The title "The Last Supper"

Started by 7Xenos, Feb 24, 2017, 01:54:54 PM

Author
The title "The Last Supper" (Read 824 times)

7Xenos

7Xenos

Does anyone expect that AC will contain as many varied, vague and overt, references to Christianity as Pro did?

I loved McBride's character quoting Parker from A1 in re the quality of the ship's food.

I'm so glad they  found a lil time before going into cryo to eat drink and be merry, as we know soon most will die.

Its just a Xeno thang.

lv_226

lv_226

I think so. The title of the movie, for starters, promises that there will at least be some type of Christian-mythology tie-in. My wife, the other day, remarked that the ship, being a colonization craft, felt a bit like Noah's Ark (replace the ocean of the Flood with the cosmic ocean—may be a stretch, but metaphors were Prometheus' strengths and since this is a sequel of that film...)—a doomed Noah's Ark, that is. Also, we know that there is
Spoiler
some sort of Engineer facility in this film
[close]
and that would lend itself to all kinds of religious/mythological/philosophical implications. In Prometheus, the Engineer facility contained the Ampule Room which lend itself to a sort of temple/cathedral within the cavernous complex—if it was purely a weapon's lab, then why the iconography behind a sealed room?

Now, I don't think that there will be any space-Jesus nonsense here, but there definitely may be some sort of tie-in to Lucifer/Prometheus via David AND/OR the Engineers. What do I mean by this? The more and more I think about it, I believe that the title of the first film, Prometheus, deals with stolen technology and the dichotomous concept of creation and creator. Also, there is motif in that film about repetition/cycles that is rooted in mythologies the world over (don't have a citation handy, but you will just have to take my word for it), and this is represented by the Engineers possibly stealing the bio-mechanical tech from an ancient race—or they themselves being the slaves of an ancient race—only for its creation—presumably us—turning back and stealing the technology from them (there is a loose version of this theme—Weyland Yutani always trying to harness an Alien sample—throughout the Alien series)Think of the Ouroboros (the snake biting its own tail).

Then, there is the concept of Lucifer (both in Prometheus (Lucifer has been compared to the Titan, loosely, by trying to put man on equal footing with God) and Covenant (previously Alien:Paradise Lost from the novel by John Milton detailing the fall of Lucifer)) which I believe to be embodied by David and you have a narrative ripe with symbolism of all kinds.

What do you think?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

If they want to do a proper job at linking mythology, they need to look beyond exclusively references to Christianity (the modern incarantion of which, itself, has assimilated various stuff from other cultures). There are plenty of intriguing historical anomolies recorded in all sorts of global religions.

If it only deals with examining Christian analogies, I'll be disappointed.

Enoch

Enoch

Indeed. Christianity as other two Abrahamic religions is closely related to the Saturn worshiping and other ancient mythologies. Alien explored some aspect of Egyptian deities like Atum and sky Goddess Nut...Prometheus included some Norse and Mesopotamian mythological references. There are some pretty obvious references to the occult teachings, after all Giger was pretty obsessed with them. All religions are a mere mirror of human consciousness.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: Enoch on Feb 24, 2017, 04:42:23 PM
Indeed. Christianity as other two Abrahamic religions is closely related to the Saturn worshiping and other ancient mythologies. Alien explored some aspect of Egyptian deities like Atum and sky Goddess Nut...Prometheus included some Norse and Mesopotamian mythological references. There are some pretty obvious references to the occult teachings, after all Giger was pretty obsessed with them. All religions are a mere mirror of human consciousness.

Jung's collective unconscious would like a word with you.

Enoch

Enoch

Well, he was not wrong in his observations regarding this matter.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: Enoch on Feb 24, 2017, 05:02:04 PM
Well, he was not wrong in his observations regarding this matter.
Could you elaborate, please?

Enoch

Enoch

QuoteAccording to Jung, the human collective unconscious is populated by instincts and by archetypes: universal symbols such as the Great Mother, the Wise Old Man, the Shadow, the Tower, Water, the Tree of Life, and many more.

Let me illustrate it with few images.

Kabbalah and tefillin (Judaism), Kaaba (Islam), Cube and star (Saturn worshiping), Cube is actually a cross like shape  (Christianity), The Cult of Cybele...... and it goes on...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed