Scott on Covenant 2, Possible Title (Alien: Awakening?) and Shaw's Role

Started by Anthony, Mar 17, 2017, 02:50:38 PM

Author
Scott on Covenant 2, Possible Title (Alien: Awakening?) and Shaw's Role (Read 38,892 times)

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 21, 2017, 05:07:42 PM
he didn't say it was a guarantee of box office success.
And?

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 21, 2017, 04:59:08 PM
Keep in mind that Covenant's production budget is more than twice that of Life. That means that the marketing budget will also be considerably bigger. So that is already almost a guaranteed box office win for Covenant vs Life, nevermind it's existing brand recognition.

However, Life may still end up being more successful if it does District 9 type numbers, since it will be a lot easier to recoup it's small budget. So Covenant could make more money but still lose out to Life if you know what I mean.
My original assertion somewhere above was simply that Life could steal some of Covenant's thunder. Covenant is Alien's last gasp. It's a tired, screwed-up franchise. Prometheus did okay, but it did the franchise no favors. If Covenant fails, I think it's going to be a long time before we get another Alien film. So far, everything we've been shown says Covenant is more of what we've already seen. It's stale, and the mythology is increasingly goofy. Now, Life is clearly homage to Alien. But it looks great, has a cast of reasonably popular actors, and comes out first. With all that in mind, I agree with what you're saying.  And none of this contradicts my original statement.

I can't wait to see how this gets misinterpreted.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

No, YOU And?.

Yeah dude Life could make a billion bucks and Covenant could make 25 dollars but it's not likely that Life will undermine Covenant in any capacity. If anything people will just wait until Covenant to get their fix and skip Life.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 21, 2017, 06:57:44 PM
No, YOU And?.

Yeah dude Life could make a billion bucks and Covenant could make 25 dollars but it's not likely that Life will undermine Covenant in any capacity. If anything people will just wait until Covenant to get their fix and skip Life.
You're very defensive, dude. It's too bad my opinion conflicts with your worldview, but you have only emotion to support your position. Fact is, both are monster movies that pay homage to Alien, and they will be released within two months of each other. Neither shows any sign of being great. Both appeal most to the same segment of the audience. Life has a cast that is popular with casual movie audience and will be released at a time when the theater has few other attractions. The Covenant-related materials released so far have ranged in quality from underwhelming to good. The Life materials so far have been uniformly good. Life is a stand-alone movie while Covenant is a sequel to an ambiguously ill-defined prequel that relies on audience interest from other movies, especially Alien and Prometheus. To say Life can't possibly steal some thunder from Covenant or undermine Covenant seems disingenuous at best. Note: I have not made any ridiculous or outlandish claims, such as "Life will totally trounce Covenant at the box office." I made the one mild assertion that has caused surprising sourness and misunderstanding among a small but apparently polarized segment of the local population. Do you understand?

BishopShouldGo

Alien: Covenant pays homage? It's an ALIEN MOVIE.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 21, 2017, 08:29:31 PM
Alien: Covenant pays homage? It's an ALIEN MOVIE.
You pick out one awkward phrase without refuting anything?  ::) Safe to say, you lose.

PierreVW

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 21, 2017, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 21, 2017, 06:57:44 PM
No, YOU And?.

You're very defensive, dude. It's too bad my opinion conflicts with your worldview, but you have only emotion to support your position. Fact is, both are monster movies that pay homage to Alien, and they will be released within two months of each other. Neither shows any sign of being great. Both appeal most to the same segment of the audience. Life has a cast that is popular with casual movie audience and will be released at a time when the theater has few other attractions. The Covenant-related materials released so far have ranged in quality from underwhelming to good. The Life materials so far have been uniformly good. Life is a stand-alone movie while Covenant is a sequel to an ambiguously ill-defined prequel that relies on audience interest from other movies, especially Alien and Prometheus. To say Life can't possibly steal some thunder from Covenant or undermine Covenant seems disingenuous at best. Note: I have not made any ridiculous or outlandish claims, such as "Life will totally trounce Covenant at the box office." I made the one mild assertion that has caused surprising sourness and misunderstanding among a small but apparently polarized segment of the local population. Do you understand?

Actually, Life is bombing. It's expected to do ONLY 28 Millions this weekend.

PROMETHEUS(3D) did 40 Millions in its first week. ALIEN: COVENANT(3D) is going to do 45 Millions in its first week.

But I suppose you are NOT talking about money. EVERYONE knows that ALIEN: COVENANT(3D) is going to do MORE money than Life.

I suppose you are talking about critics. But 90% of people DON'T care about critics. That's why bad movies like TRANSFORMERS V or PIRATES 5 are going to do A LOT money like always.

SiL

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 21, 2017, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 21, 2017, 12:01:11 PM
Covenant has brand recognition and a fanbase.
That's not exactly an ironclad guarantee of box office success. Alien is no Star Wars. It's not even Transformers, in terms of box office numbers or fan appeal.
Never said it was. You asked why we said Life would lose out instead of Covenant: simple answer, one has more anticipation behind it than the other. If people are that limited on monster on a spaceship movie tolerance, the relative unknown will lose to the returning champ.

Dangerous Days

Unlike Prometheus, I hope Covenant ends up as a self-contained film, that doesn't need a sequel to explain itself. So at least if it does tank at the box office, we will not be left in narrative limbo.

People moan about the Alien franchise being tired or creatively bankrupt, but I'd easily go for 6 more Alien films than just one more bloody superhero movie.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 21, 2017, 05:28:56 PM
My original assertion somewhere above was simply that Life could steal some of Covenant's thunder.

Fair enough, that's certainly possible but I don't think it would do so to any egregious degree.

QuoteCovenant is Alien's last gasp. It's a tired, screwed-up franchise. Prometheus did okay, but it did the franchise no favors. If Covenant fails, I think it's going to be a long time before we get another Alien film.

It's highly unlikely to bomb if that's what you're suggesting by "fail". At worst it might make slightly less than Prometheus.

QuoteI can't wait to see how this gets misinterpreted.

My original response was with regards to you questioning SiL's statement that Covenant will suffer because of Life when the reverse is in fact considerably more likely with it's much bigger marketing budget.

And enough with the attitude dude.

Quote from: PierreVW on Mar 21, 2017, 09:19:14 PM

So in three days it would already have made back half it's production budget? That's a pretty big bomb!  :)

Scorpio

Life looks incredibly boring, granted I haven't seen it (and have no desire to).

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 21, 2017, 09:34:59 PM
::)

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 21, 2017, 10:26:30 PM
Life looks incredibly boring, granted I haven't seen it (and have no desire to).
Ironically, I recently observed that younger people find Alien boring. They actually like AVP better. The sample group is small, but I found it interesting all the same.

My original response was with regards to you questioning SiL's statement that Covenant will suffer because of Life when the reverse is in fact considerably more likely with it's much bigger marketing budget.
The real answer, and it was apparent all along, is that it can't be proved either way. There's no way to measure that particular effect in either direction.

Enough time wasted here.

CainsSon

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 21, 2017, 05:28:56 PM
My original assertion somewhere above was simply that Life could steal some of Covenant's thunder.

Fair enough, that's certainly possible but I don't think it would do so to any egregious degree.

QuoteCovenant is Alien's last gasp. It's a tired, screwed-up franchise. Prometheus did okay, but it did the franchise no favors. If Covenant fails, I think it's going to be a long time before we get another Alien film.

It's highly unlikely to bomb if that's what you're suggesting by "fail". At worst it might make slightly less than Prometheus.

QuoteI can't wait to see how this gets misinterpreted.

Quote from: PierreVW on Mar 21, 2017, 09:19:14 PM

So in three days it would already have made back half it's production budget? That's a pretty big bomb!  :)

Everything this says.

Sgt. Shanx

Sgt. Shanx

I hope as long as i live they will continue to add to this rich story...colonists, scientists, soldiers, synthetics, aliens...keep it coming...i dont care how many times they recycle this stuff...i cant get enuff sci-fi suspense and carnage

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 22, 2017, 02:26:41 PM
::)

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 21, 2017, 10:26:30 PM
Ironically, I recently observed that younger people find Alien boring. They actually like AVP better. The sample group is small, but I found it interesting all the same.

The real answer, and it was apparent all along, is that it can't be proved either way. There's no way to measure that particular effect in either direction.

Enough time wasted here.
man its crazy you said that because me and my 10 year old watched the AVP movies and afterwards Alien and to my surprise he liked Alien better...he said simply the first movie was scary and the AVP movies were excessively gory

eric sanders

I like it alien awakening is the next chapter after alien covenant love the alien series aliens forever

CainsSon

Quote from: rabidranger on Mar 17, 2017, 04:05:51 PM
This seems to support the idea that Shaw became one of David's test subjects.

On PARADISE, Shaw AND David are both 'ALIENS.' It makes sense if you think about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed