HIDEOUS PLASTIC

Started by windebieste, Dec 08, 2016, 03:23:26 AM

Author
HIDEOUS PLASTIC (Read 21,086 times)

windebieste

windebieste

@ C. Hicks: Contacting Fox was handled by my IP Consultant.  I really don't know who he corresponded with.

@ P. Organism:  Originally, the book was to be titled: 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC: 1979 Kenner ALIEN Action Figure' but my IP consultant didn't like the use of the words 'ALIEN' and 'Kenner' in the subtitle.  So I pitched the alternate subtitle 'In stores everyone can hear you scream.' at him and he was totally supportive of that.  Titles are not copyrightable (It turns out they do not carry adequate literary content) but the use of trademarked content in the title could cause me issues. 

While the subtitle does bare resemblance to the 'ALIEN' tagline, 'In space no one can hear you scream', it's altered to mean something completely different and outside the original meaning Fox used to promote the movie.  The fact that the subtitle also serves as a parody assists greatly in keeping it within the bounds of copyright law(s).

That's my understanding of how it all works; and the laws do differ from one country to the next.  I'm not a Trademark Attorney - fortunately, I do know someone who is. 

@ Le C: Thank you for your support.  ...oh, and thank you for making the soundtrack to the launch video.  That sure made a difference!  (Ironically, the name of the piece Le Celticant composed for the video is called 'Perfect Organism'.  lol.)

Actually, now that I think about it, drop a link to your music page here.  You should share yer stuff.    ;D

-Windebieste.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Count me in, I would be interested to read about all the Kenner reps early opinions :P

windebieste

windebieste

It's one of the reasons I released the full chapter that deals with the early history of the figure for free.  While I have managed to reconstruct the events that lead up to the release of the figure, this is all done from an outsider's perspective. 

Now that the sample has been released, I am hoping for input from people who worked at the company at the time.  I've already had some welcome correspondence from a Guy who worked at Kenner during the 1990's.  So, I'm hopeful someone from around 1979 who worked there will also be able to provide some insight into such processes.  We shall see.  It's not too late to find out.   ;D

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 11, 2017, 11:16:39 AM@ Le C: Thank you for your support.  ...oh, and thank you for making the soundtrack to the launch video.  That sure made a difference!  (Ironically, the name of the piece Le Celticant composed for the video is called 'Perfect Organism'.  lol.)

Actually, now that I think about it, drop a link to your music page here.  You should share yer stuff.    ;D

It's not as much ironical as you would think hehe :D
Fits well the theme I think.

It was an honor and a great challenge to work on this.
I had no idea if I was up to the task to make theme for Alien.
I got so inspired that the other week I composed two more pieces ;D

The music in the video was slightly altered to fit the pacing and rythm of the cuts.

Here is the full soundtrack for anyone who wants to hear it:
https://geoffreyomega.bandcamp.com/album/monsters-from-outer-space
(it comes with free download).

---

Keep up posted with that kickstarter campaign !

Best luck !

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Nice!! Winde 8)

windebieste

windebieste

@Le C.:  Now that I have a hard copy of the current manuscript, I will be taking it to printers for quotes.  Getting very close to that KickStarter announcement but that won't happen until March.  It certainly won't take place any earlier than that as I will be undergoing hip replacement surgery on Jan 25th.  That will slow me down.  A little.   ;D

@Pvt. H.: Thank you.

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I really love it when people who are passionate about a subject, even an arcane one as this, find a way to build something out of it and share it in a palatable way ( a book, a film) with people.  Well done!

My best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Ingwar

Ingwar

@windebieste

Are you Polish Phil Wlodarczyk? :)

windebieste

windebieste

@P. Organism: Thank you.  Fortunately, I am blessed with a speedy healing ability.  Soon, I'll have the artificial skeletal augmentation to accompany it.  I'll be just like, y'know, Wolverine.  ...Wolverbieste?  lol. 

@I.war:  My father is Polish, hence the name; but I was born in Australia and only speak English.  (Actually, I claim to speak up to 4 languages: English, Bad English, Rubbish and Gibberish.  In this regard, I'm really fluent in Rubbish and Gibberish.  Oh, and Strine, too.  Make that 5 languages I know.  ;D )

-Windebieste.

Ingwar

Ingwar

@windebieste

I asked because I'm Polish. Just curiosity :).

Gruyères

Gruyères

Thanks for this, Windebieste!

windebieste

windebieste

Not a problem. 

Don't forget!  If you have downloaded the FREE Preview Edition then feel free to provide me with some feedback.  I don't mind if you choose not to but responding is encouraged.

I need to know if you found it factual and informative.  Was it easy to read?   Are there any glaring errors?  What would you like to see covered regarding the early history of the figure as outlined in this sample?  Anything you have to say, please send it to me.  You can just PM me here if you like.   

There's still a lot of work to be done on the book as a whole but this is the section that needs the most attention due to the difficult nature of piecing together the 30+ year old history of an old toy.   Take your time if you need to.  Publishing the book is still a good 8 months away!  At least.

Thank you everyone. 

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Gruyères on Jan 11, 2017, 11:53:36 PM

Well that makes three of us.  I came to Canada in late 82, but originally from Poland.  Witajcie Chlopaki!  Sto lat!

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 12, 2017, 02:53:47 AM
Quote from: Gruyères on Jan 11, 2017, 11:53:36 PM

Well that makes three of us.  I came to Canada in late 82, but originally from Poland.  Witajcie Chlopaki!  Sto lat!

Cześć ;)

windebieste

windebieste

'PROMETHEUS' very own cosmic goblin shark, the Deacon, as interpreted in 7 inch tall action figure format by NECA.

Cosmic goblin shark?  wtf? Am I serious..? 

Yep.  Absolutely!  Just watch the video at the end of the review.  You'll see.   ;D

Cosmic Goblin Shark um, Deacon REVIEWED!

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed