you don't. Don't blame the masterpiece ALIENS for all the garbage that followed. The sky was the limit for the franchise at that point.
They kind of milked it dry by that point. Cameron did the same with The Terminator. It's not that they aren't great movies (Aliens and T2), because they are... it's just that (IMO), Cameron 'goes large' as is his nature as a filmmaker... the consequence being that direct sequels can only really go backwards (or inanely try to replicate the same thing). It was quite obvious, when first watching Aliens, that he'd blown the wad of any potential follow on. Ripley, as a character, had no where left to go (whilst acknowledging that Cameron gave Ripley some significant character development), and the xeno had hit the ceiling with the inclusion of the uber xeno AKA alien queen.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Lol so literal bigness backed the franchise in a corner? "Well what were they supposed to do, introduce an EVEN BIGGER QUEEN!?"

Don't worry about size, just keep telling engaging stories in this universe. Aliens wasn't even that big anyway, but even if it were soooo huge that shouldn't obstruct franchise progress. Ridiculous, ridiculous.

Tell the story of the space jockey! Have the aliens take over a planet. Show me Weyland Yutani corp. Have us on a futuristic Earth.

"Man, I'm not going to watch that Aliens sequel, there are two less aliens. SMALL!!!"

Predaker

Predaker

Suggesting that ALIENS somehow hampered or prevented any future films from being classics alongside the originals is a bit disingenuous.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 27, 2017, 09:56:00 PM"Man, I'm not going to watch that Aliens sequel, there are two less aliens. SMALL!!!"

"We're gonna have the biggest aliens. The best aliens. Our aliens are gonna be so great your head'll spin. Everyone says so. They're gonna be YUGE!!!"

freehugs

freehugs

i love alien 3 (assembly).  i just wish someone would go back and update the cgi.  the cgi makes me pout :(

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Meanwhile, back on topic, I wonder what the next poster will be. There's surely going to be at least one more. The posters that have been released already are among my favourite in the whole series. I really loved that first Covenant poster though. Its a tough call as to which I prefer between it and this one.

fernandito

fernandito

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 27, 2017, 10:19:33 PM
Suggesting that ALIENS somehow hampered or prevented any future films from being classics alongside the originals is a bit disingenuous.
The damage on the creature was indeed irreparable, and all just to make his own version of starship troopers, as he even admitted not too long ago

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

i agree that the way Aliens was set made it really difficult for future movies as a lot of mystery was removed from the being.
offcourse Aliens had some elements in it that could have been better, but that's with any movie, really.
There's a reason Aliens is regarded the best sequel to a movie almost ever, and in some regards is even seen as better than the original.

there was enough to work with though.

the problem is, Alien3 completely killed and destroyed that. there was so much to go for and all the worst were taken.
They never had to kill the crew. That would have been a base for so much more.

And as Ridley said, he never understood why they didnt look into it's origins. They could have went there with Alien3.
Where did it come from, why?

Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, Newy all waking up from reaching 'home base' and in discussion with Weyland Yutani chairmen.
Undermining what happened and being suspicious of Ripley's deeds and removing Hicks decorations and deactivating Bishop.
Bishop stating that they sent another vessel when discovering the nuclear explosion on 'acheron' and taking a batch of eggs
with them, having been frozen solid and brought to a space station for investigation.
Hicks suggesting they have to go there and stop what's going on before it's too late since they have no idea what they're doing.
You would get more or less the Alien Isolation story, which is an awesome story really.

They also would have brought material from the derelict and discover it had communicated to a specific planet when crashing,
opening the story for the origins story.

instead, they came with the most stupid ideas ever like a wooden planet with monks.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: freehugs on Mar 28, 2017, 04:09:48 AMi love alien 3 (assembly).  i just wish someone would go back and update the cgi.  the cgi makes me pout :(

The Alien in the third film wasn't CGI...

It surprises me that people still think it was.

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2017, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: freehugs on Mar 28, 2017, 04:09:48 AMi love alien 3 (assembly).  i just wish someone would go back and update the cgi.  the cgi makes me pout :(

The Alien in the third film wasn't CGI...

It surprises me that people still think it was.

Well, the juxtaposition of the puppetry and the camera work in certain scenes gives off the effect of poor CGI. That's the confusion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed