NECA's The Predator Figures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 01, 2017, 01:20:37 PM

Author
NECA's The Predator Figures (Read 88,144 times)

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 11, 2018, 01:42:09 AM
I'd bet money if I had any that lazy Neca will strike again with this film.
Elaborate.

The Old One

The Old One

Look at the Neomorph joints, look at the Covenant Eggs seam lines and paint job.
Look at any of their Alien domes.

Blade Runner line was..  yikes.

dHunter333

dHunter333

And to think I love most of those figures

426Buddy

426Buddy

They are fantastic for the price point, you wont find better for 25 bucks.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 11, 2018, 11:17:33 PM
They are fantastic for the price point, you wont find better for 25 bucks.

That's only because they have a monopoly on a niche brand, a Play Arts Kai Alien is only double the price of a NECA Alien and the quality is so above and beyond NECA's it's laughable.

There's no worth in anything that 1/2 the time falls apart and is sculpted shoddily with cheap plastic, you'd be better off with nothing in most cases.

Bottom line their Alien work is pathetic no matter how cheap it is.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Heh, only double the price.  :laugh:

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The only complaint I have with their alien figures up to this point is the domes on the big chaps just suck.

I have three big chaps. Two of them have poorly fitting domes. The Isolation Stompy has a good dome, and the one in my AVP 2 pack has a good dome. The other two just don't sit right, and a lot of the ones I saw in stores don't sit right either.

But that's the only major issue i've ever had with NECA figures.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 12, 2018, 01:47:52 AM
Heh, only double the price.  :laugh:

Better to pick the expensive good one rather than the cheap okay one that might fall apart.

If the perfect organism isn't perfect what's even the point.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Oh well,

Personally i think the big chap and  alien3 neca figures i have look great and they came at a reasonable cost for a toy. Double the cost is actually a huge difference when you have a family and only a modest income.

Of course I grew up with a nearly complete collection of Kenner figures that I adored. So my standards must be far lower than others.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 12, 2018, 02:37:56 AM
Of course I grew up with a nearly complete collection of Kenner figures that I adored. So my standards must be far lower than others.

Not at all. I have a whole box of the kenner toys. I loved em growing up. Aliens, Marines, Predators. The only shame about them is I wish we had gotten some more movie accurate variants. Like a "Jungle Hunter" repaint of Renegade. And a single carded Alien Warrior from the 2 pack.

I think the sculpt work on the NECA Big Chap is great. It's just the design on that dome is really troublesome. They tend to be coming off on the front and back. I keep hoping they'll do an "ultimate big chap" with improved articulation and redesigned dome that fits on the head. Maybe include two versions of it where one is opaque and another translucent.

Anyway, as to the figures, being able to see "Fugitive" or "Captured" the only thing i'm not liking is that shoulder cannon. That honest just straight up sucks. The reason to have the cannon mounted to the back is so that it's locked to the direction of the torso. Having it on the shoulder armor like that seems like a bad idea from just about every angle. Otherwise I like Captured looks pretty cool.

Still Collating...

Neca does have some QC issues but the price/quality ratio is the best I've seen out of any company. Not only that, their QC has been improving and their most recent figures are just great. I have about 20 Neca alien and predator figures and only one ever broke after a massive shelf dive. As of now, their figures have amazing sculpts, great paintjobs, better quality and articulation and a great price. Another giant plus for me, they have the greatest diversity of characters I've seen. From comics to movies to games. 
Play Arts Kai has good quality, the articulation on their figures is only sometimes better than Neca's but that's it. IMO the sculpt on the Spitter and Lurker is not to my liking, especially the face, and the rest of the figure is just as good as Neca's. Neca had some really disturbing QC issues in the past, but I haven't heard recently anyone complain about a figure falling apart on it's own or out of the box. If that still happens from time to time, it's a lot less frequent and I hope that their customer service fixes that.
Play Arts Kai have great figures. But they're not worth their price IMO. If Neca continues to improve its standards, I wont have any complaints. Great price, great articulation, great sculpt and so much to choose from. I'd rather have 20 Neca alien and predator figs than 1 or 2 Hot Toys ones or a few Play Arts Kai, just as a personal preference.
As a collector, I appreciate the diversity and and affordability Neca provides. I know its not to everyone's liking and I'm not blind to Neca's faults. I just like being able to army build my xenos over the years with a modest income and choose from a plethora of different characters in their alien and predator lines.

Just look at the Alien in the Hadley's Hope two pack. It's a domed warrior and Neca's best alien to date.

von

von

Could this be the Upgrade Predator? Looks huge so I wouldn't doubt it!?Pic taken from NECA's twitter!

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 12, 2018, 03:17:36 PM.  .

Just look at the Alien in the Hadley's Hope two pack. It's a domed warrior and Neca's best alien to date.

Too bad you have to have Burke to get it.

But honestly, the Lurker has more diverse paint apps on its' head alone that the entirety of a NECA Alien.
The dome translucency is perfect. Not a single seam.
The articulation blows NECAs' out of the water and you'd know that if you ever held one that even the plastic feels like it's made of sterner stuff.

I'll give you an example about the articulation- can a NECA big chap or warrior crawl on all fours in the style of the Covenant Alien or the Runner, or even the Alien warriors in the vents at Hadley's Hope? No?
Well the Lurker can.

It's sad that an Alien figure can't crawl on all fours.
That's where I draw the line- that and misaligned domes.

DarthWall275

DarthWall275

Yes, Von, I believe that is the Upgrade, and it's one i'm particularly looking forward to, the sculpt looks great so far.

But regarding the Fugitive, i'm sure he has a much more greyed skin tone than the typical yellow tones the figure shows, just look at the recent screenshot from Empire.

von

von

Quote from: DarthWall275 on Jul 12, 2018, 05:48:06 PM
Yes, Von, I believe that is the Upgrade, and it's one i'm particularly looking forward to, the sculpt looks great so far.

But regarding the Fugitive, i'm sure he has a much more greyed skin tone than the typical yellow tones the figure shows, just look at the recent screenshot from Empire.

Cool, way cool!

Yes agreed but it seems like neca is opting for the "classic" pigmentatuon. The grey tones could just be due to the lighting in the ship's interior

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed