Michael Fassbender Talks David's Character Development

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 19, 2017, 04:10:56 PM

Author
Michael Fassbender Talks David's Character Development (Read 22,144 times)

juxtapose

Did'nt that Wayne Haag dude say something like the creation of the Xeno's and their origin will be left open. .

Corporal Hicks

Aye but I think it's likely the direction we're going with for the prequel films.

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Enoch on Jan 20, 2017, 12:31:43 AM
I don't see that coming from Ridley. David played a bit and that lead to
creation of some ...MORPHS but that certainly doesn't mean he made them in the first place!!!
Goo in combination with several other organism (+ under specific conditions) leads to creation of XENOLIKE
organism... I always thought that's at least clear.

For gods sake, a bunch of Engineers died 2000 years prior to Davids creation.
Guess how they died... something bursted from their chest, heads,... Are you still
sure David ORIGINALY created Xenos?
I didn't mean that he was the originator of the entire species. What I meant was that he'll likely turn out to be responsible for the creation of the classic Xenomorph.

XenoHunter99

It's a mistake to over-explain. The more that's explained, the more the story shrinks, hemmed in by its own explanations. That's what's happening here. The Space Jockey and the Alien never needed any explanation. It was enough to say they were ancient and alien things from beyond known space. That's the Lovecraftian aspect, the mystery. Ridley is reducing that to "Humans were made by bigger, balder humans" and "David 8 made the Alien." :o Also, I suspect grey turd alien from the poster and trailer is probably what Ridley means when he says Big Chap is back.  ::)

BishopShouldGo

I'd be so down if A lister Michael Fassbender turned out to be responsible for creating the Xeno we know. Who better? If I watch Alien and see the xeno I'm going to be thinking "Fassbender created that", and that is awesome.

Glaive

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 20, 2017, 03:34:21 PM
I'd be so down if A lister Michael Fassbender turned out to be responsible for creating the Xeno we know. Who better? If I watch Alien and see the xeno I'm going to be thinking "Fassbender created that", and that is awesome.

...and you just destroyed the entire series...

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Glaive on Jan 20, 2017, 05:13:15 PM

:laugh:

BishopShouldGo

Good. Glad I have that power.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Glaive on Jan 20, 2017, 05:13:15 PM

That's not entirely true. If anything, it makes the series even more complex. The xenomorphs being reduced to cannon fodder bugs almost killed the series imo. This would add some complexity. Prometheus has opened the door for more creative ideas going forward imo.

426Buddy

It certainly takes the alien out of ALIEN.

That and its just so contrived.

OpenMaw

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jan 20, 2017, 07:05:23 PM
That's not entirely true. If anything, it makes the series even more complex. The xenomorphs being reduced to cannon fodder bugs almost killed the series imo. This would add some complexity. Prometheus has opened the door for more creative ideas going forward imo.

*sigh* They were always intended to be "cannon fodder" in that sense. That's why they bleed acid in the first place.

That was a problem O'bannon wracked his head over for days and days while writing. "Why don't they just shoot the f*cking thing?!" Because he wanted to avoid the cliche "bullets cannot stop it!" He wanted a believable creature. An actual, honest-to-God organism.

So when the marines arrive with their rifles and start pulverizing the aliens, that is as O'Bannon always intended.  And even with that, Camereon still made them tough-as-shit. "We can't afford to let even one of those bastards in here." Handguns having little to no effect unless used as point blank range. There ability to change tactics, to circumvent defenses.

Also, ALIENS was a huuuuuuuge success and catapulted the series into an actual franchise. I would not say it "starts" there at all.  The series would not be nearly as big if they had just done another gothic-horror in space.

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 20, 2017, 09:49:48 PM

*sigh* They were always intended to be "cannon fodder" in that sense. That's why they bleed acid in the first place.

That was a problem O'bannon wracked his head over for days and days while writing. "Why don't they just shoot the f*cking thing?!" Because he wanted to avoid the cliche "bullets cannot stop it!" He wanted a believable creature. An actual, honest-to-God organism.

So when the marines arrive with their rifles and start pulverizing the aliens, that is as O'Bannon always intended.  And even with that, Camereon still made them tough-as-shit. "We can't afford to let even one of those bastards in here." Handguns having little to no effect unless used as point blank range. There ability to change tactics, to circumvent defenses.

Also, ALIENS was a huuuuuuuge success and catapulted the series into an actual franchise. I would not say it "starts" there at all.  The series would not be nearly as big if they had just done another gothic-horror in space.
That still doesn't justify the scene in which dozens of them mindlessly charge towards firing sentry guns.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 20, 2017, 10:10:52 PM
That still doesn't justify the scene in which dozens of them mindlessly charge towards firing sentry guns.

Sure it does. In the first instance they managed to get passed those sentries to the pressure door. When that didn't work, they doubled back and tried the direct attack in the hall. When that seemingly failed they doubled back again and tried from above. They adapted very quickly.

newagescamartist

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 20, 2017, 09:49:48 PM

Good point about the cannon fodder, and it definitely implies it was manufactured by someone/something for that very purpose. Not taking anything away from Cameron's film. It was masterful in its own way, and I'm extremely glad it was made. I just think the alien aspect got lost somewhere after that film. Alien 3 was a retread of Alien, and was beautifully made, but it didn't go any further into the mythos. I personally liked Resurrection's story, and enjoyed the mutant aspect of it all. None of the sequels other than Aliens really dived into the greater narrative, and tha's ok because it was about Ripley and the company. With Prometheus though, now we're talking about engineers, deacons, potential Gods and Devils, and all the stuff in between. I think David making the xenomorph we see in the original series is fine because of how it was played out. With subsequent films we can get more into the Alien universe, and I think that is what a lot of us wanted. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather have the film universe with xenomorphs, engineers, deacons, and who knows what else is coming more than just another xenomorph tale.

Master

But that jettison  whole Unknown Alien aspect out of  the series. The core element of the dark cold universe, with horrors older then time itself  is essentially thrown away.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed