USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant.

Started by Anthony, Jan 08, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Author
USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant. (Read 21,675 times)

cliffhanger

is it me, or does it look like the black spots are having smoke coming off of them?

could it actually be that it's the very moment david shoots off some stuff on the local residents which causes them to die and perhaps even vaporise?

Anonymous

Anonymous

give us a brand new kick ass non Ripley wannabe!

Master

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 09, 2017, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 04:33:53 PM
Ok. But there's nothing good in generic look. Story or not, visuals are important.

Looks good to me, they look really good actually imo.

Like I said, I like the looks even though they are generic.

Its just not going to be one the top things you remember about the film like the Pulse Rifle and Smart Gun were for Aliens. The guns were important enough to Cameron to make them a big part of film, no alien film before or since has really done that or wanted to.

Can't really agree with that statement.  A:R had very distinct and cool looking guns. Did they dominated core story of the film? No.

[img]
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 09, 2017, 04:46:13 PM
Ok. But there's nothing good in generic look. Story or not, visuals are important.

Disagree, visuals is not everything, that is superficial. Practicality of the weapons would be a higher priority methinks.

Never said that. First two Alien films established strong visual language, very coherent with one another. Covenant, that is set very close to that era, should use it imo.

@Ingwar

Thanks for listening ;)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 06:57:41 PM

Its just not going to be one the top things you remember about the film like the Pulse Rifle and Smart Gun were for Aliens. The guns were important enough to Cameron to make them a big part of film, no alien film before or since has really done that or wanted to.

Can't really agree with that statement.  A:R had very distinct and cool looking guns. Did they dominated core story of the film? No.

[img]
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 09, 2017, 04:46:13 PM

Disagree, visuals is not everything, that is superficial. Practicality of the weapons would be a higher priority methinks.

Never said that. First two Alien films established strong visual language, very coherent with one another. Covenant, that is set very close to that era, should use it imo.

@Ingwar

Thanks for listening ;)

I apologize I did misread your post but I stand by what I did say about visuals, they are not everything, Important sure but not everything, especially when it comes to weapons, they need to be plausible and practical. I love Pulse Rifles but I doubt a gun of that size can have 99 bullets in its magazine.

BishopShouldGo

I must agree Master. I loved A:R's guns. Not as iconic as the pulse rifle but still very cool

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 06:57:41 PM

So you like the look? But you just said " OK But there's nothing good in generic look" ... That's why I commented that they looked good to me.

I didn't care for the weapons in A:R or think they were memorable in any way, they always looked like cheese to me imo.

Master

@The Cruentus

Ok. I'm glad we're cool .

I'm not saying bring on Pulse Rifles . Just asking for more coherence. In era of Alien and Aliens this chick with her gun looks like a guy with blunderbuss among ww2 soldiers. I know it's not military vessel but certainly cost substential ammount in adjusted dollars and certainly have more for protection then antiques.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 07:30:36 PM
@The Cruentus

I'm not saying bring on Pulse Rifles . Just asking for more coherence. In era of Alien and Aliens this chick with her gun looks like a guy with blunderbuss among ww2 soldiers. I know it's not military vessel but certainly cost substential ammount in adjusted dollars and certainly have more for protection then antiques.

Oh we never had an issue  ;D

Well...think Nostromo (future) vs Prometheus (past) tech is not always up to date and future vessel Nostromo is inferior to past vessel Prometheus tech-wise, regardless of the different purposes is of the ships.

Lonely Universe

Eh, I just watched A:R again a couple weeks ago & I can't remember any of the guns except CSI Warrick's silly wrist ones. I've probably seen it 20 or so times since it was in theaters.

Master

Oh come on. What`s not to love in Lacrima 99?

426Buddy

@The Cruentus

I dunno I guess, they don't seem that far behind Aliens. This is before Aliens and even in that film the guns do not seem that much more advanced. The pulse rifle and smart gun are still using ballistics even. Not only that but Vasquez actually has and uses a pistol from WWII, not to mention the racks of modern era weapons also seen on the sulaco. It just doesn't seem like there is all that big of a gap between these and the weapons in the sulaco which is still in the future and carries state of the art weaponry.

P.s. I don't know anything about firearms so this isnt an informed opinion.

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 09, 2017, 07:54:36 PM
@The Cruentus

I dunno I guess, they don't seem that far behind Aliens. This is before Aliens and even in that film the guns do not seem that much more advanced. The pulse rifle and smart gun are still using ballistics even. Not only that but Vasquez actually has and uses a pistol from WWII, not to mention the racks of modern era weapons also seen on the sulaco. It just doesn't seem like there is all that big of a gap between these and the weapons in the sulaco which is still in the future and carries state of the art weaponry.

P.s. I don't know anything about firearms so this isnt an informed opinion.

Hick's shotgun as well, old guns still get used.

Master

"Mad" Jack Churchill  was using claymore sword as side arm during WW2. Still main weapons were a tad more advanced.

Hemi

Wasn't there a picture with Frost and racks of modern guns in the back that weren't pulse rifles?

426Buddy

Quote from: Hemi on Jan 09, 2017, 08:17:13 PM
Wasn't there a picture with Frost and racks of modern guns in the back that weren't pulse rifles?

Aside from the pulse rifle and smart gun, none of the weapons were really futuristic looking, even then they didn't seem all that advanced.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed