New writer credit in the new trailer: Dante Harper

Started by Anthony, Feb 28, 2017, 11:21:14 PM

Author
New writer credit in the new trailer: Dante Harper (Read 10,232 times)

Anthony

Anthony

Unfortulnately I can't upload a screenshot. Here's a link to the leaked trailer (his credit is at 2:28) :

Link removed at request of 20th Century Fox.

Only credits I could find for him is that he worked on Edge Of Tomorrow and is writing the Venom stand alone film at Sony.

Enoch

Indeed, that is a new thing...
What does it mean...
Maybe he wrote those reshoots... or what?

Anthony

Anthony

Wouldn't be the first time a writer was credited for reshoots (I.E.: Tony Gilroy for Rogue One)

Pvt. Himmel

Good find Ant. 8)

Corporal Hicks

Nice catch. Not sure which Dante Harper though. There was one who was writing Venom, one who is writing the new Akira and apparently worked on Edge of Tomorrow but isn't credited on IMDB.

Anthony

Anthony

It's the same Harper that worked on both Edge and Venom (and an old Akira draft) :

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spiderman-spinoff-venom-screenwriter-1201723111/

Also, I had no idea Harper worked on the Forever War film. I also find that funny since Jon Spaihts (Prometheus writer back when it was more Alien like) now writing it.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Its not a very encouraging sign when a movie has near 4 credited writers, there are a few exceptions.

Symon Joestar

Symon Joestar

Interesting, Edge of Tomorrow is a good adaptation of manga/light novel.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 01, 2017, 01:26:21 AM
Its not a very encouraging sign when a movie has near 4 credited writers, there are a few exceptions.

Well 2 of them only have a "Story By" credit, which implies not much of their material is in the final film.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 28, 2017, 11:48:48 PM
Nice catch. Not sure which Dante Harper though. There was one who was writing Venom, one who is writing the new Akira and apparently worked on Edge of Tomorrow but isn't credited on IMDB.

God I hope Ghost in the Shell flops so any American attempt at AKIRA gets axed.

Also it was the Venom one according to IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0363837/

Quote from: Anthony on Mar 01, 2017, 01:29:49 AM

Well 2 of them only have a "Story By" credit, which implies not much of their material is in the final film.

Or at least one of them turned in a complete script.  Hopefully like engineers it leaks to the internet (though engineers to me is an even bigger mess than prometheus).

"Story by

There is a common misconception that a "story by" credit may be given to a person who simply has the story idea for a film or television program. This is never the case, as all writing credits are for actual writing. A written story document or treatment, or in some cases, a complete script are required to receive "Story by" credit. A writer may be accorded a "Story by" credit, only, despite having written a complete script if, for example, a subsequent writer does a "page one rewrite" that entitles him/her to sole "Screenplay by" credit. For theatrical motion pictures, only, the first writer on an original screenplay is titled to no less than shared "Story by" credit. This is known as the Irreducible Story Minimum.[19]"

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: fiveways on Mar 01, 2017, 02:30:35 AM

Or at least one of them turned in a complete script.  Hopefully like engineers it leaks to the internet (though engineers to me is an even bigger mess than prometheus).

"Story by

There is a common misconception that a "story by" credit may be given to a person who simply has the story idea for a film or television program. This is never the case, as all writing credits are for actual writing. A written story document or treatment, or in some cases, a complete script are required to receive "Story by" credit. A writer may be accorded a "Story by" credit, only, despite having written a complete script if, for example, a subsequent writer does a "page one rewrite" that entitles him/her to sole "Screenplay by" credit. For theatrical motion pictures, only, the first writer on an original screenplay is titled to no less than shared "Story by" credit. This is known as the Irreducible Story Minimum.[19]"

Exactly. A recent example is Gary Whitta, who wrote the first script for Rogue One but only has a story credit in the final film.

fiveways

Quote from: Anthony on Mar 01, 2017, 02:43:13 AM
Quote from: fiveways on Mar 01, 2017, 02:30:35 AM

"Story by

Exactly. A recent example is Gary Whitta, who wrote the first script for Rogue One but only has a story credit in the final film.

I still haven't seen Rogue One.  I'll watch it when it hits netflix (as star wars is on canadian netflix)

Protozoid

Covenant will be Harper's first produced screenplay, unless he uses an pseudonym.

Is it possible - and I know this is weird - that Harper wrote the prologue and they are only crediting him because they used the prologue in the trailer? Or is the prologue officially part of the movie, now?

Hopefully four writers and a bunch of reshoots and recuts were good for the film...

Whiskeybrewer

Hmm intriguing, but its good to know they are still credited in some way.

Its very similar to Alien 3 in that regard with the Story by Vincent Ward credit and Larry Ferguson getting a co-writer credit, because Giler and Hill used some of his stuff, when they did their many rewrites

Valaquen

Like Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed