Jed Kurzel is Alien: Covenant's New Composer!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 25, 2016, 09:02:04 AM

Author
Jed Kurzel is Alien: Covenant's New Composer! (Read 29,546 times)

jdxmoore

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 09, 2017, 02:14:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 09, 2017, 11:37:40 AM
There are two or three good tracks. The opening title I really like, Turn Hell Around and the soundscapes are nice, but on the whole it's a lot of whiny sounding violin and it grates. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Just finished listening to whole score again. It's ... boring. What a snoozefest. But I liked few tracks.

I see where you're coming from and agree to some extent but I think the score works well with that particular film i.e. choice of instrumentation, drones etc.  I think this composer has shown he is more than capable of producing a score that compliments the visuals and story.

Hope we get to listen to some soon!

Ingwar

In Vangelis's Blade Runner each tracks work as a stand-alone form of music. You can pick one of them and enjoy its beauty because they sound absolutely different. I can listen to it/them everyday and I never get bored. It's so amazing. When I listen to Macbeth soundtrack everything is almost the same. I'm not saying it's bad music. It works for the movie but it sounds so ... homogenous. It's hard (I'm not saying it's totally impossible) to distinct something unique from it. It's not the same like enjoying Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris. That's what I call a soundtrack with capital S! It's Epic.

NickisSmart

Yeah but that score set the bar extremely high. Few approach its excellence.

SiL

I miss Basil's scores. Conan's OST works as a standalone piece, which is really lacking in modern music.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteHere we go. Alien: Covenant mix.  Out May 19. You'll not be disappointed

https://twitter.com/MusicEditorcouk/status/831071570265329664

Pvt. Himmel

Nice!!! is that 192 frames means the actual film??

SiL

192 frames at 24FPS would be 8 seconds.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 11:05:24 AM
192 frames at 24FPS would be 8 seconds.

Ok, Thanks. 8)

dlb

really looking forward to the soundtrack! Macbeth is indeed a whole different animal, the score suits the movie very well as it is dialogue driven as you can guess from a Shakespeare adaptationand I am sure Kurzel is going for a different direction with Covenant.

I would be thrilled to have bits and peaces of this oriental/norse/tribal sounding soundscapes paired with some sci-fi that harkens back to the original Alien score. Something that sounds a bit more like the Arrival soundtrack but cranked up a little and with faster pacing.

I wasn't too impressed with the Prometheus soundtrack apart from some major and epic cues so I would love to have Covenant being a return to form. The Alien soundtracks have been rather amazing even resurrection was great!

Assassin's Creed I yet have to give a listen to.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 09, 2017, 02:14:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 09, 2017, 11:37:40 AM
There are two or three good tracks. The opening title I really like, Turn Hell Around and the soundscapes are nice, but on the whole it's a lot of whiny sounding violin and it grates. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Just finished listening to whole score again. It's ... boring. What a snoozefest. But I liked few tracks.

It works great in the context of the film set against the scenes, but yeah on its own, it's redundant. I don't think the music for A:C will be similar.

SiL

Even on the film it starts being noticeable repetitious and grating. The opening track is great regardless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed